Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 09:26:16 pm

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 84072 times)  Share 

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2017, 09:45:03 pm »
+1
Hi Guys! I'm learning these pieces right now and I'm not sure whether they will potentially be Band 6 quality pieces...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMMycSccobc - Btw, im struggling with the rhythm and on the verge to giving up learning this piece.  >:( :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKjUDHghgjw - Dreading the hanon exercises to help with this piece and also, the metronome  :-[ :-[ :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HtJHxosWg - Learning just the notes/rhythm for now...
And now that Jamon's answered the main question, here are my tips for practicing these pieces.

Piece 1: Evidently there's a lot of dotted notes, and it can be hard matching up the semiquavers and quavers properly between the hands. You just need to force yourself to practice SLOWLY. Try using a metronome AND counting the beats: 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and-...
Even in 8th grade with AMEB (and aspiring to do AMus) I still use the counting technique. It works miracles.

Also, every now and then there may be a need to revert back to separate hands here.

The piece is repetitive like Jamon said, however in all honesty way too many pieces are repetitive anyhow. A possible explanation is that this piece may??? be in rondo form or something similar, where one section gets repeated multiple times. Despite the fact that the section gets repeated, try to contrast between your choice of dynamics when you perform it the first, second time and so on...

Remember: COUNT THE BEATS.

I don't have the music in front of me to comment too much though.

Piece 2: As Jamon pointed out, this piece is not to the same technical level. If you want to pull off something like this, dynamics are a must.

A word on dynamics: Look for patterns. If you see a scale/arpeggio pattern then consider ascending-crescendo descending-diminuendo. If you see a chords pattern or something, decide if there should or should not be accents based on what proceeds the chords. The trill pattern around 54 seconds is repeated about 4 times, and that's something I'd definitely insert a diminuendo in, rather than bluntly repeat.
Don't forget, as a rule of thumb the voice with the least notes is usually the melody. The more the notes, the more it tends to being accompaniment and thus should be played at a relatively softer volume (with a bare-slight exception of the highly contrapuntal music of the Baroque period). Notice how in that one, the melody is more in the left hand for the first 16 seconds, and then shifts to the right hand.

Hanon exercises are really just "more useful things than scales" the way I see it. Hanon exercises allow you to practice patterns that you'd normally ignore. So treat them as though they were scales. At the start, play it at a moderate speed so that your fingers adjust to the new pattern. Then, gradually speed up until you reach about 15 bpm above your piece's performance speed. If you practice a piece faster, and then play it at the performance speed in the exam (slower than your practice), you will feel like "oh this is easy" and stress less.

Once you excel at the Hanon exercise, play it about twice a day. That's plenty if you ask me.

Never put your metronome too high if you can't handle it.

Piece 3: I played a piece by Chopin, and the left hand has the same sort of thing going on. Bass note, chord, bass note, chord. At the start, you want to take this REALLY slowly so that your hands don't jump onto the wrong notes later on.

Separate hand practice is highly advised. Keep an eye out on phrasing and where the slurs are.

ajajaj

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 09:56:40 pm »
Would it help if I uploaded my composition(s) and scores for you to see the standard for? I don't know the marks for these directly, but I got 95 in Music 1, which means they have to be Band 6 quality (no way I got full marks in my other sections to compensate, lol ;))

That would be excellent, thanks Jamon and waterdancer! I'm also really curious to know how it sounded and what program you used. If it's possible can you please upload your composition process diary???

waterdancer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:00 pm »
Bloody gorgeous!! I love it water dancer! Seriously, seriously good stuff ;D

Take my points with a grain of salt; you are composing for Music 2 (I'm guessing?), which means you likely possess far greater musical knowledge than I ;) I also can't provide much guidance on the performance direction for piano, on my knowledge the score looks well notated!!

- On the whole, really enjoyable piece to listen to - Loved it and some really great melodic and harmonic ideas
- I'd maybe like to see a bit of unity a tad more obvious throughout - Perhaps the more obvious repetition of some melodic phrases. I'd love for those accented quavers in Bar 7 to appear again, for example, those appearing in the middle of all the faster passages was really enjoyable to listen to.
- I think you could do a little more with dynamics (though actually, now I think, this is the Sibelius MIDI audio of the score? It should be better when you perform it live, perhaps even throw a bit more rubato in there for some expression)

Yeah, not much I can say - I really enjoyed this and really keen to see where it goes from here!!

Edit: I'm going to ask one of our moderators Rui to check this out, he's a pianist, reckon he'd give better feedback than I ;) )

Hi Jamon,
Thanks so much for the feedback, it's really helpful! It's a no to the Music 2 I'm afraid. I enjoy composition but really lacked the theory skills to do well in Music 2. Music 1 all the way!  :)

In regards to the unity, I was intending perhaps to repeat some of the melodic lines as the piece progresses, but since it's still a work in progress it's hard to say really. I tend to be all over the place when I compose, and once I have a piece that s on it's way to having real substance then I tend to really look deeply into it to get those little repeated motifs and such. But will definitely take it on board and try some combinations out!

Yes, the dynamics! I tried to add in the markings on Sibelius, but for some reason they didn't come out as pronounced as I hoped they would. Might just be something I'm doing wrong with the program, but absolutely I will look further into it. Thank you again for the kind words, it's always wonderful getting feedback  ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 10:26:13 pm »
Hi Jamon,
Thanks so much for the feedback, it's really helpful! It's a no to the Music 2 I'm afraid. I enjoy composition but really lacked the theory skills to do well in Music 2. Music 1 all the way!  :)

In regards to the unity, I was intending perhaps to repeat some of the melodic lines as the piece progresses, but since it's still a work in progress it's hard to say really. I tend to be all over the place when I compose, and once I have a piece that s on it's way to having real substance then I tend to really look deeply into it to get those little repeated motifs and such. But will definitely take it on board and try some combinations out!

Yes, the dynamics! I tried to add in the markings on Sibelius, but for some reason they didn't come out as pronounced as I hoped they would. Might just be something I'm doing wrong with the program, but absolutely I will look further into it. Thank you again for the kind words, it's always wonderful getting feedback  ;D

Oh right Music 1! I purely assumed Music 2 because you talked about it a bit above, and the composition in its current form only being a minute long - Jumped to a conclusion, sorry! As a complement to you, I'd easily buy that as a Music 2 composition - It is really brilliant! :)

Definitely keen to see it develop - I am sure the unity and direction will become a little clearer as the piece progresses :)

Sibelius MIDI will NEVER get the dynamics you want. Like, the virtual instruments are world class, but the dynamic range is just not there. To get it you need to literally mark fortississimo - Which isn't something you should do at all unless you literally want the performer to kill their instrument ;)

Your best bet is to perform it live, or if you can't yourself (totally understandable, I couldn't play all the parts of my guitar quartet composition to my satisfaction), find someone who can. As a backup, take the MP3 of the audio file, pop it in to Garageband or similar, and add some volume swells manually (be careful to do this well, it can sound really unnatural really quickly) :)

Happy to give feedback!! I really like this piece, super keen to see it progress ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »
That would be excellent, thanks Jamon and waterdancer! I'm also really curious to know how it sounded and what program you used. If it's possible can you please upload your composition process diary???

Happy to! I'll try and find the files, I know I have the audio but the scores could have been lost  :-[  I'll try and find the composition process diary too, but I think it is way too big to upload everything (~100 pages, don't feel like scanning that in to a PDF, aha!)

I used Sibelius for my composition - As to how it sounded, I guess you'll see when I upload! ;D

waterdancer

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 10:35:56 pm »
Here are the things that come to mind when I listen and study this composition.

As I progress:
- The trill in the opening seems effective at evoking some kind of suspense, and it resolves down. Complements the arpeggio melody in the bass line well.
- Followed by a whole sequence of arpeggios. An idea of what the piece will be like is developed.
- LOVE the contrary motion in bar 3
- In bar 3, the second set of semiquavers involves LOTS of ledger lines. Looks very exaggerated. Maybe try replacing with an ottava
- Chords chosen in bar 7 are effective in continuing the melody line, however this may just be me (and for all I know, a better pianist will tackle it) but
I feel I must look at it again. The melody line is more legato and I'm not sure if the transition of the chords will be smooth.
- A resolve doesn't seem to occur at the key change, but rather in the middle of bar 17. Fascinating. But it seems to just keep continuing.
- The key change brings out a new character. This is good.
- A resolve comes in at bar 24, although it feels early. Here's one important thing: I begin to feel that the piece is lacking direction. After this bar, I feel like I've basically been walking around in a circle. The melody line is beautiful but it becomes difficult to shape a story out of it, because the only really unexpected effect happened in bar 17.
- Once again, the key change brings out a new character. As I hoped for. But of course, this section is to be continued and thus I won't comment too much on it.

Praises:
- Very pleasing melody. I can imagine it as both calming and soothing (which, was probably the intended), but also suspenseful at the same time.
- Wide range of keys hit. "Simple" things like arpeggios and contrary motion well synthesised.
- The key changes over to the key of the dominant (of the original keynote) with added effect.
- Several characters observed.
- 2 against 3 was well used in my opinion
- Trills and ornaments fill in some otherwise blank spaces

Critiques:
- As mentioned above: lacks direction. The melody doesn't seem to portray something (or possibly just not yet)
- Could do with more cadences; need some more effective resolutions every now and then (hopefully this is to come). Even an interrupted cadence if you're good enough to incorporate one in the middle of the piece.
- Jamon and I both thought about this - calm down a bit. There's beauty in simplicity every now and then; there's no need to make it so continuous unless your goal is to compose a study (which even then it should be calmer).
- The new character introduced in the key change to C# minor (unless that was E major...) presented a much slower pace. I would like to see more of these tempo changes.

Questions:
- What period of music are you aiming to reflect?
- Is this piece going to follow some form?
- Which composers influenced you to produce this work?

Overall: This piece is promising. I can see good results coming out of it. But sometimes it may help to take a piece easier rather than focus on the fanciness. Very nice job. :)

Hi Rui,

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my piece. All feedback is good feedback, I'm always eager to see ways I can improve what I compose.
I have to admit I was very frustrated when I started writing the piece. I had finished writing a big orchestral film score only to be informed that the teacher had changed the topics were were studying and I could no longer use it for HSC. That could account for the full-on nature of the composition, I wasn't in the best of moods I'm afraid. Didn't have an aim as such when I began composing, hence the lack of direction, but I think once half yearlies are over and I have some more time up my sleeve I will definitely give the piece a pretty big overhaul. I think I still want to keep a lot of the more dramatic elements for flair, but will add some calmer sections to break it up. I don't think I would be able to maintain such a high level of energy throughout the piece for much longer anyway.

I can't say I'm entirely sure what a cadence is or how I might incorporate more sorry. Here comes my lack of musical theory knowledge haha. As to your questions, I'm afraid I can't answer them very well. I'm not sure which period I am really writing for. I'd say mostly if has elements of Romantic, yet it doesn't entirely fit into it completely. I'll try and get a clearer idea of a form to structure the piece to, and organise my rather haphazard outpouring of frustration. When I was writing it I wasn't trying to follow any specific ABACA form or anything like that, it was just whatever came to my head that sounded semi-decentish.

I spent many years playing Classical and Romantic piano, so I suppose any one of those composers could have influenced me. Chopin and Liszt have always fascinated me with their complexity and elegance within their pieces, so if it was anyone it would have been those two mainly. Yet I also listen to a lot of jazz piano, lots of insane virtuosic performances. Guess I was trying a little too hard to emulate their awesomeness.

But seriously, thank you so much for the feedback. No one else I showed this to could really offer me anything since they don't play piano themselves. I shall endeavour to put all of your comments to good use and try to tame this composition somewhat. Guess I should really learn the rules of music first before I try and break them, hey?  :P

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 10:38:04 pm »
I have to admit I was very frustrated when I started writing the piece. I had finished writing a big orchestral film score only to be informed that the teacher had changed the topics were were studying and I could no longer use it for HSC.

What bullshit!

Sorry, excuse the French, but that hits home hard, because that was one of my compositions too. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it would be to have it taken away  >:(

waterdancer

• Adventurer
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 10:46:42 pm »
Oh right Music 1! I purely assumed Music 2 because you talked about it a bit above, and the composition in its current form only being a minute long - Jumped to a conclusion, sorry! As a complement to you, I'd easily buy that as a Music 2 composition - It is really brilliant! :)

Definitely keen to see it develop - I am sure the unity and direction will become a little clearer as the piece progresses :)

Sibelius MIDI will NEVER get the dynamics you want. Like, the virtual instruments are world class, but the dynamic range is just not there. To get it you need to literally mark fortississimo - Which isn't something you should do at all unless you literally want the performer to kill their instrument ;)

Your best bet is to perform it live, or if you can't yourself (totally understandable, I couldn't play all the parts of my guitar quartet composition to my satisfaction), find someone who can. As a backup, take the MP3 of the audio file, pop it in to Garageband or similar, and add some volume swells manually (be careful to do this well, it can sound really unnatural really quickly) :)

Happy to give feedback!! I really like this piece, super keen to see it progress ;D

Yes, it was a definite struggle choosing between Music 1 and Music 2. Put a lot of research into it, bombarding teachers and past students with millions of questions, so I gained a fairly decent understanding of both courses. But when you are faced with the prospect of being the only one in the class who has not been doing musical theory since they were 4, as well as the only one who did not do AMEB grades of any form, it was just too daunting to consider.

Not sure if I'd be able to play some of the sections of the piece, plus I am an awful performer. If there was an option to not have to do a performance you can be sure I'd be the first to take it up! There is one really good piano teacher at the school, might ask his opinion to see if he might be able to play it. If not, I have a few friends that have used Sibelius for longer than I have, so I will get their advice on how to improve the sound. Might just have to export the audio with dynamics set to fff and then change it on the score to submit back to actually manageable dynamics. Will have a play around with Garage Band though, haven't done much work with it but will see how I go! Thank you again  :D

waterdancer

• Adventurer
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2017, 10:50:26 pm »
What bullshit!

Sorry, excuse the French, but that hits home hard, because that was one of my compositions too. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it would be to have it taken away  >:(

It was a pretty big punch in the gut. 21 instruments, four minutes long. Not to mention the many, many pages I did of the reflection journal. But what can you do? It's a good thing I love composing, so was able to do another piece, but still it hurts to have that much effort put in for nothing

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:43 pm »
Yes, it was a definite struggle choosing between Music 1 and Music 2. Put a lot of research into it, bombarding teachers and past students with millions of questions, so I gained a fairly decent understanding of both courses. But when you are faced with the prospect of being the only one in the class who has not been doing musical theory since they were 4, as well as the only one who did not do AMEB grades of any form, it was just too daunting to consider.

Not sure if I'd be able to play some of the sections of the piece, plus I am an awful performer. If there was an option to not have to do a performance you can be sure I'd be the first to take it up! There is one really good piano teacher at the school, might ask his opinion to see if he might be able to play it. If not, I have a few friends that have used Sibelius for longer than I have, so I will get their advice on how to improve the sound. Might just have to export the audio with dynamics set to fff and then change it on the score to submit back to actually manageable dynamics. Will have a play around with Garage Band though, haven't done much work with it but will see how I go! Thank you again  :D

We sound like peas in a pod - My school doesn't normally offer Music 2 but it was offered to me specifically (I seriously impressed with a composition in Year 11 and had always smashed the theory), but just didn't think that it would be a smart choice. I had the theory knowledge, but I was still a relatively raw musician (having played only a few years), and the styles of music you had to study in Music 2 didn't really suit my interests :) most guitarists don't really do Music 2, but hey, I did a film score anyway ;)

I don't hate performance, but definitely prefer other options! It's why I did only composition and Viva for electives. Yep, just explore your options, I'm sure you'll figure it out! :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2017, 11:02:34 pm »
Hi Rui,

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my piece. All feedback is good feedback, I'm always eager to see ways I can improve what I compose.
I have to admit I was very frustrated when I started writing the piece. I had finished writing a big orchestral film score only to be informed that the teacher had changed the topics were were studying and I could no longer use it for HSC. That could account for the full-on nature of the composition, I wasn't in the best of moods I'm afraid. Didn't have an aim as such when I began composing, hence the lack of direction, but I think once half yearlies are over and I have some more time up my sleeve I will definitely give the piece a pretty big overhaul. I think I still want to keep a lot of the more dramatic elements for flair, but will add some calmer sections to break it up. I don't think I would be able to maintain such a high level of energy throughout the piece for much longer anyway.

I can't say I'm entirely sure what a cadence is or how I might incorporate more sorry. Here comes my lack of musical theory knowledge haha. As to your questions, I'm afraid I can't answer them very well. I'm not sure which period I am really writing for. I'd say mostly if has elements of Romantic, yet it doesn't entirely fit into it completely. I'll try and get a clearer idea of a form to structure the piece to, and organise my rather haphazard outpouring of frustration. When I was writing it I wasn't trying to follow any specific ABACA form or anything like that, it was just whatever came to my head that sounded semi-decentish.

I spent many years playing Classical and Romantic piano, so I suppose any one of those composers could have influenced me. Chopin and Liszt have always fascinated me with their complexity and elegance within their pieces, so if it was anyone it would have been those two mainly. Yet I also listen to a lot of jazz piano, lots of insane virtuosic performances. Guess I was trying a little too hard to emulate their awesomeness.

But seriously, thank you so much for the feedback. No one else I showed this to could really offer me anything since they don't play piano themselves. I shall endeavour to put all of your comments to good use and try to tame this composition somewhat. Guess I should really learn the rules of music first before I try and break them, hey?  :P
Music is more effective than even books and artworks at conveying one's feelings if you ask me. I'd say your reasoning for the full-on nature of the composition (thus far) was well justified. Compositions can mean a ton.

I agree that some of the dramatic elements must stay. The drama actually develops new characters very effectively, and each tell a story in their own. So the idea is to create some more calmness to contrast between the calmness now. Also, much like creatives in English, try to tell a story as you're composing. Music is subject to thousands of interpretation so think of a generic story line, and put down notes (and dynamics and etc. ) that you feel best complement what is on your mind.

So I will get you started on a cadence. You should be at the very least familiar when I start talking about scale degrees (e.g. V - the dominant, I - the tonic etc.). From your past experience of piano, you'd definitely know what a chord is. A cadence is a two-chord progression, usually designed specifically for the purpose of resolving. There are 4 principal cadences, the big one being the perfect cadence (V-I, i.e. chord 5 to chord 1) which has the most grand and complete feeling. (Which is why you should only use a perfect cadence at the very end of a section or the piece.)

When writing cadences involving the leading note (VII), your leading note should always resolve up to the tonic. Try playing just G-B-C on the piano; it will have that good feeling of completion (albeit no fanciness because you're hitting just notes and not chords).

There are tons of chord progressions. I'm learning them now in Grade 4 theory and, in all honesty, finding it really hard to keep up with all of them (we have to do harmony writing). Explore many possibilities out there. (This means that you should note that the 4 principal cadences are not the ONLY chord progressions.)

Word of advice on the other 4 principal:
- Plagal (IV - I or iv - i) - This cadence resolves down. Think carefully about if it's what you want. It's usually referred to as the 'Amen' cadence though.
- Imperfect (anything - V) - This cadence sounds incomplete. Useful for ending a phrase but you have plans to continue it soon.
- Interrupted (V - vi) - Compare this to a perfect cadence. It will sound very strange, even off. Because it resolves from the chord of a major key, to that of a minor key. This is basically put in the middle of a section/piece.

Recommended: YouTube some cadences to listen to them.

Elements of classical music and romanticism are definitely present and make sense to me. There are many quaver/semiquaver patterns being executed here and the homophonic nature of classical music is present, but the thorough usage of the pedal installs a romantic feel. You will have called upon many experiences to build up to something like this.

That being said, as you pointed out it's definitely leaning towards the Romantic Period. Romantic period composers really wanted to put emotion into their pieces. Explore change in dynamics and definitely rubato here and there. Whilst this potentially implies slowing down more than speeding up, well executed speed up (piu moto, accelerando, ...) could make the piece more interesting. (Tension!)

Also, consider things like chromaticism every now and then (recall your chromatic scales - going up/down by semitones). If you want to lean towards the Romantic period, there's no need to make your major/minor key sharply defined (no pun intended with 'sharp').

Very quickly, ABACA is characteristic of what we know as the "Rondo form". The "form" of your composition is basically the overarching structure of your composition. When people are using these forms, they try to insert subtle changes in how section A gets repeated so it doesn't become mundane. Ornaments may appear out of nowhere, and some chord progressions may unexpectedly turn into a scale pattern. Just as examples.

Finally, being influenced by a variety of composers of all periods is a good thing if you ask me. That's the good about living in the 21st century. Whilst the Baroque composers probably established almost every foundation we need, we choose what we want to make our compositions. The important thing to maintain is the flow of your music. Of course, unexpectedness is praised in music, but it shouldn't be so unexpected that what your doing becomes out of place and questionable. If the flow of the music can be maintained then you should still be able to produce a beautiful composition.

Also, one last tip - Explore the use of rests and the occasional use of fermata!

Good luck with this work! Look forward to hearing a newer version if that time comes. :)

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2017, 04:24:19 pm »
And now that Jamon's answered the main question, here are my tips for practicing these pieces.

Piece 1: Evidently there's a lot of dotted notes, and it can be hard matching up the semiquavers and quavers properly between the hands. You just need to force yourself to practice SLOWLY. Try using a metronome AND counting the beats: 1-and-2-and-3-and-4-and-...
Even in 8th grade with AMEB (and aspiring to do AMus) I still use the counting technique. It works miracles.

Also, every now and then there may be a need to revert back to separate hands here.

The piece is repetitive like Jamon said, however in all honesty way too many pieces are repetitive anyhow. A possible explanation is that this piece may??? be in rondo form or something similar, where one section gets repeated multiple times. Despite the fact that the section gets repeated, try to contrast between your choice of dynamics when you perform it the first, second time and so on...

Remember: COUNT THE BEATS.

I don't have the music in front of me to comment too much though.

Piece 2: As Jamon pointed out, this piece is not to the same technical level. If you want to pull off something like this, dynamics are a must.

A word on dynamics: Look for patterns. If you see a scale/arpeggio pattern then consider ascending-crescendo descending-diminuendo. If you see a chords pattern or something, decide if there should or should not be accents based on what proceeds the chords. The trill pattern around 54 seconds is repeated about 4 times, and that's something I'd definitely insert a diminuendo in, rather than bluntly repeat.
Don't forget, as a rule of thumb the voice with the least notes is usually the melody. The more the notes, the more it tends to being accompaniment and thus should be played at a relatively softer volume (with a bare-slight exception of the highly contrapuntal music of the Baroque period). Notice how in that one, the melody is more in the left hand for the first 16 seconds, and then shifts to the right hand.

Hanon exercises are really just "more useful things than scales" the way I see it. Hanon exercises allow you to practice patterns that you'd normally ignore. So treat them as though they were scales. At the start, play it at a moderate speed so that your fingers adjust to the new pattern. Then, gradually speed up until you reach about 15 bpm above your piece's performance speed. If you practice a piece faster, and then play it at the performance speed in the exam (slower than your practice), you will feel like "oh this is easy" and stress less.

Once you excel at the Hanon exercise, play it about twice a day. That's plenty if you ask me.

Never put your metronome too high if you can't handle it.

Piece 3: I played a piece by Chopin, and the left hand has the same sort of thing going on. Bass note, chord, bass note, chord. At the start, you want to take this REALLY slowly so that your hands don't jump onto the wrong notes later on.

Separate hand practice is highly advised. Keep an eye out on phrasing and where the slurs are.

WOW! :O That's alot to absorb in hahah thank youu so much for the huge advice RuiAce! I must say that it was more useful than my teachers at school... they don't really pay any attention to us piano students :/
definitely would consider every point you have stated.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
I've started learning Rachmanioff's Prelude in C# minor... lol just like the first page separate hands.

Is it a good piece ? Over played???
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2017, 01:58:39 am »
I see I see! I assume you're an examiner? Haha, thanks for the insight to what they think :P

Unfortunately I'm not advanced :(( I've only being playing since Year 8 lol (I did play piano for a year when I was 10 but I stopped cause my piano broke...)

I was working on Passacaille by Handel but my teacher said it was too easy and didn't really showcase my musicality and technicality - I guess I'm more into the period of romanticism.

My pieces so far are:
- Bethena - Scott Joplin (kinda of an unconventional Rag piece)
- Chopin - Valse Op. 69 No. 1
- Chopin - Nocturne Op. 20 (Risky! I know!! My friend is already doing it. But I just adore this piece! I literally pour my soul into every note. It's so sad )
- ???? Rach - Prelude C# Minor??????. (THE CHORDS ARE WOW! Just spent 2 hours practicing and damn.... Hahha. )

2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2017, 11:10:06 am »

No, definitely not an examiner haha (read my sig if you don't believe me! :P)

As for the program, if you're happy with them I wouldn't change it. But personally, I'd put in a Mozart and a Bach with the argument that they are both important keyboard composers with music that can show the examiner that you can play a range of different styles. With as much sincerity and best interest I can muster, I think your program is too narrow in scope - or too romantic-oriented: the pieces are too similar for an examined EOY performance that can really showcase your varied musicianship. It's great for playing at a performance venue and such, but there needs to be variety. That said, you seem quite content with them anyway. If you love them just keep at it and I'm sure you'll be fine! :) But just keep in mind with what I've said.

Definitely ! :) I may consider a baroque period piece... they aren't my favourite but I'll see what will suit me! Thanks for tips!!!
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92