Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:18:44 am

Author Topic: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce  (Read 45468 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2019, 07:09:37 pm »
+3
Oh my goodness, I have had the best week. I've been fairly productive, and also been super social and done all the things I wanted to do. I've eaten healthy food and worked out, but also eaten lots of my favourite foods. At the minute, everything feels really balanced. I feel just the right amount of stressed; enough to keep me motivated but not enough to be worried about things.

This week I have been solely focusing on studying for biology, and catching up on all of the things I've been meaning to do. I've been working on making chapter summaries and doing questions from BioBasics and the textbook. I've also been watching all of the Edrolo vidoes and doing worksheets from class.

When I wasn't studying I...
- Saw "Ride Like A Girl" with a friend. ;D (And got icecream after.)
- Met up with my Auslan group to do some practice.
- Saw friends from my old school.
- Went to visit one of my little girls at a respite centre (twice).

Hope you're enjoying your holidays and finding a nice balance,
laura <3

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2019, 07:59:35 pm »
Oh my goodness, I have had the best week. I've been fairly productive, and also been super social and done all the things I wanted to do.
Any advice for being productive?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2019, 08:24:57 am »
+7
I survived 58 hours with no internet, no phone and no laptop. No, I wasn't stranded in the middle of nowhere... I did it willingly (ish). I decided to be more productive than binge watch old seasons of survivor while mindlessly scrolling through Instagram. The initial goal was 72 hours, but I just couldn't hold off. The list of things I wanted to google had grown too long and my curiosity got the better of me.

At first I was just really, really bored. And I was thinking that the whole idea was pointless because I was feeling worse than before. But then I got out my art stuff, and then I cleaned my room, and then I did some homework. And I spent more time playing board games with my family. So in the end, it accomplished a lot.

I still have heaps of homework to do, but hopefully now that I'm a little more willing to get off social media, I'll find it easier to get things done.

Any advice for being productive?
Why not try an internet ban? Whenever I need to do homework, I just tell myself I'm going to, set a timer for an hour and don't let myself get distracted. I also have a planner where I can write in what I'm going to do for each hour of the day- that always helps.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2019, 08:57:10 pm »
Nice to see that you've been enjoying your holidays :)

I don't remember BioBasics being around when I did VCE, is it a practice question thing?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2019, 09:10:32 pm »
+2
I don't remember BioBasics being around when I did VCE, is it a practice question thing?
Yeah, our school buys us a book of questions for each unit. They have 10-15 chapters and each chapter has 30-50 questions, that we have to do each week. Mostly it's good revision, but there are some really obscure questions too.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2019, 09:00:44 pm »
+4
Cue that time of the holidays when you start to freak out about how much you still have to do. I've done heaps of biology work, but still feel like there is way more to do. I've written a rough draft of my English oral so I'm counting that as finished for now. I also have a maths test in the first week back so there is heaps of work that I've procrastinated as well as study to do...

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2019, 09:31:53 pm »
+3
Cue that time of the holidays when you start to freak out about how much you still have to do. I've done heaps of biology work, but still feel like there is way more to do. I've written a rough draft of my English oral so I'm counting that as finished for now. I also have a maths test in the first week back so there is heaps of work that I've procrastinated as well as study to do...
Is it mean if I say join the club........
I feel the exact same as you, and I can't believe the holidays are coming to an end...... it's like ahhhh I still have so much to do! Where did my time go!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2019, 10:37:31 pm »
+9
Hey guys,
So I opened my maths books yesterday, and although I had no idea what I was doing last term, I actually understand things better now. I have a test on Wednesday so I'm glad things are starting to make sense. I really should have started earlier but y'know- it's too late to change that this time.

I'm also super happy to say that I went to two AtarNotes lectures today. Although I never thought I could, I made it through (almost) the whole day (I missed the last half of the bio lecture :() and really enjoyed it. It took me 45 minutes to talk myself into walking in, and I almost bailed just about every time we got a break, but I learnt a lot and enjoyed myself. It was great to meet Owlbird83 and Erutepa, and hopefully this won't be the last time I get to meet AN people irl. Also, free pizza was great!

Even though I was feeling super drained this afternoon, I decided to go to a party. Regret. I enjoyed the first little bit, but it was really loud and overwhelming. I ended up crying in this tiny room with one of my friends getting me water and a blanket. (I wore the most skimpy dress imaginable and totally regretted it as we were outside all night and I was FREEZING!) Crying all my makeup off was super embarrasing, but not too many people saw me. Although, a couple of people tried to give me a hug while I was shaking and hyperventilating, and I was just thinking "Now, really?!", but I guess they thought they were being helpful even though I didn't know them super well. Common sense(ish) piece of advice for the day: If someone is having a panic attack and feels like they can't breathe, hugging them will probably make them feel worse, especially if you squash their lungs...

On an unrelated note, I still have heaps of work to do before Monday, but I feel like it's a manageable amount. There is more biology stuff I would like to get done, but the test isn't until week three so I'm going to focus on maths at the minute. For bio, I'm going to try some of the new study techniques I learnt today.

I should be at a lecture tomorrow afternoon, but I'm meant to be volunteering in the morning so I might not feel up to it. Let me know if you're going to be around and we can catch up! ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 10:40:24 pm by laura_ »

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2019, 09:34:07 am »
+1
Hi Laura!

It was so great to meet you at the lectures yesterday!  ;D

Sorry to hear about your party, I'm glad you had some good friends.

Good luck with biology! I hope you have a good start to the new term!   ;D
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2019, 08:41:04 pm »
+2
Hey Laura,
It was cool meeting you yesterday - it's always nice putting faces to names.
In the past there has been little AN forum meetups during school holidays, however, unfortunately, they haven't been organised for the last couple holidays. One might be able to be organised for after school ends in December or perhaps in January before school starts next year if you were interested in meeting up with more users.
Good luck with finishing your work for tomorrow!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2019, 01:19:22 pm »
Hey guys,
So I opened my maths books yesterday, and although I had no idea what I was doing last term, I actually understand things better now. I have a test on Wednesday so I'm glad things are starting to make sense. I really should have started earlier but y'know- it's too late to change that this time.

I'm also super happy to say that I went to two AtarNotes lectures today. Although I never thought I could, I made it through (almost) the whole day (I missed the last half of the bio lecture :() and really enjoyed it. It took me 45 minutes to talk myself into walking in, and I almost bailed just about every time we got a break, but I learnt a lot and enjoyed myself. It was great to meet Owlbird83 and Erutepa, and hopefully this won't be the last time I get to meet AN people irl. Also, free pizza was great!

Even though I was feeling super drained this afternoon, I decided to go to a party. Regret. I enjoyed the first little bit, but it was really loud and overwhelming. I ended up crying in this tiny room with one of my friends getting me water and a blanket. (I wore the most skimpy dress imaginable and totally regretted it as we were outside all night and I was FREEZING!) Crying all my makeup off was super embarrasing, but not too many people saw me. Although, a couple of people tried to give me a hug while I was shaking and hyperventilating, and I was just thinking "Now, really?!", but I guess they thought they were being helpful even though I didn't know them super well. Common sense(ish) piece of advice for the day: If someone is having a panic attack and feels like they can't breathe, hugging them will probably make them feel worse, especially if you squash their lungs...

On an unrelated note, I still have heaps of work to do before Monday, but I feel like it's a manageable amount. There is more biology stuff I would like to get done, but the test isn't until week three so I'm going to focus on maths at the minute. For bio, I'm going to try some of the new study techniques I learnt today.

I should be at a lecture tomorrow afternoon, but I'm meant to be volunteering in the morning so I might not feel up to it. Let me know if you're going to be around and we can catch up! ;D

lauRA ARE YOU OK
taking a break.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2019, 05:41:24 pm »
Really glad you enjoyed the lectures! We'll have a meet-up at the end of the year - should be awesome. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2019, 04:41:56 pm »
+11
Hello everyone,
Long time no see, but I'm back and feeling alright again! ;D In general things are good. Good in terms of my friends, school stuff and just life in general. I had a great time at a party last night, and I got to see some of my special little kids today so that was amazing!! We also went out for lunch for my dad's birthday.

I have a bio test tomorrow and a history assignment due, but I'm feeling pretty on top of my study. There's still more to do on the assignment, but not heaps more so I should finish it tonight without having to stay up too late at all.

Also, we got our exam timetables this week. I'm so annoyed- I have three exams on the same day. It isn't meant to be possible but because of my 1/2 subjects... it happened. I'm talking to my year level coordinator to see if I can get one moved because I don't want my results for bio or advanced maths negatively impacted because I'm tired and stressed out about doing three.

Also, on an unrelated note, I'm applying to be year level leader next year. I have to hand back a form tomorrow and give a speech on Thursday. I doubt I'll get it as heaps of people apply, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I also went to the swannie awards (for vic) on Friday night. Was anyone else there? ;D

Sorry this update is all over the place. As you can probably tell, I'm really tired but weaning myself from caffeine so I haven't had an energy boost.

“Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain… To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices – today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.” –Kevyn Aucoin
-laura <3

I hope you have a good start to the new term!   ;D
Thanks owlbird! <3 Hopefully we'll see each other again soon.

Really glad you enjoyed the lectures! We'll have a meet-up at the end of the year - should be awesome. :)
Sounds amazing!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:43:38 pm by laura_ »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2019, 05:20:53 pm »
What's the go with year level leader? What does that involve? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2019, 06:53:18 pm »
+4
I hope that you get one of your exams moved, three in one day is too much!
Also, how come you have 2 maths exams? Is one with a calculator and the other without?
Yeah, one with calculator and notes and one without. I actually used to much prefer the technology free exam, but now that I discovered my love of application questions, I think that I'll actually enjoy having my cas.
Our school only makes Year 10's in the spesh/methods stream to two maths exams, so I low-key wish I was in mainstream.

What's the go with year level leader? What does that involve? :)
Being the year level leader means that you meet with the school captains and other year level leaders to plan some whole school activities across the year which includes Founder's Day and R U OK day at our school. You also run some events just for your year level. In the past we've had mindfulness/meditation stuff, a volleyball competition and trivia. A lot of the application emphasised being supportive of others and just generally being a positive presence at school. ;D