Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:45 am

Author Topic: cdiamond's VCE Journal  (Read 10720 times)

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
Re: cdiamond's VCE Journal
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 11:58:14 am »
Do you know when your oral exam date gets confirmed? That looks like a pretty good exam timetable to me - are you happy with it? Looks like you have a day or two at least between all exams except for Methods & Methods, and that might even be a plus (staying in the Methods zone)!
I think my oral exam gets confirmed somewhere in the middle of Term 3. I'm actually really happy with the exam timetable! Aside from Methods, at least I have a day to revise and go through over my notes to prepare myself instead of having them consecutively and making myself more stressed about it :). And even for Methods, like you said, I do think it's good that they are consecutive because the concepts and formulas will still be fresh in my mind!

Well for me next year..
I have English, the next day Eco.... then the next day Bio!!!!
Great schedule. At least ill be finishing early ahaha
Your schedule is actually perfect
Aww man. This means that you're doing Year 12 next year?
2017: Further Mathematics
2018: Chinese Second Language | Economics | English Language | Chemistry | Methods
2019: Bachelor of Arts at UniMelb
My VCE Journal [click me!]

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 03:19:35 pm »
+1
2nd day of the last week of school! This is a week where we're getting back some of our sacs that we did a little later in the term as well as get a little start on Unit 4!

English Language
SAC 2a [formal AC]: 78% [39/50]/[23/30 VCAA marks]
Feelings: I'm over the moon with this result! I improved by 10% since my last informal AC, and I enjoyed writing this AC alot too! Not only that, my English Language teacher praised me by saying that I did amazing and that it was a beautiful piece of work that I should be proud of, as well as said she loves me 'cause she can read my handwriting XD, that meant a lot to me.

Economics
SAC 3: 62% [below average - 68%]
Feelings: Considering I studied on the day itself, as well as had diminishing confidence in this subject, I feel surprisingly ok with the results. It kinda makes me wonder what I would have got if I had studied in advance. Though I am a bit disappointed, I am happy I got higher than SAC2 (54%). I have got to work harder for Economics... the concepts are really hard for me to grasp but I will try my best.

Methods
We did a little quiz and not surprisingly, I got 3/20. Honestly, I wasn't feeling well during the quiz but I got to step up my game!

Chinese Second Language
Detailed study script is only a quarter done and I really need to quicken my pace for the writing of this speech, I'm planning to use the holidays to do this.

Chemistry
Naming alkanes and all those stuff are really really hard. I'm going to use the holidays to brush up on my knowledge of this too.
2018: Chinese Second Language | Economics | English Language | Chemistry | Methods

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 05:05:39 pm »
What's your detailed study topic?
兵马俑 is my topic :)

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 12:10:40 pm »
+1
So I haven't posted for a long time, but here's my updates:
Methods
I got my Methods SAC back and got a really low 58% which is 14/25 VCAA marks. The average for the year level is 65%, with many getting 80% and above. I actually came out of the SAC thinking I did ok but obviously that wasn't the case. I'm really down at this results, I haven't been doing well at all the whole year for all my subjects and now I feel less confident and very unmotivated. My parents will eventually find out about my results, and will be really upset and mad at me. I also feel I won't live up to my parent's expectations which seem so far away now.
English Language
We did a trial practice exam last week of last term. We got that marked by an examiner and got it back. It consisted of short answer questions and an AC, not an essay because we hadn't started on it yet at that time. For short answers, I got 12/15 while for the AC, I got 21/30.

That's all for now.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 12:16:02 pm by cdiamond »

southmelbdimsim

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: JMSS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 02:30:10 pm »
My parents will eventually find out about my results, and will be really upset and mad at me. I also feel I won't live up to my parent's expectations which seem so far away now.

Are you Chinese with a tiger mum?!!??!!

I think you underestimate your parent's capacity to support you. I learn from my parents while they do hope that their children will do well, they will do almost anything to support their children to achieve what they want and I think most parents are the same.

I didn't do as well as I had hoped for my VCE and my parents did everything they can to support me and I think if you share how you feel with your parents, they will find a way to support you and not be mad at you. There was a time when I thought the same as you about my parents but I was wrong. Anyway you can only try your best but don't be so discouraged. Life goes on regardless of what your score you get but I have no doubt you will achieve your dream job.

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2018, 09:43:58 am »
+3
English Language
SAC 1 [essay}: 50/60 (83%)
SAC 2 [report]:TBD

Chemistry
SAC 1 [experiment + test]: 33/70 (47%) - horribly done by me, my experiment marks saved me from a fail honestly (passing mark = 30%), I've kinda given up on Chemistry
SAC 2 [test]: TBD

Chinese Second Language
SAC 1 [translating + reading]: 80% (16/20)
SAC 2 [writing]: 75% (15/20)
SAC 3 [speaking]: TBD

Methods
SAC 1: 57.5%
SAC 2: TBC

Economics
SAC 1: 28/43 (65%)
SAC 2: TBD

Overall: Not confident at all; methods has already pulled down my confidence, economics makes it worst, and now chemistry is below 50%, I feel like giving up honestly...

Unit 3 letter grades according to 2017 grade distributions
English Language: 15+20+14+23 = 72 (LOW B+)
Chinese Second Language: 12+9+15 = 3 (LOW B)
Chemistry: 31.5+33.6 = 65.1 (MID C)
Economics: 27+16.8+18.6 = 62.4 (LOW C+)
[UNIT 3+4] Methods: 33+14+____ = 47 (CURRENTLY LOW D+)

CURRENT Unit 4 letter grades according to 2017 grade distributions
English Language: 41.5+____ = 41.5 (LOW D+)
Chinese Second Language: 8+15+____ = 23 (LOW C)
Chemistry: 25+14+____ = 39 (LOW D+)
Economics: 39+____ = 39 (MID D)
[UNIT 3+4] Methods: 33+14+____ = 47 (CURRENTLY LOW D+)

Expected study scores
ENL: 30
CSL: 25 (?)
CHE: 25(?)
ECO: 25 (?)
MET: 25(?)

Wanted Study Scores
ENL: 35
CSL: 25
CHE: 30
ECO: 30
MET: 30

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 08:54:22 am »
+3
Methods SAC 3 (Analysis Task 2): 65% (26/40)
ENL Report SAC: TBC
CHE Written SAC: TBC [I think I did badly on this one too]
CHI Oral Sac: TBC [I think I did badly, I kept pausing, I mixed up sentences, I got some pronunciations wrong, I didn't know what I was talking about most of the time]
ECO SAC: TBC
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:08:24 pm by cdiamond »

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 07:07:10 pm »
+1
Hey man! Just want to give you some motivation for Chinese :D Don't worry - I repeat - Do. Not. Worry. if you think you got sentences mixed up or if you don't know what you're talking about. Most of the time the examiners don't know much about particular topics either so if you just act like you know what you're talking about and that you're confident with your information, then they'll believe you!
Spoiler
Personal anecdote - when I did my oral the super picky examiner asked me to name some important people related by my Detailed Study. I named 3, then the lady was like, "apart form those three, do you know any more?". I only actually learnt three so panicked internally, so I did the only thing I could do, which was to say a random name and add some random achievements to make it sound like I TOTALLY knew my stuff.
I'm not saying that's always a good idea, but I just want you to know that most examiners won't know the content as well as you do so be confident!! :)

And also don't worry about pronunciation lol. Many people who do Chinese SL aren't even Chinese so examiners are pretty relaxed around pronunciation. For some extra reassurance, I did SLA as a 100% white guy who can't speak Chinese without sounding like white people trying to be racist and still did decent on the oral. So if I can do it, so can you!
Thanks for the encouragement! That's really sweet of you. Apart from the fact that I'm Asian but don't sound Chinese at all, I think I'll be able to pass haha. But thanks again for the encouragement!

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 11:04:35 am »
+2
Term 4 has started and less than a month till exams are starting. Here's what has been going on:
ENL Practice Exam: 47/75 (62%)
                                 SAQ: 11/15
                                 AC: 20/30
                                 Essay: 16/30
Chinese Practice Oral: 6-7
Chinese Oral SAC 3: 17/25 (68%)
Chemistry SAC: 16/50 (32%) - barely passed
Economics SAC: To be recieved
ENL SAC: To be recieved

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 01:14:04 pm »
Good luck with the rest of your studying.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 06:29:50 pm »
+1
Term 4 has started and less than a month till exams are starting. Here's what has been going on:
ENL Practice Exam: 47/75 (62%)
                                 SAQ: 11/15
                                 AC: 20/30
                                 Essay: 16/30
Chinese Practice Oral: 6-7
Chinese Oral SAC 3: 17/25 (68%)
Chemistry SAC: 16/50 (32%) - barely passed
Economics SAC: To be recieved
ENL SAC: To be recieved

I wouldn't bother trying to use those scores to predict study scores yet btw. As you move into intensive revision I'd be surprised if any of them stayed the same.

Best of luck!

cdiamond

• Forum Regular
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 01:48:53 pm »
+7
It's been super long since I posted in this but I thought it'll be nice to say that I got accepted into my first preference, Bachelor of Arts in University of Melbourne!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 02:29:06 pm »
+1
It's been super long since I posted in this but I thought it'll be nice to say that I got accepted into my first preference, Bachelor of Arts in University of Melbourne!
This is great news, congratulations!!! ^-^

What do you intend on taking for your first year?! ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2019, 02:41:28 pm »

Congratulations - really, really happy for you. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.