Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:05:42 am

Author Topic: JMSS preparation  (Read 750 times)  Share 

heyguys98

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
JMSS preparation
« on: September 19, 2019, 05:44:01 pm »
hi there!
i'm preparing for jmss entrance exam next yr
would do u guys recommend any books that may be worth reading? like the textbooks or something?
my friend who got in a couple years ago told me that i should understand all topics in the maths and science yr 8 and 9 textbooks.
do u guys recommend that as well?

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
Re: JMSS preparation
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:42:21 pm »
hi there!
would do u guys recommend any books that may be worth reading? like the textbooks or something?
my friend who got in a couple years ago told me that i should understand all topics in the maths and science yr 8 and 9 textbooks.

Herro!!
I got accepted into JMSS yr 10 for next year
I suggest studying your basic math and science and if you've got time, you can also look at Year 10+ science and math. However, the science exam isn't really about knowledge, more towards how you interpret data and visuals. I actually didn't study for the tests at all and I found the exams quite simple
Feel free to pm me with any more questions and good luck
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 02:08:26 pm »
hi there!

I would recommend going through the year 9 science to get a good understanding of science. Although the scientific reasoning test does not  heavily rely on prior knowledge, it is important to get a good understanding of science for the written expression and the interview. For maths, just go through the same material as you did for the year 8 selective school test (if you tried out). Which is simply just year 9 maths that is covered in the textbook.
It is quite easy to pass the test, as many people do pass. However, the interview is a completely different story. For the interview, it is important to have a good year 8 semester 2 and year 9 semester. So DO NOT SLACK AT SCHOOL. Also, I would highly recommend enrolling in science comps throughout the next year, which will results in you receiving numerous awards to further prove your passion for science.

parzival.956.1

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 11:13:53 am »
Hey, got into JMSS this year, would recommend going to Hendersons or some other type of preparation such as James An. The interview mainly focuses on how you speak and interact with other people.