HSC Stuff > New South Wales Technical Score Discussion

ATAR/Scaling Questions

(1/45) > >>

jamonwindeyer:
ATAR/SCALING Q+A THREAD
To go straight to posts from 2018, click here.
What is this thread for?
If you have any questions about things like scaling, ranks, moderation or alignment - This is the place to ask! Why spend hours reading NESA documents when we can do it for you ;) 👌

To ask a question or make a post, you will first need an ATAR Notes account. You probably already have one, but if you don't, it takes about four seconds to sign up - and completely free!

bethjomay:
Hey Jamon! I was just wondering if you know how much your class's performance can affect your scaling? Some of my classes are pretty good but some (especially physics) are all pretty slack and don't really care about their atar that much except for me!

RuiAce:

--- Quote from: bethjomay on July 21, 2016, 04:52:51 pm ---Hey Jamon! I was just wondering if you know how much your class's performance can affect your scaling? Some of my classes are pretty good but some (especially physics) are all pretty slack and don't really care about their atar that much except for me!

--- End quote ---
Moderation is dependent on three factors:

1. Your rank in the cohort.
2. The relative mark differences in the cohort.
3. The top mark in the final exam. (Which you wouldn't know.)

Without information on this it is hard to say for sure what will happen.

Note that the actual raw internal marks THEMSELVES do absolutely nothing. It is only the relative mark differences and your rank that decide what happens. This is because schools that set harder assessments will be disadvantaged otherwise.

--- Quote from: conic curve on July 21, 2016, 04:55:17 pm ---I think that if you're coming first (or near first) you won't be affected by scaling. If you are first by a lot (i.e. there's a massive gap between you and second, you are getting 90% while the person coming second is getting 40% you'll be considered as an outlier)

I may be wrong, but it's better to ask Jamon (I was putting my thought out there just to help you out)

--- End quote ---
That's not exactly false tbh but way too blurry.

conic curve:

--- Quote from: bethjomay on July 21, 2016, 04:52:51 pm ---Hey Jamon! I was just wondering if you know how much your class's performance can affect your scaling? Some of my classes are pretty good but some (especially physics) are all pretty slack and don't really care about their atar that much except for me!

--- End quote ---

I think that if you're coming first (or near first) you won't be affected by scaling. If you are first by a lot (i.e. there's a massive gap between you and second, you are getting 90% while the person coming second is getting 40% you'll be considered as an outlier)

I may be wrong, but it's better to ask Jamon (I was putting my thought out there just to help you out)

jamonwindeyer:

--- End quote ---

Hey Beth!

Okay so Rui alluded to some of this stuff, I'll give you the short and sort of inaccurate version, the proper thing is in the article above!

Big question, and all the details are in the article above. However, the short (and slightly inaccurate) answer is, the better your class is, the lower your rank can be without adverse effect). Basically, if you are ranked 1st in a less than ideal class, it won't affect you, because you are first. If you are ranked low in a less than ideal class, then that is a bit more troublesome. This is because your rank plays a large role in determining your moderated school assessment mark.

If you are 4th, you (roughly speaking) will get somewhere near the 4th highest HSC Exam mark in your cohort. If you are 11th, you'll get somewhere near the 11th, etc etc. So, the lower your rank, the more you rely on your classmates to perform. In actual fact, your mark won't match exactly with the rank, everything is scaled to maintain mark separation as alluded to by Rui, but it's a good way to think about it nonetheless).

Of course BOSTES has limits in place, this is not going to cost you like 30 marks. But it would be a noticeable impact.

Your aim should be to perform at your absolute best. Your class' performance just means you have to work a little harder yourself. As long as your rank is solid and/or you really smash out your HSC, then you'll have no adverse effects whatsoever (besides an annoying class driving you nuts)  ;)

EDIT: None of this affects your HSC exam mark, that is yours alone, it only affects your moderated school assessment mark!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version