Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:09:14 am

Author Topic: The Odyssey of VCE :)  (Read 17848 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: The Odyssey of VCE :)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 07:18:36 am »
Alright. To be honest, I'm really irked at the moment. I just did a practice exam 1 from Insight and got a 22/40. I'm just so frustrated because I've been stuck at this score even though God knows how hard I've been working and how dedicated I've been to understanding my mistakes and how to solve the question. I do lose quite a few marks for silly mistakes but there are just questions that I just genuinely don't understand and don't even know where to begin with them.
Have you tried posting the questions you don't understand in the methods thread to get some help? ;D Being stuck around halfway would be super frustrating. <3

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 08:52:27 am »
Have you tried posting the questions you don't understand in the methods thread to get some help? ;D Being stuck around halfway would be super frustrating. <3
No I haven't, I might give it a try. It's just that I sometimes find it hard to understand online solutions. Thank you though :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 09:24:27 am »
+1
Alright. To be honest, I'm really irked at the moment. I just did a practice exam 1 from Insight and got a 22/40. I'm just so frustrated because I've been stuck at this score even though God knows how hard I've been working and how dedicated I've been to understanding my mistakes and how to solve the question. I do lose quite a few marks for silly mistakes but there are just questions that I just genuinely don't understand and don't even know where to begin with them.
I'm also kind of neglecting the rest of my subjects so I can focus on Methods and do well in it but like the work still isn't paying off so I feel guilty for not putting enough effort for my 1/2 subjects. It's like my 1/2 subjects and Methods are in a tug of war except none of the sides are winning and the rope is so close to just being torn in the middle. I don't know if I make sense. I'm just really annoyed with myself and am so close to giving up on this subject.

It's very normal to start off practice exams and  find that you aren't getting the scores you would like. I'd definitely recommend trying to stick through the process of correcting your answers in depth and building up your practice.

It can be incredibly frustrating, but one you do start to see progress and feel more confident it's great.

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 10:28:16 pm »
+1
It's very normal to start off practice exams and  find that you aren't getting the scores you would like. I'd definitely recommend trying to stick through the process of correcting your answers in depth and building up your practice.

It can be incredibly frustrating, but one you do start to see progress and feel more confident it's great.

Thank you so much. I know you're right, I just really need that confidence boost now. Do you have any suggestions on how I could see more progress, perhaps something other than doing practice exams? Sorry to put you on the spot haha, anyone is free to reply as well:)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 11:29:17 am »
+2
I know exactly where you are coming from! I started doing practice exams for bio this year and got 47% my first go. I was so upset about this. Then I started revising more and studying and I got my average mark up to 70%. I have stayed at 70% for the past 11 practice exams I have tried, so I know exactly how you feel! It can feel a but soul crushing, but as long as you keep trying, and you feel as if you are learning from your mistakes, you will do okay.

Good luck, it gets better, you can do!
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 02:35:22 pm »
+2
Thank you so much. I know you're right, I just really need that confidence boost now. Do you have any suggestions on how I could see more progress, perhaps something other than doing practice exams? Sorry to put you on the spot haha, anyone is free to reply as well:)

No worries at all!

I used practice exam questions a lot in VCE and one way that I was able to see progress was doing the same question multiple times until I'd get it right. Have you tried redoing any of your exams? 

apollomelo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 03:05:08 pm »
+2
Sorry to bud in, i'm averaging the same marks as Geoo for the past 14 papers that i have completed, i would like to know how to boost my score by filling in the rest of the 30%.
The questions that i get wrong should i revise the content? or should i redo my papers?   
I'm in a state of complete blankness on what to do next.   

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 05:06:34 pm »
+1
I know exactly where you are coming from! I started doing practice exams for bio this year and got 47% my first go. I was so upset about this. Then I started revising more and studying and I got my average mark up to 70%. I have stayed at 70% for the past 11 practice exams I have tried, so I know exactly how you feel! It can feel a but soul crushing, but as long as you keep trying, and you feel as if you are learning from your mistakes, you will do okay.

Good luck, it gets better, you can do!

That's so good that you were able to have such a huge jump with your scores! We can both do it as long as we strick through with the process :)

No worries at all!

I used practice exam questions a lot in VCE and one way that I was able to see progress was doing the same question multiple times until I'd get it right. Have you tried redoing any of your exams? 

No I haven't redone any of my exams yet. I'll do that and see if it helps :) It sounds like a great idea, I'm just wary of time because I know quality really matters but I'm still trying to grind through as many exams as I can, so I can get that exposure too. Thank you so much for the advice :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 06:24:59 pm »
+1
Sorry to bud in, i'm averaging the same marks as Geoo for the past 14 papers that i have completed, i would like to know how to boost my score by filling in the rest of the 30%.
The questions that i get wrong should i revise the content? or should i redo my papers?   
I'm in a state of complete blankness on what to do next.   

Hey, happy to help out I just don't want to derail tigercloud's journal; if you post in the relevant subject's section I'll happily help you out there.

That's so good that you were able to have such a huge jump with your scores! We can both do it as long as we strick through with the process :)

No I haven't redone any of my exams yet. I'll do that and see if it helps :) It sounds like a great idea, I'm just wary of time because I know quality really matters but I'm still trying to grind through as many exams as I can, so I can get that exposure too. Thank you so much for the advice :)

I can see your logic, and exposure is good but you'll probably be more motivated (and thus maybe do more exams?) if you can get more out of each exam. Particularly for methods, I would recommend doing exams multiple times. If you are worried about time you might start off with a vcaa exam relevant to the current study design to be repeating.

No worries at all :)

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 06:45:00 pm »
Hey, happy to help out I just don't want to derail tigercloud's journal; if you post in the relevant subject's section I'll happily help you out there.

I can see your logic, and exposure is good but you'll probably be more motivated (and thus maybe do more exams?) if you can get more out of each exam. Particularly for methods, I would recommend doing exams multiple times. If you are worried about time you might start off with a vcaa exam relevant to the current study design to be repeating.

No worries at all :)
You're right. I'll try doing that :)

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 08:56:31 pm »
+2
Ah!!!!!!! I'm so happy right now! I got a 35/40 for the 2017 VCAA exam 1 NHT. Talk about a jump! I'm so so grateful for all the advice and words of encouragement I got from here. I never thought this was possible. Everyone was right, it is all worth it when you reach your goal. If I can do it, you can too.

I do want to clarify something though and I don't mean to be a debby downer or discredit my achievement lol but do the northern hemisphere exams tend to be easier? I just want to make sure that it is actually my work paying off not just because of the difficulty of the exam.

Still, I'm super happy :) and trying hard not to let self-doubt kick in.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 04:09:14 pm »
Ah!!!!!!! I'm so happy right now! I got a 35/40 for the 2017 VCAA exam 1 NHT. Talk about a jump!
Congratulations!! ;D

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2019, 08:50:16 pm »
Congratulations!! ;D

Thank you so much!

tigerclouds

• Trendsetter
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2019, 11:00:59 pm »
+2
Monday Oct 28:

Methods: And...... we're back again. So it turns out that result I was really happy with was an outlier. I did the 2017 VCAA exam 1 today and got a 24/40. Damn it. I was really enjoying that confidence boost. But hey, I heard that it was a nasty exam so.... At least it's still higher than a 22. It's ok though, we're gonna get back into the 80% range. I promise. I took the day off school today so I can do some more work on methods. I ended up completing 2 exams: the one I just spoke about and an exam 2 and I actually ended up getting my highest score yet on an exam 2 which was quite exciting. But yeah, I was hoping to get 3 exams done but I spend so bloody long correcting and making sure I get it. That's a good thing though right? Quality over quantity (though I really want the quantity)
Just for reference, I'm aiming for above a 30 ss and above a 35 would be amazing!

English: I have a point of view SAC tmrw in the form of a letter of the editor. I'm writing about anti-vaxxers. It's been fun having a go at them. I haven't finalised my piece yet and it's 10:55 pm. Very characteristic of me. Should probably go do that...

Till next time!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 11:06:48 pm by tigerclouds »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 05:59:50 pm »
English: I have a point of view SAC tmrw in the form of a letter of the editor. I'm writing about anti-vaxxers. It's been fun having a go at them. I haven't finalised my piece yet and it's 10:55 pm. Very characteristic of me. Should probably go do that...
That sounds like fun (the having a dig at antivaxxers, not the sac) How did it go? ;D