Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 04:13:45 pm

Author Topic: Subject Selection  (Read 611 times)  Share 

noregret

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: somewhere
  • School Grad Year: 2018
Subject Selection
« on: August 08, 2017, 09:07:49 pm »
Hello, I want to choose between Spesh and University Music.
I am in Tasmania, but due to the similarities betweeen TASC and VCE, I posted mine on this thread.
University Music requires grade 6 theory AMEB and Grade 6 piano AMEB. I think I am above Grade 6. I have not learned any music theory in my entire life and my piano teacher said I have to play at least 2-3 hours a day to get a High Distinction. ( The songs that I am playing are 'Autumn' by Tchaikovsky, 'Ocean Etude' by Chopin
and 'Apprisiantan Sonata' by Beethoven. I only have finished Autumn).
How much should I study for Grade 6 theory to get good marks in it If I do not know anything at all?
How much should I study should you study for Spesh, given that I am a just average student?

Sconey

• Trendsetter
  • 'Any fool can know. The point is to understand.'
  • Respect: +52
Re: Subject Selection
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:07:21 pm »
+1
I am in Tasmania, but due to the similarities betweeen TASC and VCE, I posted mine on this thread.
University Music requires grade 6 theory AMEB and Grade 6 piano AMEB. I think I am above Grade 6. I have not learned any music theory in my entire life and my piano teacher said I have to play at least 2-3 hours a day to get a High Distinction. ( The songs that I am playing are 'Autumn' by Tchaikovsky, 'Ocean Etude' by Chopin
How much should I study for Grade 6 theory to get good marks in it If I do not know anything at all?
How much should I study should you study for Spesh, given that I am a just average student?
I can't really offer much in terms of an answer, but I think some extra information of what you want to do in the future (in uni/job) would help others. Also, what do you Want to do?

noregret

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: somewhere
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:10 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I want to go university and next year I will be doing Chemistry, Maths Method units 3 and 4 ,
English, Spesh or Utas Music.

I do not know what I want to do at uni though

AnnieL

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 04:38:22 pm »
+1

Hey there! So I thought maybe I'd just give you a few ideas about Spesh - I didn't do music so don't really know how to advise you in that, but I did do spesh last year. Honestly, Spesh is a bit tricky, but its definitely do-able! The concepts can be a bit hard, but once you understand them, it is definitely manageable! Also, I think that Spesh helps with methods - the concepts in spesh are quite a bit more complicated than methods, which means that once you understand the spesh stuff, methods becomes "easy" in relation to it (although I wouldn't take it for granted!). In terms of study for spesh, it really depends on whether you are understanding it or not - trying to get your head around the topic may take a bit of time, and then lots of practice is essential for doing well - i.e. lots of questions. However, I wouldn't say that spesh dominated my study during year 12 - I had time for other subjects, while still managing it, so in that sense, it's not too bad! Hope this helps a bit in your decision :)

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
+1
have not done any music in VCE, but I have done AMEB music theory.

I did up to grade 5 AMEB with a teacher. Personally I didn't find music theory too hard (found it easier than practical) but you still have to put in the effort (even though it's not that much). It does involve quite a bit of memorization, like memorizing terms (which a lot you should know cos you play music anyway), I remember back in my day we had to memorize short songs but I believe they changed the syllabus? not too sure...also I think in grades 4/5 they introduce like melody-writing and stuff, but there is a set of rules for that...there's also cadences/chords too but yeah, there are sort of "rules" for that but playing piano, you might know a thing or two about them? (e.g. perfect cadence V-I, plagal IV-I + imperfect and all that etc)...anyway I'm going on a ramble now soz
(right now I've forgotten about 90% of my theory though)

I did start grade 6 but I stopped cos it was pretty hard as my teacher stopped teaching. If you do not know anything at all about theory, idk how long it'd take to get up to grade 6, because it does get complex later on even though grades 1/2 are pretty easy, but seeing as you have musical experience a lot of it should be straightforward in the lower grades
good luck :)
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams