Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:50:00 am

Author Topic: whys' VCE journal  (Read 79721 times)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: The Adventures of VCE | whys' journal
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2019, 06:22:04 pm »
+8
18/07
This is a very quick update I'm making because I'm in a super good mood and I want to share it! I got my english outcome back (our creative essay) and I got full marks on it! I mean I was TOTALLY not expecting this and I'm super happy and I told my mum and she was super happy too! Usually she's not as enthusiastic, getting a good score and telling her would usually yield something like 'oh, that's good' and that's all, but this time round she was very proud. I even made brownies to celebrate :D. Apart from that, I still have to get my psych sac back that I did last term. It was the poster sac. I really hope our teacher has marked them and will give them to us soon! I'm very nervous (and eager!) to get it back, and I really hope I did well. That's all folks! Have a great night :)

EDIT; I FORGOT TO MENTION I WATCHED THE LION KING LIVE ACTION YESTERDAY OH MY GOD
I cried throughout the whole thing - it was my childhood oh man, and seeing it brought to life was so nostalgic and literally everyone burst into tears when Mufasa died.I do have a few things I was disappointed with in the movie, but I can definitely ignore that because it brought me back to my childhood (even though it didn't beat the cartoon haha, the cartoon is the og). It was 100% worth it, and I'm so glad they made a live action of the lion king. I can't wait to buy it on DVD so I can watch it 24/7 like I used to do with the cartoon when I was younger. I literally have every dialogue memorised and the original lion king will always be my favourite movie of all time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:32:13 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2019, 07:12:04 pm »
+4
Fantastic to hear! Earned through lots of hard work, I'm sure! Also, yum, BROWNIES!!!!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2019, 02:30:41 pm »
+8
28/07
Slowly but surely getting through all that homework. I have a psych sac in just over a week (8 days) and I still haven't made notes for any of the assessable topics haha whoops. I'll get to that today, though. I also forgot to mention this earlier, but I've been working through unit 4 chem work. This is partially because we just did organic chemistry and polymers at school, and it's my favourite topic in chem. I literally leapt for joy when I realised basically all of unit 4 is organic chemistry. I've been finding the unit super enjoyable, and I've mostly been doing it to extend my learning and spice up the boring limitations of 1/2 chem. Hmmmm, what else.... we still haven't gotten back our poster sac for psych which we did LAST TERM. The teacher said someone still hasn't done the sac. We've all been frustrated because everyone wants it back, and the suspense has been killing us so much. I also need to collect my food studies sac from my teacher, so probably on monday. I really hope I did well. The next sac is just an essay, so that won't be too bad (hopefully). Just 4 more sacs to go for the year, and then obviously the outcomes from my 1/2 subjects. Methods has been weirdly enjoyable, and english is the only one that's boring me the most. I can't wait for next year where we get to study more interesting texts.

I need to start looking at some practice ucat questions, but procrastination seems to be on to me today. I also played quite a bit of video games this weekend which needs to stop. I shouldn't be wasting precious study time playing video games. I restricted myself to only play on the holidays and long weekends, but guess who broke that restriction. Aside from my horrible procrastinating habits, I've baked a lot these weeks and it's been super fun. This is totally unrelated, but I can't wait for next year because I get 20 studies a fortnight (including in-class studies). That's basically 20 free hours of study per fortnight that I'm not doing at home (realistically around 17 hours, I know I'll probably waste some :-[). Imagine having that many studies. I could leave school early or go to school late depending on when in the day they are. I should probably stop rambling and get back to some study.
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2019, 12:08:15 pm »
+6
31/07
I don't have school today. I'm hoping to finalise my subject selections and submit them today (year 11's do them online).
What I need to get done today:
- Finish writing all my notes for chapter 8,9 and 10 (psych)
- Prepare for the chem test
- Look at some ucat questions
- Research for food studies sac
- Make quizlets for ch8, 9 and 10 (psych)
- Clean my room
- Read minefields and miniskirts
- Catch up in methods

I hope I can finish everything because I won't have much time tomorrow to do any work, so I gotta be ready for the chem test on friday :o. I'm aiming for 100% on my psych sac and my food studies sac, and I really hope I can achieve that. I'm so glad we have a day off today so I can catch up on all my work and get on track. Our bio test is in 3 weeks, so I have ages to prep for that. I hope I can take a look at some ucat questions to familiarise myself with the structure and stuff. Also hoping to read the atarnotes guide to the ucat, which I bought during the term 2 holidays. If I finish all my set work today, I'm going to reward myself by playing a video game for half an hour :D. Hopefully, all goes well!
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2019, 02:40:30 pm »
+5
4/08
I just came back from the monash open day! I guess I went there to see the info sesh on medicine (which I did), but my friend and I got sidetracked and just went looking around for all the free food after. We also had a bit of trouble finding our way around the university, but were helped by my prior knowledge of the uni's layout and the helpers there. All in all, it was a great time, especially because we had ice cream at the end. I met a lot of my friends there too, which was really great, and made new friends. But now, I really have to sit myself down and get to work, because I have my psych sac tomorrow on consciousness, sleep and sleep disturbances. I think this is the topic I'm the worst at out of all the topics we have done so far, which sucks for me. I'm super nervous for the sac and I really hope I can do well. This sac will be the death of me :'(

P.S. we won a bio quiz at monash and got chocolate and an 'i love biology' pin which is now on my school blazer, along with my 'i love science' pin haha.
psych [50] bio [50]

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2019, 05:08:29 pm »
+1
4/08
I just came back from the monash open day! I guess I went there to see the info sesh on medicine (which I did), but my friend and I got sidetracked and just went looking around for all the free food after. We also had a bit of trouble finding our way around the university, but were helped by my prior knowledge of the uni's layout and the helpers there. All in all, it was a great time, especially because we had ice cream at the end. I met a lot of my friends there too, which was really great, and made new friends. But now, I really have to sit myself down and get to work, because I have my psych sac tomorrow on consciousness, sleep and sleep disturbances. I think this is the topic I'm the worst at out of all the topics we have done so far, which sucks for me. I'm super nervous for the sac and I really hope I can do well. This sac will be the death of me :'(

P.S. we won a bio quiz at monash and got chocolate and an 'i love biology' pin which is now on my school blazer, along with my 'i love science' pin haha.

Sounds like you had fun! I too, went to an Open Day today. I was looking for one thing but ended up following the free food!

I won a LaTrobe beanie and some headphones for doing some quizzes. Free things, amirite!

What did they talk about at the med session? Did you find it useful?

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2019, 10:22:02 pm »
+3
Sounds like you had fun! I too, went to an Open Day today. I was looking for one thing but ended up following the free food!

I won a LaTrobe beanie and some headphones for doing some quizzes. Free things, amirite!

What did they talk about at the med session? Did you find it useful?

Free things are the best always! The med sesh was alright, most of the stuff they said was stuff I already knew, like prerequisites and what scores you need to get in. They had med students talk to us about their experiences as well, but there wasn't any new info I got from it. It was a good refresher on how hard I need to work though!
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2019, 05:22:42 pm »
+4
7/08
Hmm... today was an interesting day. I had a mental breakdown at school because we got our psych sacs back from last term and I didn't do well on it, like AT ALL and other people got full marks on it and it was just very sad lol because I tried really hard for that sac. Oh well, goodbye 45+ study score. I couldn't even focus during my english assessment today because I was just thinking about how bad I did for that sac and yeah I basically wasted away like 20 minutes of the period in english. I also have the continuation of the assessment tomorrow, and we have to finish it by tomorrow, so I guess I'm just going to bs it and hope it turns out decent. I also have a sac for food studies on friday, which is an essay. I just don't think there's any point anymore, I haven't been able to concentrate at all at home. I'm just going to try to get psych and food studies done, and maybe I'll do methods and chem and bio another day. Everything has been going downhill so I hope I can get 100% on the food studies sac and get at least 90% on the methods test.
psych [50] bio [50]

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2019, 05:53:04 pm »
+5
7/08
Hmm... today was an interesting day. I had a mental breakdown at school because we got our psych sacs back from last term and I didn't do well on it, like AT ALL and other people got full marks on it
Getting a bad mark sucks. Especially when you've put your heart and your soul into studying for it. You probably still feel bitter about your mark but you shouldn't compare yourself to others. You should focus on doing YOUR best, not being the best. Although I'm not the most expereinced person to give advice, I think it's definitely possible for you to still get a 45+. One mark on one Sac isn't going to make or break your study score. You can pick yourself up and fuel this dissapointment into working harder for the next Sac. Maybe ask your teacher to go through your Sac with you to see where you lost marks so you don't make the same mistakes for next time.

As to not being able to concentrate in your assessment becuase you were so disappointed about your Psych score, don't worry. That happened to me after I had a LOTE speech and I was not prepared at all. Like 30 mins after, I had another Exam and let's just say I spent a fair bit of time during that exam thinking about the LOTE speech.
Life happens.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:55:29 pm by Snow Leopard »

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2019, 05:04:40 pm »
+1
Getting a bad mark sucks. Especially when you've put your heart and your soul into studying for it. You probably still feel bitter about your mark but you shouldn't compare yourself to others. You should focus on doing YOUR best, not being the best. Although I'm not the most expereinced person to give advice, I think it's definitely possible for you to still get a 45+. One mark on one Sac isn't going to make or break your study score. You can pick yourself up and fuel this dissapointment into working harder for the next Sac. Maybe ask your teacher to go through your Sac with you to see where you lost marks so you don't make the same mistakes for next time.

As to not being able to concentrate in your assessment becuase you were so disappointed about your Psych score, don't worry. That happened to me after I had a LOTE speech and I was not prepared at all. Like 30 mins after, I had another Exam and let's just say I spent a fair bit of time during that exam thinking about the LOTE speech.
Life happens.

Thanks for this. I feel so much better about it and I've regained my confidence. Life does happen.
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2019, 05:17:32 pm »
+6
Hellooo friends :D
Today was pretty empty because more than half of my friends were away at the psych 1/2 excursion, so yeah the school felt pretty empty overall. I had my food studies sac last period, which was scary. We had it in the sac room, which is supervised by a chosen teacher. The teacher was someone almost everyone is scared of, so all throughout writing the essay for my sac, I really wanted to know how much time I had left because I was scared I wouldn't finish in time. I never ended up asking him but I finished a few minutes before he said '5 minutes left' so I had time to quickly read over my essay. My hand felt like it would break after though haha, I'm always the person that writes so fast it feels like my hand is flying on paper. It's great to write that fast, but my handwriting gets pretty messy (at least it's legible).
What I've really been wanting to say is, ONLY 2 SACS LEFT FOR THE YEAR!!!!! woo! I'm so so so glad I only have 2 more, one for psych and one for food studies. I guess that means exams are getting closer but I'm going to keep exams at the very back of my mind until I actually have to start preparing full-on. Our next sac for psych is the one on mental health and phobias, so that's pretty interesting. I've already got a pretty good understanding because I went to the atarnotes psych lecture, so I'm ahead 8). Feels like a weight has been taken off my back after the sac today.

Other things
I've always wanted a dog ever since I was young. My dream came true when we fostered a little black labrador puppy, Punter. He was the sweetest and good-est boy ever. I miss him though :'(. He's now in the Northern Territory doing some great sniffer dog stuff so I'm very very proud to call him my dog! I know this is pretty irrelevant but I've really been missing my boy lately. Hopefully after VCE I can get another dog, this time one I can keep forever! I would love a miniature poodle! I mean LOOK at this cutie.

I also want to set myself a goal of writing a story a day in my native language. This isn't very VCE related so I've included it in the spoiler. I think culture is very important and it is something I never want to lose, especially my mother tongue. I need to keep in touch with the language before I forget it completely. I think the last time I read a book in my language was like a year ago. So my goal for the year is to write a story a week, or even just something shorter. I remember there used to be a time where I was more proficient in my native tongue than English. I mean I can speak it very well, but I think my reading and writing definitely needs to improve.

I've also been writing my psych notes, and I'm almost done for wherever we are up to right now :P. I have the entire weekend to finish them though. It feels great to have the entire weekend NOT dedicated to studying mostly for a sac or test. Oh wait, the methods test and bio test is coming up. That's alright, I still have time and I'm definitely going to procrastinate for as long as I can! I've also been spending an unhealthy amount of time on the atar calculator, but I guess that was bound to happen some day. I've been plugging in study scores and seeing what I need to get my dream atar. One of my overall goals is to get a 50 in at least one subject, and I know that's a very bold goal that's hard to achieve but I really want to try - I would be so happy if I ended up ever getting a 50 in anything because it just seems so impossible lately. Maybe if I can get 100% on my next food studies sac and IF I get 100% on the food sac I just did, I might have a chance at a 50 if I also ace the exam. Buttttttttt that's very unlikely, so I guess I'll just have to see what my study scores turn out to be at the end of the year. I'm super nervous even thinking about it, but instead of studying even harder I still procrastinate by watching video game gameplays on youtube. Riperoni.
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2019, 05:24:57 pm »
+7
Posting again because we LOVE procrastination, don't we?
I basically had all studies today because half the teachers were away. lol. I am also currently dying inside from the stress of exams coming up, which I try my best to ignore whenever I get the chance.
This is me @ exams right now:

The point is, EXAMS ARE COMING and I'm having my little freak moment. Other than that, I'm very worried about my study habits, which are slowly declining due to slowly burning out (already?!) so I need to keep everything together (and I'm not even in year 12 yet :o). I have St John today so that's always something to look forward to. I have a ton of English homework, so that's great, but I'm also ahead in psych which I'm happy about. I feel like going ahead isn't always the best bet for me though, because when I'm ahead I have nothing to do in class so I just sit there and waste time because I've already done all the work. So I need to get on top of English, then focus on methods because we have our circular functions test next week(!). I'm honestly going to cry with joy when this year ends so I finally have summer holidays to get myself together and ready for the year ahead. So other than thinking about exams, I have also purchased my first ucat resource. Can we get a hip hip hooray for my productivity! I'm hopefully going to start looking at it today. I have exactly one hour before I have to be in the car and on my way to St John, so today's question is: "Can whys finish her English homework, complete some ucat practice questions, AND finish exercise 14K for methods within an hour?" I guess we'll find out on the next episode of 'The Adventures of VCE'!
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 08:46:21 pm »
+6
It has been a week and a bit since I posted, so I figured now might not be a bad time to update this. How's life? A mess. How's school? Eh.
I've decided to do a couple of subject updates here and there, which might help better document my VCE journey.

English
This one is always a big ehhh. We have a comparative poetry analysis coming up soon, which I sort of don't want to do. We seem to have another assessment right after completing one. Luckily we only have 5 sacs in year 12, not nearly as much as the amount we have now... but anyways I enjoy analysing poetry so the things we have been doing in class is interesting. Only down is I don't actually have the book that we are comparing the poetry to. I accidentally bought the wrong book (three hundred and something pages) when I was only supposed to buy a 36-page version that's a play. Whoops, that was a big mistake on my part. I'm debating whether I should actually buy the book or not... maybe I'll just memorise some quotes from a friend's book and hope for the best come exam time lol. Seems pretty lazy but I guess it's almost the end of the year anyways.

Methods
This one is a bit up and down. We got our marks back for the circular functions test. It's sad to realise all the marks I lost were to stupid rounding errors and accidentally giving answers in decimal form rather than as an exact value. At least next year, I'll always remember to give answers as exact values due to this costly mistake I made now! Our topic now is logarithms + exponentials, which is one of the topics I don't really enjoy that much. Good thing is our topic after that is calculus, which I'm excited for! I should do some pre-reading so I actually know what it is before doing it in class. We seem to have a test every 2 weeks for methods, considering we go through the content pretty fast.

Biology
We have a rat dissection coming up. I love dissections! Can't wait for this one. Unfortunately, on the day of our rat dissection, we have our bio research draft due, which I'm pretty stuffed for considering I haven't even started research, and the draft is due this friday. Mine is on pre-natal diagnosis of blood disorders (mainly thalassemia). Ughh. I'm planning to do all the research today then put it together tomorrow. So much research, and so little time :(. It's not exactly a test so I'm not too worried about getting/not getting 100% on this one. Overall, this subject has been a little tedious but it's enjoyable.

Chemistry
Oh boy. Our teacher was away for a week so I don't even know what we're meant to know. The topic is pretty dry as well. I really miss organic chemistry. I delight in the knowledge that next year, all of Unit 4 is basically organic chemistry. Yay! But for now, getting through all this boring content on water and concentration bores me and in all honesty, can't wait for 3/4 chemistry. There isn't much to say about this other than the fact that I'm dreading the upcoming test because it's so difficult to sit down and study for a topic you don't even find interesting. We get into redox reactions soon I think, so that'll be good fun. :)

Psychology
This has always been an enjoyable subject for me, and that hasn't changed. However, I can say with certainty that I personally liked unit 3 content better than unit 4 content. Overall, this is a subject I wouldn't hesitate to pick again. We're learning about specific phobia now. Thinking back to all the content we've covered, I can just imagine how long it will take to revise for the exam. Hopefully everything works out in the end though. Our last sac is early next month, which is relieving. Still a little while to go.

Food studies
Not much to say here, it's just been going how it's always been going. Last lesson we cooked middle eastern chicken and almond, chocolate and pear cake. Wasn't a fan of the cake because I don't like almonds or dark chocolate, but the middle eastern chicken is something I would definitely make again. We seem to be cooking a little too often though - I'd rather have lessons where we go over the content and go through exam questions. Last lesson, we did go through exam questions and I felt good that day because my teacher applauded my answer for one of the questions, and if I maintained that level in my answers, I'm well on my way to a premier's. Not getting any hopes up, for this subject I'm only expecting around a 40 study score because of a lack of effort near the start of the year - a mistake on my part. Plus my answer for that exam question was definitely a fluke.
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2019, 09:49:12 pm »
+4
Hello. I had my bio test on Friday. So happy that is finally over, so I can focus more on my 3/4's for my upcoming sacs. Methods is always a nuisance; we have tests like every day ::). We had our rat dissection last Tuesday I think (I don't remember, oops). Our group got to dissect the pregnant rat, and after we moved onto a normal rat. It was super fun - I LOVE dissections so much. I wish we had more though, this is like the second actual dissection I've done since year 9 (in year 9 I think we dissected a flower but that doesn't count. In year 10, we dissected an eye). I'm trying to remember what I've done since my last update... We ended up talking about school and uni for like 30 minutes at St John on Monday, which was great fun. Also I woke up at 8:30 today, so that was probably the highlight of the day. Forgot to mention, today was a day where we get to have our classes at home, so we can study in our PJ's! We have like a video conference type meeting with our teachers and classmates for each class. We have one of those days once a term.

Not academic-related AT ALL
We had HPAF yesterday (House Performing Arts Festival). It's honestly my favourite day of the year, same with others too. It's held at Robert Blackwood hall annually and is a big part of our school's culture. I completely lost my voice last night from all the screaming honestly. It's definitely a day I'll never forget once I leave school. It's basically like a super-sized production, where each house coordinates a performance. What's special about this is that every single student is involved in some way, including, but not exclusively restricted to, prop-making, backstage crew, instrumental group, dance, acting, singing and whole house singing (this is the category most people fall into - you could be in multiple though, if the plot allowed it). It's crazy. You'd never think a bunch of teenagers could pull off such spectacular performances that teachers have nothing to do with at all. And, above all, MY HOUSE WON! (That's why I lost my voice haha, we screamed so much when we found out we won). But it honestly brings the whole school together and I know the teachers love the day as well. Gives them a break from answering the questions we send them at like 10pm the day before our sacs and tests or just normally too (and they still reply! so grateful for teachers honestly). So many people cried (in our house, and others). It's not easy to be music captain, or dance captain, or small group captain and pull off something as amazing as this that requires hard work for a term or so. Being in year 11 or 12, I can say it's super difficult to manage HPAF and school and do well in both. Especially when you have to get so many students to listen to you. I'm so proud of every house, everyone came up with such amazing performances. The theme for this year was twisted fairytales, and all the songs and orchestra had to be 80s music. Our house was given Jack and the Beanstalk. Honestly, our plot and script were a little cheesy but it was amazing on stage. The other fairytales given to the other houses were The Ugly Duckling, Little Red Riding Hood and Hansel and Gretel. You'd think it would be easy to twist a fairytale - but it's not! Next year, I really want to be a part of dance or act as one of the main characters. I know acting is always competitive to get into, as there are only like 3-5 characters for the whole performance anyway, and so is dance (we have too many good dancers!). I really hope our house can win next year too!

I've never heard of any school that hosts an event where EVERYONE must take part as a compulsory school event, but I'm so glad our school does. If HPAF wasn't compulsory, we'd probably only have like 15 people do it. Obviously, our school has production as well, but only like 20 people do that. HPAF is amazing, and we have all the alumni from the school come in and support their past house, as well as the judges that decide which house comes first, second, third and fourth. Not to mention the plethora of parents who attend too. I was so shocked when I found out my house came first. And so happy! I know I've said this a billion times but HPAF really brings everyone together (and apart! The other houses are all so salty our house won, smh. I was just having a heated argument with my friend about how my house rightfully deserved to win >:(. It's all fun and games though, just a bit of amusing banter). On this amazing night, you actually realise how talented the whole school is (I'm pretty sure like half my school plays a musical instrument like really well) and we have such amazing singers! I remember hearing a guy sing in one of the other house's act and he was amazing, I honestly thought he could win if he went on The Voice or something. But yeah anyways, when they announced the house that came fourth (last) we started cheering so much because we knew we wouldn't come last. Then, when the judges announced third place, we literally started roaring because we would be second or first. Then, when second place was announced, WE STARTED SCREAMING AND YELLING AND IT WAS SO LOUD and literally, everyone from my house lost their voices that night. FIRST PLACE! A dream come true for everyone, I'm sure. Not to mention, our house leaders were probably crying, and rightly so!

800+ kids performing in 4 unique well-coordinated acts that display amazing talent, from the details of the props and costumes to the dance choreography, to the melodies and harmonies in each voice, to the wonderful orchestra and to the narrating and acting: that's something you don't see every day! And since HPAF goes till 9:30, and most of us get home at around 10:30, we get a late start the next morning, so we miss first period. I know I've gone on for ages about how GREAT hpaf is, but I'm not exaggerating. I wanted to include this so later on, I can look back and remember these surreal moments I definitely never want to forget. This is always the best night of the year, hands down. I miss it already :'(. Waiting for next year's HPAF, and I'm already in anticipation for what the theme will be!

(probably so many typos in this but I can't be bothered rereading and fixing)

Also, me @ exams:
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2019, 06:15:27 pm »
+3
Hi.
As of today, we finished all the psych content at school. We have learnt everything we need for the exam. There are 8 more days until my psych sac, and 56 more days until the psych exam. I haven't started revision.

Can I yeet out of this world for a moment, please
psych [50] bio [50]