Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:50:53 am

Author Topic: Ask Monash University  (Read 336436 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Ask Monash University
« Reply #1080 on: August 12, 2019, 04:06:52 pm »
+3
Hi current Y12 student here, not sure if this is the right place to ask but I was wondering what are the tangible differences between a regular Biomedical Science and Biomed scholars degree? I know the scholars has a higher atar cutoff and the opportunity for scholarships, but I'm trying to decide whether it's worth applying for both or whether it would be fine just applying for regular biomed only.
Thanks
Following on from what MT has said I think the differences are the following
- More networking opportunities that are set up by Monash
- More "extracurriculars" although they are still biomed related
- more friendship opportunities since you will be having heaps of events with other scholars sudents
- 15k scholarship
- I think the prerequisites are different too you need 35+ in chemistry and 35+ in methods or spec or physics (they brought down both of these scores form 40+ required in previous years).

EDIT: also you can do a research unit in 2nd or 3rd year ( I think most people leave it for 3rd year 2nd sem)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 04:30:19 pm by Sine »

lyristis

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1081 on: August 24, 2019, 04:21:48 pm »
If I'm doing a 4 year degree + a DipLang, I would finish in 5 years.
Is it possible to take the 4 Chinese units relevant to me, that are offered as a Summer unit(ATS2003, ATS2004, ATS3005 and ATS3006), as Summer units over sequential Summer A periods and effectively reduce the course completion time to 4 years again?

geek123456

« Reply #1082 on: October 02, 2019, 06:19:51 pm »
hi
I just had a couple of questions please
1.Monash biomed discovery scholarship: can you still get this scholarship even if you don't get a 98 atar but manage to get into the scholars programme through seas
2.Does everyone who
has experienced financial disadvantage
 get the Monash Guarantee or is there a minimum threshold of financial disadvantage you need to have e.g person A gets more Centrelink benefits for the same category or multiple categories than b so only A gets the guarantee and not b

cheers
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:40:03 pm by geek123456 »

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #1083 on: October 02, 2019, 07:31:07 pm »
+4
If I'm doing a 4 year degree + a DipLang, I would finish in 5 years.
Is it possible to take the 4 Chinese units relevant to me, that are offered as a Summer unit(ATS2003, ATS2004, ATS3005 and ATS3006), as Summer units over sequential Summer A periods and effectively reduce the course completion time to 4 years again?

According to this list, it looks like these units are held overseas and not in Victoria, if you want to do them in the summer semester. I suppose if you’re willing to do them abroad, it might work. Would probably contact and ask Monash Connect if you’re not a uni student, or visit the Arts Faculty Student Services, if you’re a Monash student.

For the Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine, what was the interview/place offer ratio last year for non-rural direct entry Year 12 applicants?
I did find this, which states that just under 1000 people are interviewed (total) and there are just over 200 spots total, with the majority (approx. 185 people for non-rural direct entry for first year med in 2018) being non-rural direct entry. (These last two stats I got elsewhere.) Thus, the ratio is around 1 in 5, if these stats are accurate.

hi
I just had a couple of questions please
1.Monash biomed discovery scholarship: can you still get this scholarship even if you don't get a 98 atar but manage to get into the scholars programme through seas
2.Does everyone who
has experienced financial disadvantage get the Monash Guarantee or is there a minimum threshold of financial disadvantage you need to have e.g person A gets more Centrelink benefits for the same category or multiple categoriesthan b so only A gets the guarantee and not b

cheers
1. Not too sure. Usually scholarships tend to be a bit more strict, so I assume it’s be a raw ATAR of 98 only (i.e. SEAS excluded), but someone else who knows more can clarify this. My assumption might be wrong.
2. Most people who get any form of Centrelink benefits and/or has experienced financial disadvantage will be eligible for the Monash Guarantee, although I don’t know if all of them will necessarily receive it. I also don’t know if there is a threshold, although usually if you’re financially eligible for Centrelink (and you have proof of such), then you’ll receive the Monash Guarantee.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:53:50 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

YussifK

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1084 on: October 04, 2019, 08:46:16 am »
Hello....... just one simple question.... is the Monash ATAR calculator accurate.

Thank you in advance
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

YussifK

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1085 on: October 04, 2019, 12:03:16 pm »
Not at Monash, but there's no way it can be 100% accurate, given the scaling will depend on your cohort (presumably for this year or some other time in the future). FWIW, I tried putting my 2016/2015 results in and got exactly 1 percent lower (I got mid 98, it gave me mid 97). Just use it as a rough guide and spend the rest of your study time productively :)

I feel quite relieved knowing it can still be used to see how I’m performing... and congrats on the that amazing atar... I’ll bee so happy if I achieve such scores... my weakness is not knowing how to prepare for a sac... as in what’s important  to come on a sac. I hope this made sense... I have (speech problems and it’s sometimes hard to express the way I feel)

Thank you in Advance
English:( )
Methods( )
Biology ( )
P.E ( )
Lab skills( )

geek123456

« Reply #1086 on: October 05, 2019, 02:55:13 pm »
I was wondering how much time you had to accept your Monash course offer during jan rounds please ..do the offers lapse in a day or do we have more time
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 04:37:19 pm by geek123456 »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1087 on: October 05, 2019, 03:49:29 pm »
+1
I was wondering how much time you had to accept your Monash course offer during jan rounds please as I am flying on the day the offers are released...do the offers lapse in a day or do we have more time
if I enrol a day later will I be at a disadvantage in terms of time tables or are the timetable windows opening later on

hopefully I can make it into the course  :o
thanks for all the help

Enrolling a day late won't disadvantage your timetable.  I can't remember exactly when timetable preferences open in Allocste but it's much closer to the start of the new academic year. 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1088 on: October 05, 2019, 04:50:32 pm »
+3
I was wondering how much time you had to accept your Monash course offer during jan rounds please as I am flying on the day the offers are released...do the offers lapse in a day or do we have more time
if I enrol a day later will I be at a disadvantage in terms of time tables or are the timetable windows opening later on

hopefully I can make it into the course  :o
thanks for all the help
It used to be about a week or a fortnight (I forget which) that the unis give you to accept or reject your offer. Given that there’s a December round starting this year for selected courses, I’m going to play it safe and say it’s more likely to be a week to accept/ reject your offers this year.

You also accept, reject and enrol mostly online, with exceptions only for those who encounter issues or have extra documentation/ requirements e.g. police check, that might need to providing and completion. So, as long as you have a stable internet connection overseas, you probably could just do it overseas. However, if you do have issues, then accepting and enrolling may become a bit more annoying if you’re overseas. (Acceptance at a Monash usually hinges on enrolment and this requires a few official documents which you’d probably have at home.)

Timetable preferences don’t close until late January for Semester 1 and the timetables themselves aren’t fully locked until about 3-4 weeks into Semester 1, so you wouldn’t be affected.
VTAC Info Thread

geek123456

« Reply #1089 on: October 19, 2019, 03:10:09 pm »
hi,
I was wondering if you could transfer out of Biomed Scholars into "normal"biomed in your third year ?
Is it competitive to do so ?

mK002

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1090 on: November 08, 2019, 07:01:34 pm »
Hello Atar Notes,

I was wondering whether it is possible to have the Monash Community Leaders Scholarship ($4000 for one year) and the Vice Chancellors Scholarship for Excellence at the same time ($6000 for duration of degree)? I would really appreciate if someone could give me a definite answer or if you know of anyone holding both of these scholarships.

Thanks in advance  :) :) :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #1091 on: November 08, 2019, 08:52:43 pm »
+2
Hello Atar Notes,

I was wondering whether it is possible to have the Monash Community Leaders Scholarship ($4000 for one year) and the Vice Chancellors Scholarship for Excellence at the same time ($6000 for duration of degree)? I would really appreciate if someone could give me a definite answer or if you know of anyone holding both of these scholarships.

Thanks in advance  :) :) :)
As per here and here, you may have both simultaneously if the two scholarships are one merit and one equity scholarship, but unfortunately I can't seem to determine whether they're classified as merit and/or equity. I'd probably contact Access Monash, Monash Connect or the Coursework Scholarships Unit to get a more concrete answer. My guess is that the Community Leaders Scholarship is equity and the Vice Chancellor's is more merit, but possibly merity-equity. As I said, I'm not sure.     
VTAC Info Thread

Peas

• Adventurer
« Reply #1092 on: November 25, 2019, 05:55:20 pm »
For the Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship for Excellence, is financial disadvantage sufficient or do we require an additional disadvantage?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1093 on: November 25, 2019, 08:53:41 pm »
For the Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship for Excellence, is financial disadvantage sufficient or do we require an additional disadvantage?

Based on this I believe so :)

P.S. nice PvZ profile

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
« Reply #1094 on: November 27, 2019, 08:47:50 pm »
Hi, I'm doing a health science degree, so I was wondering is it better to have a double minor or just a single major?
Thanks