Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:05:28 am

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 336319 times)  Share 

Ask Monash University

• Official Representative of Monash University
  • Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
  • Respect: +14
Ask Monash University
« on: August 13, 2015, 10:01:24 am »
+21
Hi everyone! This is the Monash ATARNotes team – Rachel, Maneesh and Sam. We’re excited to announce that from today, we will be on ATARNotes to respond to your questions about university life, and, of course, about all things Monash.

Each week, we’ll dedicate Thursdays from 10am–2pm to answer your questions. Obviously, you can post on our thread whenever you want – just check back after 2pm on Thursdays for our replies.

So, a little bit about us. When we’re not answering questions on forums like ATARNotes, chances are we will be chatting to you over email, phone or in-person about your study options, and letting you know what to expect once you’ve finished high school. We enjoy spending time visiting schools and hearing about the challenges of Year 12 and VCE. If you see us around at your school or at a Monash event, make sure you say hi.

Just a few important things to remember about talking to us via this forum. There may be some things that we can’t publicly discuss online, in which case we’ll take them offline and make other arrangements for responding. Also, if you ask something we don’t know the answer to, we’ll have to do some research and may not be able to give you an immediate answer. If your question needs a quick reply, you’re always welcome to contact 1800 MONASH (1800 666 274) to talk through your options.

We’re looking forward to hearing from you and hopefully providing some useful tips and information.

See you in the forum,
Monash ATARNotes Team.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:08:08 am »
+1
Hey guys!

I can confirm that this thread is legitimate/official and the people giving you answers are super knowledgable! This thread will be an awesome and highly convenient way to get your Monash questions answered!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Adequace

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 7-1 never forget.
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 11:38:03 am »
Hey,

What are the requirements to be eligible for an athletic scholarship at Monash? I'm under the impression I'd have to make state level or higher consistency, would this be true?

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:12 pm »
Hey,

What are the requirements to be eligible for an athletic scholarship at Monash? I'm under the impression I'd have to make state level or higher consistency, would this be true?

You are correct- you need to be competing regularly in your sport at the highest level in your state or above.  For more information, visit this page.
Monash University ATAR Notes team. For more information about Monash and our courses visit study.monash

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »
Hey Monash team!

I remember last year that there were honors talks (for science) happening around this time, but I can't seem to find any information on these talks. Do you know where I might be able to find this?

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:24:33 pm »
I just want to clear this up, if you're applying for a transfer after one year in undergrad, do they still check up on your ATAR and study scores? Or just your WAM in first year?

Thanks!
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 12:29:50 pm »
This might be too broad, but what are the major differences between biomedicine at Monash as compared to Melbourne uni?
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 01:40:10 pm »
This might be too broad, but what are the major differences between biomedicine at Monash as compared to Melbourne uni?
Firstly, it's Biomedical Science at Monash, Biomedicine at UniMelb. Secondly, and most obviously, the latter has generally had a higher ATAR cut-off. Interestingly, there was something like a 5 point increase (ATAR-wise) from the 2014 and 2015 intake at Monash.
In terms of med prospects, Monash post grad only accepts their own students, and a minimum of 75 of these places are exclusively reserved for BMedSci students.
Monash don't have breadth subjects, they just have electives, which means you can choose units within the same faculty of your degree e.g. you can take chemistry, maths etc. electives within your BMedSci degree.

There are probably many more but these are the most significant imo.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 01:50:14 pm »
Monash will probably have a lot to say, but I just thought I should clear up some of the things grannysmith might have gotten confused about:

In terms of med prospects, Monash post grad only accepts their own students, and a minimum of 75 of these places are exclusively reserved for BMedSci students.

Actually, they only take 75 students each year - it's a minimum of 50 places that get reserved for people in the biomedical science degree.

Monash don't have breadth subjects, they just have electives, which means you can choose units within the same faculty of your degree e.g. you can take chemistry, maths etc. electives within your BMedSci degree.

This is true, but it's important to note that the biomedical science degree is actually run by the faculty of medicine, not the faculty of science, so you can only take up to 6 units of electives in things such as chemistry or maths, but you actually get 10 electives - which means that 4 of these electives /have/ to come from an approved list of units (more like "selectives" than "electives" in that regard, but to just avoid confusion, considering this isn't enough for a major, when technically at Melbourne you can get enough for a major [even if they don't reward it to you])

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 02:24:51 pm »
BMedSci degree.

In Monash, we call that "Bachelor of Medical Science", which is the optional research Honours year for med students :P BBiomedSci is more appropriate :P

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 03:25:59 pm »
In Monash, we call that "Bachelor of Medical Science", which is the optional research Honours year for med students :P BBiomedSci is more appropriate :P
LOL whoops looking too much into Griffith :P
*BBMedSci perhaps?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 04:35:21 pm »
This is an appreciated thread. Thank you for your time.

I have been waiting for a couple of months to apply for Honours (School of Literatures, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics), commencing Semester 1, 2016. I have been hesitant, because my reading was that online applications were only available for Semester 2, 2015. Now that I check again, the link (below) seems to be broken.

http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/future-students/applications-and-eligibility/

Is this just a case of being too eager? Will the online applications for Semester 1, 2016 become available soon, or am I simply looking in the wrong place?

Thank you. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:38:21 am »
+2
Hey Monash team!

I remember last year that there were honors talks (for science) happening around this time, but I can't seem to find any information on these talks. Do you know where I might be able to find this?
Hi there!  The Monash Science faculty has just finalised their honours talk date for Friday 11 September.  If you have an idea of what area you want to do your honours in, you can approach the relevant school/department as they may be holding a more specific information session around the same time.  A handy website to keep an eye on for updates is this one.

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 10:43:39 am »
+2
I just want to clear this up, if you're applying for a transfer after one year in undergrad, do they still check up on your ATAR and study scores? Or just your WAM in first year?

Thanks!
Course transfers after first year are awarded on the basis of your WAM for that year, however you must ensure that you meet all prerequisites, their associated study scores and extra requirements for the course you are hoping to transfer into.  Refer to this page.

Ask Monash University

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Monash University
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 11:04:35 am »
+3
Hi everyone, thank you all for helping to answer cosine's initial question. Just to clarify a few things- firstly, we're unable to make direct comparisons with our courses and the courses of other institutions, as we're not experts in their courses.  We would encourage you to continue helping each other out with these kinds of questions, however to be sure it's best to check course facts with an institution representative.

So, onto our Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree.  You can visit this page for course details, including indicative ATARs and a course structure map. For information about using our Bachelor of Biomedical Science as a pathway to Monash Graduate Medicine, the best place to start is here. We can confirm that from 2017, 50 places in our Graduate Medicine program will be reserved for Monash Biomedical Science students.

Also, thanks to pi for clarifying- there is a distinction between a 'Bachelor of Biomedical Science' and 'Bachelor of Medical Science' at Monash. The latter is an optional research year for MBBS students.