Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:37:46 pm

Author Topic: [Ask Me Anything] #2: vox nihili  (Read 12684 times)

HighTide

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Sink or swim
  • Respect: +48
Re: [Ask Me Anything] #2: vox nihili
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 07:10:22 pm »
Hey champ,
Everyone has regrets about what they did and didn't do. What do you regret most not doing in any aspect (academically, socially, sports etc.) during your childhood, teenage years, and in your uni years? What would you change?

Preferably looking more towards the social and co-curricular aspects but generally just any advice you'd strongly voice for the younger graduates to come  :)

2014-2015: VCE
2016-2018: Bachelor of Biomedical Science

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 08:01:27 pm »
Hey champ,
Everyone has regrets about what they did and didn't do. What do you regret most not doing in any aspect (academically, socially, sports etc.) during your childhood, teenage years, and in your uni years? What would you change?

Preferably looking more towards the social and co-curricular aspects but generally just any advice you'd strongly voice for the younger graduates to come  :)

Hmmm it's a pretty difficult question.

Broadly though, I regret not having got more involved in social and co-curricular sort of things. For instance, I gave up a lot of opportunities to be on sports teams at schools because of time, when I really should have done more of that. I also wish I made an effort to be more outgoing.

They're not enormous regrets though to be honest, because I'm sure had I pursued those things, I would have regretted others. The best advice I can give, at least the way I see things, is that there's not a lot of sense in looking back and regretting things. If you wish you'd done something, then stop whining about it and do it. That's pretty well the way I see it, although part of me wishes I stuck to that a little bit more :p

Really great questions coming through guys, happy to keep answering more if you've got them :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
  • djkhaled305 is the key to success
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
Really great questions coming through guys, happy to keep answering more if you've got them :)
*Rises to the challenge*
How many bears could Bear Grylls Grill if Bear Grylls could Grill bears?
Fuck you english your eyebrows aren't even good
Why walk when you can stand on the shoulders of giants?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:08 pm »
+6
*Rises to the challenge*
How many bears could Bear Grylls Grill if Bear Grylls could Grill bears?

The question of how many bears, Bear Grylls could grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears is a really tricky one, so I hope you will bear with me as I try to work out how many bears Bear Grylls can grill.

When we think about how many bears Bear Grylls can grill, we have to consider both the size of the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill, and the size of Bear Grylls' grill (relative of course to the size of the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill). If the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill is too heavy for Bear Grylls' grill, then it stands to reason that Bear Grylls' grill won't bear the weight of the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill. There's also the question of space. Does Bear Grylls' grill have a hood, or is Bear Grylls' grill bare? In the case that Bear Grylls' grill is bare, one could expect Bear Grylls to be able to grill three bears (following the standard convention that a bare grill, like Bear Grylls' grill, can be used to grill 3 bears). If, however, Bear Grylls' grill is not bare, then—bear with me—Bear Grylls would only be able to grill 2 bears.

EDIT: re question on how I fight procrastination.......yeah, lol.

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 08:18:20 pm »
The question of how many bears, Bear Grylls could grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears is a really tricky one, so I hope you will bear with me as I try to work out how many bears Bear Grylls can grill.

When we think about how many bears Bear Grylls can grill, we have to consider both the size of the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill, and the size of Bear Grylls' grill (relative of course to the size of the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill). If the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill is too heavy for Bear Grylls' grill, then it stands to reason that Bear Grylls' grill won't bear the weight of the bear Bear Grylls wants to grill. There's also the question of space. Does Bear Grylls' grill have a hood, or is Bear Grylls' grill bare? In the case that Bear Grylls' grill is bare, one could expect Bear Grylls to be able to grill three bears (following the standard convention that a bare grill, like Bear Grylls' grill, can be used to grill 3 bears). If, however, Bear Grylls' grill is not bare, then—bear with me—Bear Grylls would only be able to grill 2 bears.

EDIT: re question on how I fight procrastination.......yeah, lol.
LMFAO well played Sir.

Well played.

You have my admiration

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2016, 06:46:22 pm »
+2
LMFAO well played Sir.

Well played.

You have my admiration

Hahaha probably my proudest achievement this year :p

Still taking questions though people; it's all gone a bit dead :(

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 07:04:27 pm »
Would you rather fight Sheldon Cooper (from Big Bang Theory) or Albert Einstein?

Not even sure why I'm asking this question right now...
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2016, 07:05:50 pm »
+2
As a Geelong man: Smorgy's yay or nay?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2016, 07:06:36 pm »
What's been the best day of your life?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2016, 07:49:04 pm »
+3
Would you rather fight Sheldon Cooper (from Big Bang Theory) or Albert Einstein?

Not even sure why I'm asking this question right now...

Does beating up a corpse really count though? I feel like I could take either one of them, but Sheldon gives more more fodder to want to fight, because he truly is a massive dick sometimes

As a Geelong man: Smorgy's yay or nay?

HAHAHAHAH I love this question.

Sorry to share this harrowing news, if it is indeed the first you've heard of it, but Smorgy's Geelong closed down about five years ago. It's now been replaced with a couple of fancy restaurants and a function area (which, incidentally, was used for Deakin's med ball last week).

Smorgy's was everything that was right about Geelong though. Take the best real estate Geelong, with plenty of history and then use it for a tacky all-you-can-eat restaurant. That place was great :')

TL;DR: yayyayayay

What's been the best day of your life?

Woah, hard question! There probably isn't a day that sits out though. Just, y'know, those days when you've spent the whole day with friends, just laughing your arse off, they're pretty special.
ATAR day and the day I found out I got into med were also special in their own way (though the latter was ruined a little by misinterpreting the conditions of my offer :p). They probably weren't the days I had the most fun, but they were special because they were an opportunity to just chill out for a few minutes and be glad you put in that work.
My first day in London (first day overseas in fact) was also pretty special. I was tired and stressed, but at the same time I was so excited by everything. I can remember being absolutely amazed by the fact that everyone queues really nicely on the escalators, and being amazed by their supermarket too, all the weird shit you could find.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2016, 08:03:09 pm »
+1
HAHAHAHAH I love this question.

Sorry to share this harrowing news, if it is indeed the first you've heard of it, but Smorgy's Geelong closed down about five years ago. It's now been replaced with a couple of fancy restaurants and a function area (which, incidentally, was used for Deakin's med ball last week).

Smorgy's was everything that was right about Geelong though. Take the best real estate Geelong, with plenty of history and then use it for a tacky all-you-can-eat restaurant. That place was great :')

TL;DR: yayyayayay

Haha yeah I'm aware it closed down, absolutely tragic news when I heard :'( I'm also one for the "yay" party, it was so tacky that it was beautiful, RIP.

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2016, 08:13:09 pm »
I didn't know Smorgy's closed down. This is not the way I wanted to find out  :'(

In the spirit of this, what is the most amount of Smorgy's desserts you had eaten in a night? As a kid, I may or may not have been addicted to the chocolate mousse.
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Swagadaktal

• SwagLordOfAN
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 08:16:16 pm »
Haha yeah I'm aware it closed down, absolutely tragic news when I heard :'( I'm also one for the "yay" party, it was so tacky that it was beautiful, RIP.
Can't say I agree there... I don't really remember much of the food but I remember it wasn't that nice. However, I do remember the taste of the ice cream that they served and wow the putrid taste remains forever plastered in my memory and there's nothing I can do to remove it :(

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 08:39:46 pm »
I didn't know Smorgy's closed down. This is not the way I wanted to find out  :'(

In the spirit of this, what is the most amount of Smorgy's desserts you had eaten in a night? As a kid, I may or may not have been addicted to the chocolate mousse.

Mousse and jelly were my favs <3

Can't say I agree there... I don't really remember much of the food but I remember it wasn't that nice. However, I do remember the taste of the ice cream that they served and wow the putrid taste remains forever plastered in my memory and there's nothing I can do to remove it :(

Yeah some of the food wasn't great, but it was all-you-can-eat so bound to have some duds in there hahaha

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 08:51:53 pm »

I have to confess that I only ever went to Smorgy's once. I do remember smashing an absolutely insane amount of the ice cream and the mousse, which went down very nicely tyvm.

Instead of Smorgy's, we used to go to Aces (or maybe Acers, can't remember), which was another all-you-can-eat joint. I shit you not, we opted to go there instead of Smorgy's because Smorgy's was "too expensive". Was the kind of all-you-can-eat place that all the pensioners went to on dates. We also had our grade six graduation there, which is pre tragic #publicschoolyf

Mousse and jelly were my favs <3

Yeah some of the food wasn't great, but it was all-you-can-eat so bound to have some duds in there hahaha

Knows what's up ^