Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:34:08 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571020 times)  Share 

SmartWorker

• Forum Obsessive
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +79
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11805 on: June 27, 2019, 04:43:49 pm »
Hey,

I am in yr 10 doing bio 1/2 currently averaging 80%  :'(. Next in yr 11 I will be doing bio 3/4 and I am looking for a SS of 45+ I have heard from my teacher and others that you need to be getting like 95%+ on every sac, test, and exam. Currently sitting on a B, how am I supposed to improve to achieve this. I have been doing checkpoints and few practice exams (5). I am willing to put all the effort it takes. I just want to know how to do it and how to get better quickly. I have heard it many times that it is best to practice questions and regardless I have been getting 80%+.

Advice to smash Biology ¾:

2021 VCE - 99.35

Tutoring Bio, Chem, English, Methods 1/2 & 3/4 for 2022. DM if interested

Want some advice for VCE? 👇

https://youtu.be/zq0xsaE9GJ4

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #11806 on: June 27, 2019, 04:50:41 pm »
+3
Hey,

I am in yr 10 doing bio 1/2 currently averaging 80%  :'(. Next in yr 11 I will be doing bio 3/4 and I am looking for a SS of 45+ I have heard from my teacher and others that you need to be getting like 95%+ on every sac, test, and exam. Currently sitting on a B, how am I supposed to improve to achieve this. I have been doing checkpoints and few practice exams (5). I am willing to put all the effort it takes. I just want to know how to do it and how to get better quickly. I have heard it many times that it is best to practice questions and regardless I have been getting 80%+.

nah biology definitely isn't one of those subjects you need absolutely perfect raw scores in to end up with high study scores. This is based on the fact that assessors/teachers can be quite harsh with marking.

For a 45+ you would need a high rank on your sacs (actual raw scores don't matter ) and then probably mid-high 80s to low 90s on the exam.

Rameen

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11807 on: June 28, 2019, 07:26:16 am »
Hello,
Does anyone have any unit 3 biology practice exams to do over the holidays?

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #11808 on: June 28, 2019, 03:28:51 pm »
+1
Hello,
Does anyone have any unit 3 biology practice exams to do over the holidays?
Have you asked your teachers? They often have large stashes of exams they can give to you.
Otherwise you can always just do the unit 3 questions from unit 3/4 exams.

Another alternative would be to do exam style questions like those from atar notes topic tests or checkpoints books.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

pugs

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #11809 on: June 30, 2019, 11:03:26 pm »
would someone be able to explain the difference between an autoimmune and an immune deficiency disease please?

2019 vce journal here

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #11810 on: July 01, 2019, 12:34:11 am »
+3
would someone be able to explain the difference between an autoimmune and an immune deficiency disease please?
An autoimmune disease is when a person's immune cells attack healthy cells, and an immune deficiency disease is when a person immune system doesn't work well enough to kill invading pathogens - eg HIV invades T helper cells which stops them from being able to coordinate the immune response which results in the body not being able to fight off disease.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

bi-and-ready-to-cry

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11811 on: July 01, 2019, 03:47:12 pm »
+5

An autoimmune disease occurs when the body's leukocytes such as NK cells do not recognise the self antigens and the MHC1 markers on your cells and attack them. An example is Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's. In Parkinson's Your WBC attack the myelin sheath of your neurons preventing efficient signalling which leads to tremors and inability to control muscle movement.

People with immunodeficiencies have weaker immune systems due to illness or disease, VCAA uses AIDS/HIV as an example. The HIV viruses infect your regular healthy white blood cells and prevent them from  functioning properly and fighting off disease and pathogens.

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11812 on: July 02, 2019, 09:55:08 pm »
+1
thanks PhoenixxFire and bi-and-ready-to-cry!  :D

2019 vce journal here

nianid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11813 on: July 03, 2019, 06:57:11 pm »
Hey guys! Does anyone know in how much detail we have to know the geological time scale of earth? In the Heinamann book there are a variety of eons and eras and I'm quite overwhelmed by all the info. Thanks!
Greek (44)
Bio, Chem, Psych, English Language, Methods

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11814 on: July 03, 2019, 07:06:20 pm »
+3
Hey guys! Does anyone know in how much detail we have to know the geological time scale of earth? In the Heinamann book there are a variety of eons and eras and I'm quite overwhelmed by all the info. Thanks!
Hey!

Yeah textbooks tend to have way too much info. You don't really need to know much at all for the exam (although your school may still test unnecessary info in your SAC). You need to know that time is divided into eons/eras etc. but you don't need to be able to name them. You need to have a general understanding of how long things have taken to evolve in relation to the age of the earth and the general order. The document linked here might help :)

pugs

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11815 on: July 06, 2019, 11:54:57 pm »
for the question 'under certain conditions plasmids can cross a cell membrane and enter a bacterial cell. what are they?', i have an answer of after undergoing electroporation lol because after googling & looking through the textbook i still have no idea - would anyone be able to help me out please?  :)

2019 vce journal here

xxxjss

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #11816 on: July 07, 2019, 10:45:42 pm »
+5
for the question 'under certain conditions plasmids can cross a cell membrane and enter a bacterial cell. what are they?', i have an answer of after undergoing electroporation lol because after googling & looking through the textbook i still have no idea - would anyone be able to help me out please?  :)

Ultimately, you want a more fluid plasma membrane. And what can turn things to mush? Heat and electricity!!!!! This is achieved by what you have mentioned, electroporation!!!, where an electric current is administered to the bacterial cell. It is this electric current that alters the plasma membrane, increasing its permeability so the plasmid can scoot through. Likewise, another method known as heat shock can be used as well. This uses knowledge of how temperature can affect the fluidity of the membrane. The bacteria and plasmids are placed into an icey solution, which is then rapidly increased to a hotter temperature, once again allowing the plasmid to penetrate the PM! I think emphasising rapid change is important here as if it were to be gradual then them cholesterol molecules will do their thing and prevent the PM from becoming permeable enough for the plasmids to enter.
So i believe the answer is what you have already mentioned, electroporation i.e the administration of an electrical current, as well as extreme , rapid temperature changes
Hope this helps  ;D ;D ;D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #11817 on: July 09, 2019, 01:28:52 pm »
Hey guys! Is there any difference in the terms cell replication and mitosis? Can I use them interchangeably?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #11818 on: July 09, 2019, 01:47:43 pm »
+4
Hey guys! Is there any difference in the terms cell replication and mitosis? Can I use them interchangeably?
Cell replication is more broad - it could also include DNA replication and cytokinesis. A lot of the time you will just be able to use them interchangeably though - depends on the question.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #11819 on: July 09, 2019, 02:08:12 pm »
Cell replication is more broad - it could also include DNA replication and cytokinesis. A lot of the time you will just be able to use them interchangeably though - depends on the question.

Thank you!!