Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:13:30 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 474764 times)  Share 

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1620 on: April 16, 2020, 08:33:26 am »
+7
Hi. Yes, I think it's referring to afferent and efferent pathways where afferent is the sensory message going to the brain (up) while the efferent pathway refers to the motor message transmitting to the effector muscles (down). These terms are used to describe the direction of neural information.
The stress hormones, adrenaline and noradrenaline activate the heart, making it beat faster so I'm thinking that it is an efferent pathway where the message starts from the brain and goes to the heart muscles (through the SAM pathway), making the heart beat faster.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:38:32 am by Evolio »

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1621 on: April 18, 2020, 08:42:11 am »
+1
Hi,
In Selye's GAS model, I was just wondering during which stages the specific stress hormones are released and when the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems are activated. Also, does flight-fight-freeze response occur during the alarm stage? Different resources say different things and I am not entirely sure what VCAA expects us to say. thank uuuu!

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1622 on: April 18, 2020, 10:15:45 am »
+7
Hello!
The sympathetic nervous system is activated during the counter shock stage and as a result of that the stress hormones adrenaline and noradrenaline are also released during that stage. The sympathetic also activates the fight-flight response so this is activated in the counter-shock stage as well.
Cortisol also starts to release in counter shock but there is a high level of it for a prolonged period of time during resistance stage.
The parasympathetic nervous system becomes activated during dominant again in resistance however there is still a high level of arousal in the body.

EDIT: Thank you Bri MT for the feedback!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:06:29 am by Evolio »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1623 on: April 18, 2020, 10:45:39 am »
+6
Love Evolio's contributions. One thing I want to add is to make sure you're aware of how sympathetic and parasympathetic work together; specifically, that it's not a case of them turning on and off but that it's a change in which one is dominant.

amanaazim

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1624 on: April 18, 2020, 09:27:34 pm »
Hey i was just confused with this question: it was a multiple choice question from the nelson psychology unit 3&4 textbook

In classical conditioning, an organism develops an association between:

The conditioned stimulus (CS) and the unconditioned stimulus (UCS) was the correct answer. But i thought shouldn't it be the neutral stimulus and the conditioned stimulus cause we are turning the neutral stimulus into a conditioned stimulus.

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #1625 on: April 19, 2020, 01:33:40 pm »
Hi,

what is the exact biological process of the role of adrenaline in the consolidation of emotionally arousing memories? Like what  are the exact details required if you were to answer a question on this?

Thank you!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1626 on: April 19, 2020, 01:49:25 pm »
+6
Hi,

what is the exact biological process of the role of adrenaline in the consolidation of emotionally arousing memories? Like what  are the exact details required if you were to answer a question on this?

Thank you!

Hey

Basically
1. Adrenaline is released from the adrenal glands when we are in an emotionally aroused state(could be in response to a stressor,when we're in a state of fear, anything emotionally arousing really)
2. When adrenaline is released, noradrenaline is also released in the amygdala
3. Once noradrenaline is released in the amygdala, the amygdala sends a signal to the hippocampus that this memory should be stored/consolidated into long term memory.

So that's the role adrenaline plays in the consolidation of emotionally arousing memories. (with some help from noradrenaline, amygdala and the hippocampus)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:52:39 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #1627 on: April 20, 2020, 10:08:20 am »
thank you! would you say adrenaline is released as a neurohormone into the bloodstream?

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1628 on: April 20, 2020, 11:52:41 am »
+3
thank you! would you say adrenaline is released as a neurohormone into the bloodstream?
Hello.
Not Ionic Doc but since adrenaline is released from the adrenal glands, it would just be released as a hormone since neurohormones are released from neurons (which is not the case here).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 02:02:15 pm by Evolio »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #1629 on: April 20, 2020, 01:59:38 pm »
+3
Hello.
Since adrenaline is released from the adrenal glands, it would just be released as a hormone since neurohormones are released from neurons (which is not the case here).

I believe that you are correct. Is this about the consolidation of emotionally arousing experiences?
If so, stress hormone systems interact with the amygdala to regulate memory consolidation and storage processes occurring in other brain regions.
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1630 on: April 20, 2020, 02:57:07 pm »
+1
Hello.
Not Ionic Doc but since adrenaline is released from the adrenal glands, it would just be released as a hormone since neurohormones are released from neurons (which is not the case here).

that's interesting this link--->   https://www.britannica.com/science/neurohormone
says that neurohormones can be released into the bloodstream. I know that hormones can be released into the bloodstream but still confused on neurohormones.
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #1631 on: April 20, 2020, 03:11:15 pm »
+2
that's interesting this link--->   https://www.britannica.com/science/neurohormone
says that neurohormones can be released into the bloodstream. I know that hormones can be released into the bloodstream but still confused on neurohormones.
My understanding is that a neurohormone is any hormone produced and released into the blood. My Psych textbook says "a chemical substance sent from neurons into the bloodstream". if it released from a neuron it a neurohormone if its produced by something that isn't a neuron like a cell its a hormone.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1632 on: April 23, 2020, 11:38:46 am »
+4
Hey i was just confused with this question: it was a multiple choice question from the nelson psychology unit 3&4 textbook

In classical conditioning, an organism develops an association between:

The conditioned stimulus (CS) and the unconditioned stimulus (UCS) was the correct answer. But i thought shouldn't it be the neutral stimulus and the conditioned stimulus cause we are turning the neutral stimulus into a conditioned stimulus.

Since the NS = CS you cannot associate them. They are the same thing, except the name given to the stimulus changes once it has been learnt by the learner. Recall the 3-phase model for classical conditioning. Firstly, the NS produces no response and is repeatedly associated with the UCS to produces the UCR. Once this association has been established and learning has taken place, then the NS is now known as the CS. Therefore, at the start of the learning process, the CS and UCS are associated with one another (except at this stage the CS is called NS - not sure why the question phrases it this way, but it is what it is). A more correct answer would be the NS is associated with the UCS, however in this case the most correct answer from the answer options of your mc question seems to be UCS and CS.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:22:01 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #1633 on: April 23, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »
How may individuals not be able to learn(demonstrate knowledge or skills) via observational learning?

Is the task being too complex the only way individuals may not be able to learn something via observational learning??
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1634 on: April 23, 2020, 12:20:23 pm »
+5
How may individuals not be able to learn(demonstrate knowledge or skills) via observational learning?

Is the task being too complex the only way individuals may not be able to learn something via observational learning??

An individual won't be able to learn via observational learning if they cannot pass through any one of the 5 stages of observational learning. Recall these stages:
Attention: for learning to occur, one must actively watch the model's behaviour to recognise the distinctive features of the behaviour. More likely to imitate models who are:
   – Perceived as positive, are liked
   – Observer perceives themselves to have similar characteristics to the model
   – Model is familiar to the observer
   – Model's behaviour is visible, stands out against other models
   – Observer perceives that they can imitate the behaviour
Retention: the learner must keep and form a mental representation of the model's behaviour to remember it.
Reproduction: after observation, the learner must have the physical and mental capability to imitate the behaviour that has been observed.
Motivation: the learner must want to perform the behaviour. Unless a reward is given for performing the behaviour, they are unlikely to want to do it.
Reinforcement: there must be the prospect of a positive consequence for the learner. Reinforcement influences the motivation to reproduce the behaviour and increases the likelihood of reproducing the behaviour.

For example, if the learner does not pay attention to the model's behaviour they will be unable to proceed and thus will not go through the entirety of the model and consequently won't learn anything. Similarly, if the learner doesn't have the mental + physical capacity to produce the behaviour (i.e. it is too complex) then they will not be able to learn the behaviour.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash