Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:21:30 pm

Author Topic: [Ask Me Anything] #4: RuiAce  (Read 14553 times)

HughMungus

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • I only know pi to 5 decimal places :(
  • Respect: +8
Re: [Ask Me Anything] #4: RuiAce
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2016, 11:11:29 am »
Roughly speaking, entropy is a measure of how 'chaotic' an isolated system is. The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics is (again roughly speaking), that systems are far more likely to tend to chaos than order (EG - gas molecules in a container that start in one corner end up dispersed throughout the container: Order to chaos) ;D

I did Thermodynamics in first year Physics, it was actually extremely interesting! ;D

I wouldn't say chaotic haha. Entropy is the measure of how many different states a set of particles can exist in. These include sets where they are in order and sets where they are in disorder. But there are far  more sets of disorder than order so probabilistically, you will end up with more disorder.
“I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.” ~Mewtwo

Monash Doctor (2021 -2022)
Monash BMedSci/MD (Class of 2020)
VCE(Baccalaureat)- 2015

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2016, 11:14:41 am »
I wouldn't say chaotic haha. Entropy is the measure of how many different states a set of particles can exist in. These include sets where they are in order and sets where they are in disorder. But there are far  more sets of disorder than order so probabilistically, you will end up with more disorder.

Yeah that's probably more accurate; "colloquialisation" ;)

karenc.

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 04:06:18 pm »
+1
Who is your favorite contestant on the bachelor this year?