Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:51:24 pm

Author Topic: Should I go to Melbourne High?  (Read 8131 times)  Share 

TheEndHasCome

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I go to Melbourne High?
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:05:09 pm »
Hi
I got accepted into the Melbourne High year 10 entry. I'm not sure what to do tho. My current school is good, but I've heard Melbourne High is great as well.
Any advice?

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Should I go to Melbourne High?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 05:11:58 pm »
Congrats on your offer, and welcome to ATAR Notes!

What do you see to be the pros and cons? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Servillian

• Trendsetter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 07:11:52 pm »
Hi
I got accepted into the Melbourne High year 10 entry. I'm not sure what to do tho. My current school is good, but I've heard Melbourne High is great as well.
Any advice?
I would go without hesitation, but I don’t know about your situation.
It’s no doubt one of the best schools in the state.
Good luck on your decision.

jeysann

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 07:49:22 pm »
Pros:
SAC scaling (read up on this)
Competitive environment
Cons:
Most likely far
Competitive environment
trash teachers

If you think you can do well in a competitive environment and maintain above average, then it'll be a school that'll help your studies. Other than that, there's not much reason to leave your current school for mhs.

exit

• Forum Obsessive
  • COALESCE
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 08:38:04 pm »
Some Cons:

Many of the teachers have a very bad reputation, even worse than a lot of public schools

The VCE Subject selection is very limited. They don't let you take subjects such as Methods 3/4 or Physics 3/4 in year 11. And they don't let you do ANY year 11 1/2 (except maybe a language externally) subject in year 10. In my opinion, this is handicapping talented students and average students will be having the advantage in this situation LOL.

There is probably no reason to go to Melbourne High academic wise over your current school apart from having talented classmates which can benefit your sac marks, but I heard their extracurricular programs and activities are very good and the school clearly invests into their facilities and stuff. (exact opposite to my school LOL) A lot of people probably won't make use of a lot of extracurriculars so question whether you want to pursue a sport or participate in certain clubs. Otherwise, I suggest stay.

VCE [ATAR: 99.25]: Physics 1/2, English 1/2, EngLang,Methods, Spesh, Accounting, Chem, German

2018-2021: Bachelor Of Commerce @ University of Melbourne
VCE English Language: A+ Short Answer Guide[pm for extra guidance!]

Servillian

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 09:33:59 pm »
i love the school but don't you think it's overhyped? hate to say but mhs is good because of the STUDENTS, not the facilities (imo the facilities are above average at best). The only thing i hated about mhs was the dud teachers lol.
i'd definitely recommend going to mhs, but the school is really overrated tho.
Maybe overhyped, but much better than my current school.
Even some teachers who used to work at MHS say that it was way better than their current school.

pitabread

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 10:22:49 pm »
MHS was so shit.
The amount of sleep everyone loses because of the fucked up teachers is unbearable. Year 9 & 10, you won't even realise, it isn't until crunch time (VCE) where you realise how shit most of them are.
The school is honestly not getting better, it's decaying as time goes - seriously don't know why I stayed instead of going back to my previous school. The only pros I can think of right now for going to mhs is that you're all boys, so inevitably you're gonna fuck around in class and have fun.
Have a good think about it, mate.

Hannibal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:50:02 pm »
I was a Year 10 entry as well and similarly was very torn up between whether to stay at my old school or to leave.

If you do it right, MHS is honestly life-changing, I have no clue where I’d be without it. You grow so much as a person and are surrounded with absolute gems.

Yes there are a few people that go down the wrong path, but that’s the case with every school. It’s important to pick out the right friendship circle. 

If you make the most of every opportunity, the sky is the limit. Would 100% recommend it.

2018-2020: UoM Comm

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 12:15:33 am »
+4
Attended Mac.rob, I didn't really like too many of the teachers that much there (most were fine but I hated one in particular because she insulted me and made a bunch of assumptions about my life), I do think though that most of the posts in thread are over reactions and exaggerations. It's true that most teachers are not particularly great (although there are a few that were genuinely amazing, fostered a love for the subject and challenged you), but people have very high expectations of teachers in these schools as a result may exaggerate the 'terribleness' when they are not up to their standards. I find this attitude somewhat elitist and problematic, as while I believe that public schools deserved teachers of a better standard, many people seem to think that selective schools are entitled to better teachers than other public schools. I can literally assure that the overall standard of teaching is no worse than other public schools.

In terms of extra-curriculars and personal development (Mac.rob has only started to put an emphasis on it), the school is second to none. You do really meet a few amazing people in every year level who are very passionate about music, sport , drama, social issues amongst other things in an inspiring and infectious kind of way. Those are the people that changes your outlook, worldview and challenges you to be more socially aware. Obviously, these types of people exist in every school, but I think that Mac.rob/MHS makes it socially acceptable to be weirdly passionate about specific interests or to have strong views about social issues compared to many others. In addition, the alumni networks of both schools are very vast, and you are bound to come across a few people who makes the most out of opportunities out there and are really making the world a better place. Although most people do have opportunities in life, not many other schools really encourage of push students to take advantage of them (Mac.rob is still somewhat behind MHS there), instead usually saying just finish high school, complete a degree, do a conventional job (I would consider an average doctor and lawyer in that category too). I'm not saying that the majority of students/alumni are doing inspiring things, but there are quite a few that do, those are the type of people who makes you believe it's possible to do something beyond and strive for that.

Whichever way you choose, don't inherit the 'grass is greener on the other side' attitude. It's ok to go to MHS and leave the school, but do so because it's not right for you or are not enjoying it there, rather than because there are potentially better options.
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

lach_chau04

• Adventurer
  • *Can be a bit of an otaku sometimes*😅
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 01:24:39 pm »
Ooft this may be a little late, but congrats! I was fortunate enough to get an interview for yr 10, but didn't pass that :( which makes me really sad. I wonder if we did the interview on the same day lol (mine was 2nd August). Anyways, I think you should really go there, but it may be far getting to and from there and I have friends that say that the teacher's aren't the best lol.

Oh well, hope you choose wisely (I think you already chose) and good luck on your future studies. Only thing I have to worry about is getting a late offer...welp :(
Nani?
2019 - VCE Mathematical Methods Units 1 & 2

scientificllama

• Forum Obsessive
  • insert quirky quote
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 10:46:02 am »
i love the school but don't you think it's overhyped? hate to say but mhs is good because of the STUDENTS, not the facilities (imo the facilities are above average at best). The only thing i hated about mhs was the dud teachers lol.
i'd definitely recommend going to mhs, but the school is really overrated tho.

This is legit the most honest thing about selective schools, THANK YOU FOR POINTING THIS OUT.
Also regarding going to MHS, if your school is great and you are satisfied with the work you are getting (it's not too easy) then stay. To be honest, no one in the future is really gonna care what high school you come from and selective school are extensively overhyped due to the students perfromance: not the teachers or facilities. I'd also like to mention that attending a selective school is going to put a lot of strain on you academically and mentally due to the preassure the school places on students to perform well as well as the extremely competitive society of the school.
If you need any more help deciding message me whenever  :)
2019: 1/2 Psych

2020: English, Bio, Chem, Psych, HHD, Methods

2021: bye bye psych :D

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 01:32:16 pm »
+1
Would really encourage anyone thinking of posting in this thread to use their brain a bit. A lot of what has already been posted is just lazy ad hominem that can’t be taken seriously as an accurate representation of what life is like at MHS. Particularly the comments that have been made about teachers at MHS and the suggestion that teachers in public schools are by definition worse, something that simply isn’t supported by the evidence.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 02:06:20 pm »
The performance of such schools are a testament to the ability of the students, not the facilities or the teachers. Sure, not all public school teachers are terrible, hell I’d say most teachers are capable. However, there is a difference between a competent teacher and an excellent one.

Often prospective students to such schools hold the belief that there is a significantly larger proportion of ‘excellent teachers’, especially in comparison to their current school.
Going in with such a belief will almost always lead to disappointment. From my experience there is no difference in these proportions. Every school has amazing teachers but these are rare, no matter what type of school (I cant speak for private schools, never been). Like wise, every school has ‘bad’ teachers, no matter what school you go to.

While I’d argue that selective schools don’t really have better teachers on average compared to other public schools, there are a number of other benefits from such schools that, in my opinion, are more important. Things such as extra curricular opportunities, more school events and in general like minded and abled peers.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

lacitam

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 07:22:02 pm »
+2
Melbourne High is a good school, just don't fuck around a lot during VCE and you'll be fine.
You're surrounded by like-minded kids, so that's a big plus (trust me, the dumb shit your classmates do are enjoyable). Just make you sure you also take time to have fun, whether it be sports/extracurricular or in class.

I'm not trying to insinuate anything and it's perfectly fine to be studious, but if all you do is study, study, study and not fuck around in class, then you're really doing something wrong (after the year 10 exams, no one gave a shit anymore, so pretty much all of us fucked with the school with pranks). If you believe our school is filled with scholarly kids, check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXDjkbxHgUQ (if links aren't allowed, search 'A Maths Class at Melbourne High School' on YouTube) - fun fact, one of them holding a nerf gun is my brother  :P

Seriously man, you won't regret coming here. It's not only until I graduated mhs where I actually appreciated the moments I had with the school. Sure, it's not perfect here in some aspects, but your mates really make up for it.

PM me if you need help.
All the best :)