Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:55:51 pm

Author Topic: Extension 1 - Romanticism  (Read 45228 times)  Share 

Prerna Kumar

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Extension 1 - Romanticism
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:02 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering if there were any great websites that you could recommend to help me analyse Frost at Midnight.
Thanks

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 07:55:17 am »
Hi, I was just wondering if there were any great websites that you could recommend to help me analyse Frost at Midnight.
Thanks

http://www.romanticismhsc.org/samuel-taylor-coleridge

I didn't use this site much during the HSC, but I went to the lectures they hold each year and they were fantastic! So, I hope this may be of help to you  :)
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2017, 04:48:26 pm »
Hey,

I am also studying Romanticism for the HSC! I honestly love this topic so much. I am a bit curious about how to dress related texts for the different prescribed texts.

For Coleridge: John Keats-La Belle Dame Sans Merci (my favourite poem)

For Frankenstien: I'm thinking of Wuthering Heights

however,

For A Vindication Of The Rights Of Woman: I have no idea. I am really unsure what to select and how to incorporate a related for this text.

Do you happen to have any ideas or advice I can use in regards to Romanticism related?

Thank you so much,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2017, 05:51:24 pm »
Hey,

I am also studying Romanticism for the HSC! I honestly love this topic so much. I am a bit curious about how to dress related texts for the different prescribed texts.

For Coleridge: John Keats-La Belle Dame Sans Merci (my favourite poem)

For Frankenstien: I'm thinking of Wuthering Heights

however,

For A Vindication Of The Rights Of Woman: I have no idea. I am really unsure what to select and how to incorporate a related for this text.

Do you happen to have any ideas or advice I can use in regards to Romanticism related?

Thank you so much,

Mary x

Hey Mary!

Personally I did not have a related text for each of my prescribed. This was mainly because I knew that I was going to write about Frankenstein and Vindication in my exam. So, I looked at Hazlitts essays (choosing 'On the Ignorance of the Learned' in the end) and Keats' Ode on a Grecian Urn. I picked these because I thought they exposed areas of Romanticism that my prescribed texts didn't cover. Also, I really enjoyed them (which is important!).
If you like Keats, perhaps you would like to use one of his Letters as another ORT. Otherwise, you could use some of P Shelley's Essays as an ORT for Vindication - as they expose another way in which political voice was exercised during the period
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 05:57:43 pm »
Hey Mary!

Personally I did not have a related text for each of my prescribed. This was mainly because I knew that I was going to write about Frankenstein and Vindication in my exam. So, I looked at Hazlitts essays (choosing 'On the Ignorance of the Learned' in the end) and Keats' Ode on a Grecian Urn. I picked these because I thought they exposed areas of Romanticism that my prescribed texts didn't cover. Also, I really enjoyed them (which is important!).
If you like Keats, perhaps you would like to use one of his Letters as another ORT. Otherwise, you could use some of P Shelley's Essays as an ORT for Vindication - as they expose another way in which political voice was exercised during the period

Hey,

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into Shelley's essays and poetry, hopefully I can find a related text.

Thank you so much for your feedback and advice,

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

Iesh

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 12:02:06 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for all the previous feedback. Just reading through has helped me :)
Just wondering if you could post an example of an exemplary Romanticism Essay or Creative Writing?
  Preferably a Coleridge and Wordsworth Essay  :D.....
If not, is there anywhere where I could access them? I just want to know the standard that I should be shooting for.
Also can we post essays to be marked on this forum?

Thanks for your time!! ;D

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 03:49:40 pm »
Hey Emily,

I just got my half yearly results back, 22/25 for the essay and 20/25 for the creative. The test was on 2 Coleridge poems, Frankenstein and a related (I did Edmund Burke's Treatise on the Sublime and Beautiful).

I'm debating about whether or not I should change the Burke related to something else (I would probably to Keats' letters). My second related is Shelley's 'A Defence of Poetry'.

What are your thoughts on these? Are any of them overdone in the HSC?

Thanks heaps!

Caroline

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 07:37:59 pm »
+1

Also can we post essays to be marked on this forum?

Thanks for your time!! ;D

Hey Lesh! If you'd like an Extension essay marked, you need to make 15 posts on the ATAR Notes forums :) So 15 posts = one marked piece. And I'll happily give you some feedback!

Also, one user has posted their HSC Romanticism essay which you can download here if you're looking for ideas :) They didn't say which mark they got, so gauge the quality for yourself :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 05:48:21 pm »
Hey Emily,

I just got my half yearly results back, 22/25 for the essay and 20/25 for the creative. The test was on 2 Coleridge poems, Frankenstein and a related (I did Edmund Burke's Treatise on the Sublime and Beautiful).

I'm debating about whether or not I should change the Burke related to something else (I would probably to Keats' letters). My second related is Shelley's 'A Defence of Poetry'.

What are your thoughts on these? Are any of them overdone in the HSC?

Thanks heaps!

Caroline

Hey there Caroline,
Those are pretty popular ORTs, yes. But you shouldn't stray away from them for this reason. If you've picked them because there's lots of notes available, or because your teacher has given you resources regarding them, you may want to rethink your choice. Ultimately, your ORT should show your own understanding of Romanticism. If it doesn't do this, or you're regurgitating common analysis/quotes, I would find something that you enjoy more :)

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +2
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 08:24:44 pm »
Hey there Caroline,
Those are pretty popular ORTs, yes. But you shouldn't stray away from them for this reason. If you've picked them because there's lots of notes available, or because your teacher has given you resources regarding them, you may want to rethink your choice. Ultimately, your ORT should show your own understanding of Romanticism. If it doesn't do this, or you're regurgitating common analysis/quotes, I would find something that you enjoy more :)

Hey Emily, no I haven't really been looking at notes and my teacher hasn't given us any resources, I am leaning more towards a defence of poetry and Dorothy Wordsworth's journals. Do you think that despite being quite popular it is still fine to use them? They both work very well for my argument and I genuinely enjoy them; however I don't want to do an ORT that is too overused.

Thank you! :)

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 05:59:57 pm »
Hey Emily, no I haven't really been looking at notes and my teacher hasn't given us any resources, I am leaning more towards a defence of poetry and Dorothy Wordsworth's journals. Do you think that despite being quite popular it is still fine to use them? They both work very well for my argument and I genuinely enjoy them; however I don't want to do an ORT that is too overused.

Thank you! :)

I don't think thats a bad thing, no! As long as you love them and can analyse them well  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 12:11:39 am »
Just set this topic as sticky so students can find it easily when they go to the Extension 1 forums! It's a very popular option so it makes sense to have it's own top-title like After the Bomb does.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:20:43 am by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 12:54:51 am »
Hello, I have an essay on Coleridge's poems as an assessment coming up, it's an in class essay but we have the question already. The question is "Write an essay that explores interplay between imagination and human experience in Romanticism.".

Can someone please help break this down for me? Our teacher recommended that we look at the poems holistically and dont break them up into paragraphs. I'm the most confused about the part about "interplay" and "human experience". We also have to link it to ways of thinking and philosophers at the time. Would appreciate any help, I'm so confused!!!! Thank you very much
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:27 am »
+1
Hello, I have an essay on Coleridge's poems as an assessment coming up, it's an in class essay but we have the question already. The question is "Write an essay that explores interplay between imagination and human experience in Romanticism.".

Can someone please help break this down for me? Our teacher recommended that we look at the poems holistically and dont break them up into paragraphs. I'm the most confused about the part about "interplay" and "human experience". We also have to link it to ways of thinking and philosophers at the time. Would appreciate any help, I'm so confused!!!! Thank you very much

Hey there!
So when the question asks you to examine 'interplay', you're looking at how these two ideas work together. How does the imagination change the way of thinking about the human experience? Does it allow romantics to better understand it? Does it uncover ideas that were previously not explored?

Otherwise, I would agree with your teacher when she advises you to think of the poem whollistically. That is, how do particular techniques work together to convey an idea. In this case, the idea would be the relationship between the human experience and the imagination.

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 09:02:02 pm »
Oh thank you, that makes sense.

For my structure, I was thinking of having two body paragraphs, with one focusing on nature (romantic way of thinking) and one focusing on childhood. And so, I will explore each theme separately in each paragraph, in realtion to power of imagination, human experience, the STC poems, and other ways of thinking of the time. Is this a good idea? Or should I not do this. You guys are really helpful thanks so much
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.