Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:35:36 pm

Author Topic: HSC - Atar Question  (Read 3862 times)  Share 

Anonymouse1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
HSC - Atar Question
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:07:14 pm »
How likely am i to get an atar in the mid 90s? I really wanna be acknowledged by the unsw/uts co ops, and they require mid 90s. Im not sure how accurate the atar calculators are so, these are my overall internal results and ranks:
Software Design and Dev: 94% ranked 2/7
English Advanced: 91% ranked 30/178
Business Studies: 86% ranked 13/123
Mathematics Advanced: 83% ranked 9/86
Physics: 81% ranked 6/58
Mathematics Extension: 76% ranked 7/27

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: HSC - Atar Question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 08:14:57 pm »
+2
How likely am i to get an atar in the mid 90s? I really wanna be acknowledged by the unsw/uts co ops, and they require mid 90s. Im not sure how accurate the atar calculators are so, these are my overall internal results and ranks:
Software Design and Dev: 94% ranked 2/7
English Advanced: 91% ranked 30/178
Business Studies: 86% ranked 13/123
Mathematics Advanced: 83% ranked 9/86
Physics: 81% ranked 6/58
Mathematics Extension: 76% ranked 7/27
100% likely if you try hard enough. Forget about what's already done and focus on what's already left.

Anonymouse1

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:31:36 pm »
Sweet, so do i have to basically get higher than what i got in my internals for it to get scaled up?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 08:39:46 pm »
+1
Sweet, so do i have to basically get higher than what i got in my internals for it to get scaled up?
Well that depends. The better you do in your externals the more likely your internals will go up because of moderation.

Can't be said for vice versa though. Your internal marks have no impact on your externals.

Stuff like alignment and scaling aren't between your internal and external marks - they're decided by completely different factors.

Anonymouse1

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 08:47:04 pm »
So when i put this stuff into the calc, its showing a 92.7. Does this mean i need to do similar to my internals to secure externals of about 92.7?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 08:49:54 pm »
+1
Note that your external marks go through alignment.

Raw marks put into the ATAR calculator, whilst ok for a worst possible scenario, do NOT reflect your true ATAR as ZERO alignment has been accounted for. The alignment algorithm is intended to cater for relatively more challenging years, and hence the algorithm differs every year.

What's reported on your HSC certificate is an aligned mark. Not raw.

(Additionally, since your internal marks go through moderation, they become further inaccurate. The best way to minimise unreliability is to use your trial marks (as they are the most indicative of the difficulty of the HSC) with the raw marks database.)

Anonymouse1

• Adventurer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 09:04:31 pm »
Yep, i would, but some of the exam papers we got in trials were so ridiculous it dragged my % down like anything. CSSA was so hard this year and no one in my entire cohort finished the extension paper, hence my low extension result.. and personally i dont feel like the hsc exams are going to be as stupid as trials were for my school... This is why i dont want to use trial results, cause it shows something much lower than expected (ie, in 85s). I believe i was fairly consistent with all the exams throughout the year until CSSA kicked in. The past few hsc exams ive done have been like the exams i sat earlier in the year. Also how much does school ranking affect the moderation process? (around 160th)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 09:09:23 pm »
+1
School ranking actually doesn't have ANY impact because your school could be the year that it lifts further up. It's only used as a basis for some people to give ATAR estimates, which are always not 100% reliable.

Note: 85% raw in the HSC has aligned up to something like 93 before for 3U.

If you're adamant on not using trial marks (NEVER USE RAW, use the raw marks database to align it), then just don't think about ATAR calculators and etc. and focus on killing your final exams instead. Remember - they influence your final results more than anything thus far.

Anonymouse1

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 09:17:52 pm »
Cool, thankyou, and one last thing, http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2015_12_15240.html , does this mean that 81% raw was the band 6 cut off for 2015?

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 09:19:39 pm »
+1
Cool, thankyou, and one last thing, http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2015_12_15240.html , does this mean that 81% raw was the band 6 cut off for 2015?
That's just the % of the total candidature that got band 6. Alignment produces these statistics, not other way around.

jingyi.ren1999

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 10:34:53 am »
hi! was wondering if theres anyone doing Commerce in USYD? the atar cut off is 95 and they don't offer bonus points..
how hard is it to get that 95 atar?

Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 11:46:04 am »
+1
hi! was wondering if theres anyone doing Commerce in USYD? the atar cut off is 95 and they don't offer bonus points..

Thanks

Getting a 95 ATAR isn't easy by any means, but it is definitely achievable if you work hard and apply yourself! What are your results like so far? :)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 11:56:42 am »
+2

Thanks

It's relative.

How are you doing at school right now?

I've got friends who see 98 as a disgrace whilst others have a goal of 70. It's all relative at the end of the day!

95 is achievable if you want it enough.
Heavy Things :(

tloos1999

• Trailblazer
  • Kid from the West with an Academic Dream
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 08:48:18 pm »
all down to the individual, work hard, results will be relative, don't work hard then the same principle applies.
Thomas Loos