Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:44 am

Author Topic: How to study for English?  (Read 1768 times)

FoodLover195

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Wingham High School
  • School Grad Year: 2018
How to study for English?
« on: March 29, 2017, 07:32:45 pm »
Hello. Simply put, I'm trying to work out how I should go about studying for English.

I'm a Yr 11 Student currently doing Advanced English (Although I will more than likely drop to standard). Anything to do with English, I consider myself bad at. I choose Advance English for Yr 11, so I could try to increase my range of knowledge. The thing is though; I don't ever study English at home. I feel like I should try and get into the habit of learning something new daily.

The problem with that is I can't comprehend English at all. It's beyond me. I see Literature as a very subjective thing, and I can't judge what is considered 'good' or even 'great' writing. Essays and Analysing are my worst skill. I can tell when I enjoy and don't enjoy a text, but can't explain why. Practice makes perfect, right? So that's what I want to do, I just don't know how I should.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: How to study for English?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:54:02 pm »
Hello. Simply put, I'm trying to work out how I should go about studying for English.

I'm a Yr 11 Student currently doing Advanced English (Although I will more than likely drop to standard). Anything to do with English, I consider myself bad at. I choose Advance English for Yr 11, so I could try to increase my range of knowledge. The thing is though; I don't ever study English at home. I feel like I should try and get into the habit of learning something new daily.

The problem with that is I can't comprehend English at all. It's beyond me. I see Literature as a very subjective thing, and I can't judge what is considered 'good' or even 'great' writing. Essays and Analysing are my worst skill. I can tell when I enjoy and don't enjoy a text, but can't explain why. Practice makes perfect, right? So that's what I want to do, I just don't know how I should.

Hey FoodLover! There is an awesome guide on how to study for Advanced right here ;D

To be honest, I was in a very similar boat to you in Year 11. English was never my thing, had never written an essay, didn't get what analysis was supposed to look like. I'd encourage you to hang in there, seek help where you need it, and just work at it. I promise it will start coming together. Advanced and Standard are literally the same workload and very similar expectation - There is no reason that anyone driven to succeed can't do that in English Advanced :)

A whole bunch of other useful English resources right here as well!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: How to study for English?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 12:50:09 am »

Hey! I'm going to suggest some reading for you, if you have the chance!

George Orwell has written "Why I write" and I think it's a great example of an essay (seeing as that is the form), but also creative work (seeing as he talks about his creatives). It's a thin book you can get for about $5 but I'm fairly certain it's available on iBooks and possibly even on the internet for free. Your English teacher might even have a copy you could borrow.

Something that makes texts great is the timeliness of their message. This is why George Orwell is so revered for Animal Farm and 1984: they are a creative way of recognising the perils of the way the world was headed then (and now...). Many of the texts in the HSC course are selected because they critique something - personal, political, social, historical, etc. Every text has a purpose, and the time it was produced links in with the idea of timeliness. Better yet - often texts are just a vehicle for driving a message that transcends the bounds of the book. Animal Farm is an allegory about dictatorship. Take away all the animals and you're left with a very alarming message about politics and society that can be seen and applied in various aspects of the world now, and likely in the future too.

I've learned to love reading, writing, absorbing and observing, so I'm happy to help out if I can :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!