Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:29:37 am

Author Topic: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread  (Read 85383 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: General Makeup/Skincare Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2018, 11:32:58 pm »
+6
hey just casually bringing this thread back hold up

If anyone's looking for an affordable and good lash serum- would recommend the Rimmel Lash Accelerator serum! I feel that my lashes are longer compared to when I started using it 3 weeks ago and they feel conditioned.

A nice light foundation recommendation- Benefit Cosmetics Hello Happy Soft blur Foundation

Got me some (very unnecessary) makeup purchases this week (some reviews down below in the spoiler!!):
Spoiler
* Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Bronzer (very nice natural bronzer)
* Benefit Cosmetics High Beam liquid highlighter (haven't used it yet but looks very pretty)
* Benefit Cosmetics the Porefessional primer (goes super well with the foundation I suggested earlier!)
* Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash mascara (haven't tried it but I've seen Sister James Charles rave about this mascara on his youtube channel)
* Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb (lip gloss) in the shade Fenty Glow (alright lowkey disappointed in this product because Fenty Beauty has been hyped up so much and as well as this product and I had such high expectations so I'm like let's give it a go. The 'Fenty Glow' shade is meant to be universal and fits any skin tone. But the moment I put it on, it literally looks like I'm wearing nothing. I didn't realise how similar the lip gloss would be to my natural lip colour. I obviously can't return the lip gloss so now I must use this overly priced product on me)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2019, 04:09:34 pm »
+1
Has anyone encountered Flower Beauty at Chemist Warehouse?

Just found out it launched in Australia relatively recently but I'm not sure if it's only available online or if it's stores as well.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2019, 10:28:53 am »
Has anyone encountered Flower Beauty at Chemist Warehouse?

Just found out it launched in Australia relatively recently but I'm not sure if it's only available online or if it's stores as well.

It says on the official website that Drew Barrymore found the brand. Usually I'm a bit sus when it comes to brands found by celebrities (Fenty Beauty let me down big time lol) But the prices are heaps affordable so might give that a whirl.

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 10:37:52 am »
It says on the official website that Drew Barrymore found the brand. Usually I'm a bit sus when it comes to brands found by celebrities (Fenty Beauty let me down big time lol) But the prices are heaps affordable so might give that a whirl.
Really? I thought everyone loved Fenty Beauty...

I did watch a number of reviews on Flower Beauty and a lot of people do like the lipsticks. Now the big problem is trying to track down a Chemist Warehouse that sells Flower Beauty because shipping is freaking expensive ;-;
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2019, 10:52:38 am »
Really? I thought everyone loved Fenty Beauty...

I did watch a number of reviews on Flower Beauty and a lot of people do like the lipsticks. Now the big problem is trying to track down a Chemist Warehouse that sells Flower Beauty because shipping is freaking expensive ;-;

LoI feel like I'm a bit biased about Fenty Beauty because I only tried one product of theirs ahahaha. Should've clarified that their lipgloss let me down (good formula but wasn't as universal as they advertised it lol). I'll like to try one of their highlighters one day.

Oh dayum see how you go (once you have found Flower Beauty in stores) and pop a review in this thread aha. Been trying to find cheap lipstick that stays on forever (especially with bullet lipsticks because they are much more comfortable than liquid lipsticks but don't stay as long)

Speaking of lipsticks, I've recently tried the Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipsticks and I am telling you guys now that it is so L I G H T on the lips !! Genuinely feels like I'm not wearing any lipstick which is weird because they're liquid lipsticks !! They stayed on for a decent amount of time but like every other liquid lipstick- it comes off when you eat oily food. Wished they had a bigger range on the Princess Polly website because a) shipping from the official Jeffree Star cosmetics takes a while b) there's a shipping fee obvs

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2019, 11:14:12 am »
LoI feel like I'm a bit biased about Fenty Beauty because I only tried one product of theirs ahahaha. Should've clarified that their lipgloss let me down (good formula but wasn't as universal as they advertised it lol). I'll like to try one of their highlighters one day.
Their Killawatt highlighters do look pretty, I'm just a bit confused on the Killawatt Foil shades (especially the shades Sangria Sunset and Poolside)- they look more like eyeshadows to me.

I personally would like to try the Bretman Rock highlighter palette- maybe I'm biased because the palette does look like it does cater to a lot of different skin tones.

Speaking of lipsticks, I've recently tried the Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipsticks and I am telling you guys now that it is so L I G H T on the lips !! Genuinely feels like I'm not wearing any lipstick which is weird because they're liquid lipsticks !! They stayed on for a decent amount of time but like every other liquid lipstick- it comes off when you eat oily food. Wished they had a bigger range on the Princess Polly website because a) shipping from the official Jeffree Star cosmetics takes a while b) there's a shipping fee obvs
Omg which shade did you get? I've always wanted to try Jeffree Star cosmetics because everyone says they're really good. They're a bit pricey for me but I feel like the quality should make it worth the money.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2019, 10:34:53 pm »
Their Killawatt highlighters do look pretty, I'm just a bit confused on the Killawatt Foil shades (especially the shades Sangria Sunset and Poolside)- they look more like eyeshadows to me.

I've swatched the Trophy Wife highlighter in Sephora once and it was awfully glittery and I was so shook. I really want to love the Fenty Beauty brand because it is inclusive and owned by a woman of colour but idk the lip gloss ain't working with me :/ Idk which other product to get because I'm not a fan of super high coverage foundation/concealer plus the FB eyeshadows aren't really appealing to me. I got a lot of lipsticks so I don't need to add more in my collection aha.

Omg which shade did you get? I've always wanted to try Jeffree Star cosmetics because everyone says they're really good. They're a bit pricey for me but I feel like the quality should make it worth the money.
I got the shades 'Androgyny' (plum coloured) and 'Celebrity Skin' (very nude). You should try it! I am genuinely surprised at how light the formula is on the lips (unlike NARS oml). I really want to buy more but I should probably use my other lipsticks first before I buy new ones aha ;D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2019, 04:16:03 pm »
+6
Hey guys,

I just came back from Chemist Warehouse with some Flower Beauty products (and by some, I mean two lip products lmao). I would recommend calling Chemist Warehouse in advance just to ask if they sell Flower Beauty. I called 3 different stores and my local one didn't have any so I had to go to a different Chemist Warehouse that's a bit further away from my home. But the stand looks brand new and they actually have proper testers (usually they don't) and these testers look like they haven't been touched.

I bought the Mix n Matte Lip Duo in the shade Honey Nude. The cool thing about this product is that it's only $10 but it comes with a matte lipstick and a lip gloss, and it's the same price as their Petal Pout Lipstick. I was gonna get the Petal Pout Lipstick but if I'm paying the same price whilst getting two products, then why not? The lipstick is very comfortable to wear. It isn't transfer proof but I don't think I've seen a lipstick that isn't transfer proof. I'm wearing the gloss on top of the lipstick, and it's actually not sticky. It gives the colour a metallic look, which does look pretty.

I also bought the Miracle Matte liquid lipstick in the shade Bare Honey. I personally think the online store doesn't give you a good indication on what the shade looks like. I haven't done a proper wear test with this lipstick but the one time I did apply on my lips, it's actually very light. It doesn't feel dry, but it does take a while for it to dry down. I swatched it on the back of my hand so I can see what it's like when it dries down properly. I don't think it's completely transfer proof- whenever I wipe my finger on it, I do get a bit of the product on my finger. But I did wash my hands and it's still staying on my hand.

So yeah, there's my mini review on Flower Beauty. I do want to get more of their products (I actually considered getting their face palette but I don't have any makeup brushes ;-;). And they are quite affordable, I think it's a lot cheaper here than in the US (the face palette is $16 US = $22 AUS but it's priced at $14 here).

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2019, 05:02:39 pm »
Hey, any tips for applying eyeliner?

Every time I have attempted to put it on, it is too thick and not close enough to my waterline. I have watched plenty of tutorials but still don't seem to get it.

Is pencil or liquid better for a rookie? Willing to invest in some new eyeliner as I have a few Priceline gift vouchers.  ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2019, 05:39:59 pm »
+8
Hey, any tips for applying eyeliner?

Every time I have attempted to put it on, it is too thick and not close enough to my waterline. I have watched plenty of tutorials but still don't seem to get it.

Is pencil or liquid better for a rookie? Willing to invest in some new eyeliner as I have a few Priceline gift vouchers.  ;D

Very generic answer but PRACTICE! Took me about 8 ish months to find a method perfect for me (I got hooded Asian eyes)

Honestly it really depends on your eye shape and how much eye lid space you got. Personally Michelle Phan's tutorial on how to apply eyeliner helped a lot! I like the dotted line method she mentions in the video (around the 0:54 mark). Better to take it slow than doing your eyeliner in one go. Short and steady wins the race!

Another tip would be taking your eyeliner pen, then lining up the end of your eye to the end of your eyebrow to determine the angle of your wing. That probably doesn't make sense lol but if you check out the first step in this pic it will make sense lol. Then pre much make the wing then work your way inwards. That's just my method- something different might work out for you. Depends on your eye shape and the type of eyeliner you got.

Speaking on type of eyeliner- a felt tip eyeliner would be a good one for beginners. Pencils are hard to work with while liquid liners are too messy for a beginner to work with. Definitely get one with a thin tip such as Maybelline Master Precise or Maybelline HyperSharp Wing Liquid Liner.

Good luck <3

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2019, 01:58:17 pm »
+2
Hey guys,

Any advice on how to choose the perfect lipstick shade? Sometimes it feels like the lip colours I choose are either too light or it looks too similar to my skin tone.

I've read too many articles and watched too many videos on this and their technique of 'identifying your undertone' just makes this even more confusing -_-

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2019, 10:01:19 pm »
+7
Hey guys,

Any advice on how to choose the perfect lipstick shade? Sometimes it feels like the lip colours I choose are either too light or it looks too similar to my skin tone.

I've read too many articles and watched too many videos on this and their technique of 'identifying your undertone' just makes this even more confusing -_-

I think when it comes to finding the perfect lipstick shade- you gotta check what the shade looks like on someone who has a similar skin colour to you. I like to research online popular Asian beauty influencers- my go to is usually Tina Yong (Australian-Vietnamese Youtube beauty guru!). However to really get into the specifics of things- you do need to determine your undertones.

You gotta figure out either way if you are a cool, warm or neutral undertone. Look at your veins- blue/purple veins = cool, blue/green = neutral, green/olive = warm.

If you go one websites, they usually specify if a lipstick shade is for a cool, neutral or warm undertone. I'm a cool undertone and I feel like muted colours look better on me than bright colours. This will differ for a neutral or warm undertone person. But since I'm also Asian, I'm also yellow undertone so colours similar to yellow- I tend to avoid as they look super tacky on me (corals and oranges are a no no for me!). If you also look at the colour wheel, complimentary colours are those opposite to each other. I find purple lipstick nice on me though this depends what type of purple it is. Plum purple is nice but a lilac will perhaps not suit me.

I suppose it does take a bit of trial and error with finding your perfect lipstick shade. The natural colour of your lips can affect the colour of your lipstick as well. Just keep on swatching lipsticks and find a nice pretty shade !! At the end of the day, any lipstick shade can be the perfect one if you feel confident in it! cheesy but v true!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2019, 09:45:39 pm »
+4
Recently got myself 'The Ordinary's Niacinamide Serum'. It's meant to reduce skin blemishes and scars. Super keen to see how this product goes since it's been hyped up so much and I want to see if it actually works. I've got it on right now and it feels very matte and sticky? Hopefully it will work. Has anyone tried 'The Ordinary' before?

babushka818

• Forum Obsessive
  • Grain Waves?
  • Respect: +139
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2019, 11:05:21 pm »
+5
Recently got myself 'The Ordinary's Niacinamide Serum'. It's meant to reduce skin blemishes and scars. Super keen to see how this product goes since it's been hyped up so much and I want to see if it actually works. I've got it on right now and it feels very matte and sticky? Hopefully it will work. Has anyone tried 'The Ordinary' before?

Sorry I just came across this accidentally but really interested to hear about this! For several years now I’ve had a redness on my face with small pimple ish things haha. My ophthalmologist suggested mimomycin for acne rosacea, I tried like 15 creams and such.. a different doctor recently recommended to me a medication called niacinamide that she said was only made by a specific amcal in south melbourne. It’s basically a serum applied twice a day. I didn’t know the ordinary made this, ive only tried their retinol treatment which did nothing. Supposedly my issue is with oily skin. I found the serum when applied is quite sticky, but it’s supposed to absorb rather than be rinsed, so when it dries it does leave quite a matte feeling. However, whilst not instantly effective, I find when I wake up in the morning, much of skin redness isn’t present. My doctor said to try it in the long term, so I’m excited if this will finally be the thing that gives me results. Please let us know how you find it!
VCE
2015: Maths Methods [33]
2016: English Language [36] | Biology [38] | Chemistry [37] | Specialist Maths [27] | Further Maths [42] |

2017: Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging (Honours) @ Monash University
2020: Medical Imaging Intern @ Monash Health

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2019, 11:08:34 am »
+3

I love the ordinary! Personally, I've tried their niacinamide, lactic acid and hyaloronic acid serums, and it has made such a difference on reducing my pimples/acne scars. It does take a while for results to show, so consistency is key.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics