Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 26, 2024, 04:08:46 am

Author Topic: Error log for UMAT exams  (Read 1093 times)  Share 

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
Error log for UMAT exams
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:40:23 pm »
Hi guys,
Just wondering if it would be a good idea to try create an error log for all the exams that I do. I tried to start one for the medentry workshop exam, but I found that it might be too time consuming to go through each incorrect answer and write out full solutions.

Is there a better way to do this?

2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

lazaward

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +33
Re: Error log for UMAT exams
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 01:27:44 am »
+2
Hi Peter,
I’m doing UMAT this year. I believe taking the time to review your mistakes is really important and from the guides I’ve read review is just important as doing the practice exams and it should take you about the same time.

Writing out full solutions for all your incorrect answers is a good idea but as you said really time consuming! Maybe try making a document with the incorrect answers you think you may muck up again. If you review your incorrect answers you can usually tell which ones are silly mistakes and go through it again in your head and that’ll be enough. For difficult questions where the answer is not so obvious maybe snip tool the question and answer and put it into a word document. You can write down generally where you went wrong, on what section it was, what type of question it was and how you will typically approach a similar question the next time. Instead of typing out full solutions just go through how you would come to the right answer in your head and then make some general notes on how to attack similar questions in the future. Also, maybe consider making a list of your weaknesses and strengths and knock out some drills to target weak areas. Hope this helps!

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
Re: Error log for UMAT exams
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:49:44 am »
+1
Ideally you should be spending more time reviewing your practice UMAT exams than actually do them, but writing out your mistakes does seem a bit tedious, since even if you are a genius at the UMAT, you will be making tonnes of errors. This time spent on reviewing errors compounds if you are planning on reading over your error log periodically, leaving less time to study for year 12.

I think this time consuming strategy might be worth trying for the first couple of exams, however if you don’t see any noticeable improvement, your time is probably better spent on your year 12 subjects, where the quantity of study you do is strongly correlated with your relative success.
UAdel MBBS