Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:17:52 pm

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 336234 times)  Share 

DoctorTwo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #1005 on: January 24, 2019, 03:19:52 pm »
Anybody know what time parking permits usually go on sale? I got the email saying the days for each campus and prices but does anyone know whether it's usually midnight that day or later? Also, do they sell out quick? Thanks!

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #1006 on: January 24, 2019, 04:54:11 pm »
I know this is a very weird question but do you have any famous musician alumini?
-KgkG-

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #1007 on: January 24, 2019, 04:55:33 pm »
I know this is a very weird question but do you have any famous musician alumini?
idk of many but I think Vance Joy (arts/law) is one

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #1008 on: January 24, 2019, 05:09:16 pm »
Here's a list from Wikipedia, so can't verify the trustworthiness of this, but there's a few more than noted here.

Anybody know what time parking permits usually go on sale? I got the email saying the days for each campus and prices but does anyone know whether it's usually midnight that day or later? Also, do they sell out quick? Thanks!
Late February/ early March is when they go on sale from recollection. (Site for parking permits is here.) Don't know if they sell out quick and whether it's midnight or later.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

lorennnz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1009 on: January 25, 2019, 12:07:22 am »
I noticed on the website that if you're doing engineering/science double degree, you can graduate with an eng degree earlier than your overall course length (eng in your fourth year of a five year degree) or with a science degree. Anyone have any experience with this?
BEng/BSci 2019 - 2023

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #1010 on: January 25, 2019, 09:16:14 am »
+2
I noticed on the website that if you're doing engineering/science double degree, you can graduate with an eng degree earlier than your overall course length (eng in your fourth year of a five year degree) or with a science degree. Anyone have any experience with this?

This is what is known as alternative exits. Some degrees allow you to graduate early with a different degree or one of your degrees as long as you meet the requirements for that degree.

In the case of Engineering (Honours) and Science, you would basically have to choose units as if you were taking a single degree in Eng to be able to finish it in 4 years, or a single degree in Science to be able to finish it in 3 years. Both of these degrees taken as single degrees are normally this long anyway.

The alternative exit choices for Eng/Sci are mainly for people who no longer want to do the double degree, and wish to only study Eng or Sci without having to go through the hassle of transfer applications to move themselves from a double to a single.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

lorennnz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1011 on: January 25, 2019, 09:33:35 am »
This is what is known as alternative exits. Some degrees allow you to graduate early with a different degree or one of your degrees as long as you meet the requirements for that degree.

In the case of Engineering (Honours) and Science, you would basically have to choose units as if you were taking a single degree in Eng to be able to finish it in 4 years, or a single degree in Science to be able to finish it in 3 years. Both of these degrees taken as single degrees are normally this long anyway.

The alternative exit choices for Eng/Sci are mainly for people who no longer want to do the double degree, and wish to only study Eng or Sci without having to go through the hassle of transfer applications to move themselves from a double to a single.

Thank you! I thought it would allow you to graduate from eng earlier and still complete the double degree.
BEng/BSci 2019 - 2023

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #1012 on: January 26, 2019, 01:02:24 pm »
Hey

In the off-chance I get an offer into Law as a second round offer, how would I go about re-making my timetable on allocate+, considering preference entry closes on the 29th of January? Would my timetable just be the leftover spots, and therefore a complete mess?

Thanks
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1013 on: January 26, 2019, 01:41:35 pm »
+4
Hey

In the off-chance I get an offer into Law as a second round offer, how would I go about re-making my timetable on allocate+, considering preference entry closes on the 29th of January? Would my timetable just be the leftover spots, and therefore a complete mess?

Thanks

You would allocate your timetable in the adjustment period that opens on the 5th of February. During this period, any changes made are in real-time and update immediately. Classes that are full cannot be manually allocated, so yes, essentially you are having to pick between times that are 'leftover' or free (you have no choice in any automatically allocated classes as usual). Classes that were previously full have a chance of opening up as students move around, and sometimes more class times are added.

Edit: Should probably make clear I haven't experienced this myself, but you may be given a randomly allocated timetable first, then you can adjust it like everyone else in the adjustment period.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:48:33 pm by www »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1014 on: January 26, 2019, 03:35:50 pm »
+5
Hey

Thanks
You would allocate your timetable in the adjustment period that opens on the 5th of February. During this period, any changes made are in real-time and update immediately. Classes that are full cannot be manually allocated, so yes, essentially you are having to pick between times that are 'leftover' or free (you have no choice in any automatically allocated classes as usual). Classes that were previously full have a chance of opening up as students move around, and sometimes more class times are added.

Edit: Should probably make clear I haven't experienced this myself, but you may be given a randomly allocated timetable first, then you can adjust it like everyone else in the adjustment period.
www is pretty much right. Just wanted to point out that it is possible to switch into a ‘full’ session, although it’s a bit trickier. When you receive your timetable in the adjustment period, ask on Moodle forums to see if you can find someone to swap with you. If you have a lab or a class that is heavily controlled by attendance (e.g. a tute that has an attendance rate), usually you’d be able to swap with that willing classmate via telling the unit coordinators (they usually post early and say who to contact and how). The Moodle page will be super helpful to know how to proceed, as some will also tell you to (nicely) email the Allocate+ people to fix this on your timetable after fixing in class, so that everything is official.
VTAC Info Thread

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1015 on: January 26, 2019, 04:45:25 pm »
+3
www is pretty much right. Just wanted to point out that it is possible to switch into a ‘full’ session, although it’s a bit trickier. When you receive your timetable in the adjustment period, ask on Moodle forums to see if you can find someone to swap with you. If you have a lab or a class that is heavily controlled by attendance (e.g. a tute that has an attendance rate), usually you’d be able to swap with that willing classmate via telling the unit coordinators (they usually post early and say who to contact and how). The Moodle page will be super helpful to know how to proceed, as some will also tell you to (nicely) email the Allocate+ people to fix this on your timetable after fixing in class, so that everything is official.

It looks like they're introducing a built in swapping system on Allocate+ this year!

'Submit a swap request' under this link.

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1016 on: January 26, 2019, 05:01:09 pm »
Alrighty thanks so much guys, way less stressed now aha .

www is pretty much right. Just wanted to point out that it is possible to switch into a ‘full’ session, although it’s a bit trickier. When you receive your timetable in the adjustment period, ask on Moodle forums to see if you can find someone to swap with you.

What do you exactly mean by full session?
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #1017 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:26 pm »
+1
It looks like they're introducing a built in swapping system on Allocate+ this year!

'Submit a swap request' under this link.
I used this (SwapMe) last semester, and basically you select the class you want to swap from, and the time you want to swap to, and the system tries to match you with someone wanting the opposite swap. Once they've found someone, the swap is made. I believe you can also access this via Allocate+ itself - there should be a "request swap" option next to any full class :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:09:29 pm by VanillaRice »
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1018 on: January 26, 2019, 07:16:29 pm »
What do you exactly mean by full session?
The classes that are marked "full" or are at maximum capacity.
VTAC Info Thread

Globe

• Forum Regular
« Reply #1019 on: January 26, 2019, 08:39:00 pm »
The classes that are marked "full" or are at maximum capacity.

Oh lmao complete brain fade there aha, thanks a lot