Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:39:08 am

Author Topic: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)  (Read 182224 times)

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +53
Re: VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)
« Reply #360 on: July 18, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
+1
How has everybody found the transition back into school? :)

Wish it was easier, all my classes were straight back into it, I have 2 SACS and 2 tests this week :(
Just feeling tired atm! It's the mid-year slump, I guess, and hearing all the bad stuff about Term 3 is making me more stressed hahah! God let's hope it's not as bad as some 12's from last year who I saw crying 24/7
2016 - HHD (49)
2017 - Bio (41), Chem, Italian, English (43), Methods

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #361 on: July 18, 2017, 07:58:13 pm »
+1
How has everybody found the transition back into school? :)

It's been quite a smooth transition back. But I'm just feeling SO preoccupied with Lit and English at the moment :(  I'm not sure if this is normal. The biggest struggle is managing my time. How's everyone else going with balance?
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #362 on: July 18, 2017, 08:17:06 pm »
+3
It's been quite a smooth transition back. But I'm just feeling SO preoccupied with Lit and English at the moment :(  I'm not sure if this is normal. The biggest struggle is managing my time. How's everyone else going with balance?

Hahahahahahahah, what's balance??? I spend way more time on some subjects than others (@you, chem), but it's actually worked out now, that the amount of study I do for each subject is good for each one, so like don't worry about doing the same amount of study for each subject, but rather doing what you need for each subject (no point studying 45 minutes for something you already understand and then 45 minutes on something you need more time for)
2016 - HHD (49)

Happy to help out with any HHD questions, and remember - there is life after VCE :)

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #363 on: July 18, 2017, 09:59:14 pm »
+2
Yeah? Are you feeling on top of things? :)

Yeah, my practice exam regime for maths has started well. English is fun at the moment. Organic chem is awesome. Latin is basically studying themes and literary techniques which is also awesome. Plus I don't have any SACs for 5 weeks, so I'm satisfied right now.
UAdel MBBS

Wota

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #364 on: July 18, 2017, 10:31:17 pm »
Yeah had to do a sac today and bombed it ://, was averaging in the 90s but this is gonna push me down to the 70s...

princessofpersia

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #365 on: July 20, 2017, 11:42:44 pm »
+2
Yeah had to do a sac today and bombed it ://, was averaging in the 90s but this is gonna push me down to the 70s...

I feel you fam, but don't lose hope yet because you know you're more capable than the expectant '70' and that should drive you more and more till the raging fire within you has no way to way lose flame but only burn more and more till your hunger is satiated and every paper you wrote it feels your intellectually superior wrath.

I'll be honest, I was not expecting to write all that but today I was just feeling so low and after reading your post I just felt even more depressed because I can definitely relate to you, and I wanted to change that- not just for me, but you too. Because I definately know i am way more capable than my current standards, for god's sake I pulled straight 90's from year 7-middle of year 11 and then year 12 comes (with an extra package of anxiety which my body has never felt) and all the walls of high standard habits and intellect has just clashed and there's no way of returning it back. And the fire in me is just so angry that I needed somewhere to just let out it's thoughts (I'm not weird, I promise), and your post was lucky enough to be my victim :)

🎶 I wish I can turn back time, to the good old dayss 🎶

Keep grinding and keep faith in your self. I believe you can do it because I know you can push your self to a point where every sweat will pay off with justice.

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #366 on: July 21, 2017, 11:49:08 am »
so someone hit my car at school the other day, with no note :((((
2016 - HHD (49)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #367 on: July 21, 2017, 11:58:56 am »
+1
so someone hit my car at school the other day, with no note :((((
Oh no! Can't believe people do stuff like that :( Is there a lot of damage?
Does your school have any security cameras or something around?

At my school, we had a carpark that was basically exclusively used by year 12s, so if your car got hit, you had a general idea of who it was :P

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #368 on: July 22, 2017, 12:18:08 pm »
+1
Oh no! Can't believe people do stuff like that :( Is there a lot of damage?
Does your school have any security cameras or something around?

At my school, we had a carpark that was basically exclusively used by year 12s, so if your car got hit, you had a general idea of who it was :P

Just a dint and some scratching, so annoying because the school doesn't have anything to prove it! Where I park is mostly year 12's though, so hope I find out eventually :(
2016 - HHD (49)

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #369 on: July 25, 2017, 09:53:34 pm »
+2
I'm thoroughly enjoying both texts and there are a lot of areas for comparison. Based on my preliminary reading of the texts, I think it's interesting to see how the differences in social structure affect each town's response to adversity. In Eyam, Puritanism is being phased out and a more open interpretation of religion allows the people to cope with the plague and sacrifice themselves to save the other towns. In Salem, strict Puritanism is the dominant religion and is the reason the witch trials. As I said before, I have only scratched the surface with these texts and already comparative interpretations seem to be abundant so I'm very excited to continue studying. I'm interested to hear what you think you as well.

Ahahaha this is how everyone feels after the brutality of term 2... and then you realise term 3 exists

Like yourself, I find that there are many areas to compare between the two texts; some more obvious than others but nonetheless still comparative. Personally I found the text Year of Wonders to be more enjoyable to read than The Crucible however I didn't like the ending of Year of Wonders, to me it felt very bizarre to just have it end like that. I agree with you that in Eyam religion is more open to interpretation than it is in The Crucible where there is a strict conformity to adhere to the church.

I feel you fam, but don't lose hope yet because you know you're more capable than the expectant '70' and that should drive you more and more till the raging fire within you has no way to way lose flame but only burn more and more till your hunger is satiated and every paper you wrote it feels your intellectually superior wrath.

I'll be honest, I was not expecting to write all that but today I was just feeling so low and after reading your post I just felt even more depressed because I can definitely relate to you, and I wanted to change that- not just for me, but you too. Because I definately know i am way more capable than my current standards, for god's sake I pulled straight 90's from year 7-middle of year 11 and then year 12 comes (with an extra package of anxiety which my body has never felt) and all the walls of high standard habits and intellect has just clashed and there's no way of returning it back. And the fire in me is just so angry that I needed somewhere to just let out it's thoughts (I'm not weird, I promise), and your post was lucky enough to be my victim :)

🎶 I wish I can turn back time, to the good old dayss 🎶

Keep grinding and keep faith in your self. I believe you can do it because I know you can push your self to a point where every sweat will pay off with justice.

Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots --> very fitting for year 12 XD

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #370 on: July 26, 2017, 06:20:12 am »
+1
Like yourself, I find that there are many areas to compare between the two texts; some more obvious than others but nonetheless still comparative. Personally I found the text Year of Wonders to be more enjoyable to read than The Crucible however I didn't like the ending of Year of Wonders, to me it felt very bizarre to just have it end like that. I agree with you that in Eyam religion is more open to interpretation than it is in The Crucible where there is a strict conformity to adhere to the church.

Yeah, year of wonders is a good read but the ending is questionable. I know my teacher and most of the people in my class despise it. But you can't really say anything about the quality of the texts in your essays.
UAdel MBBS

gemmaruffin

• Forum Regular
« Reply #371 on: July 26, 2017, 10:01:10 pm »
+3
Yeah, year of wonders is a good read but the ending is questionable. I know my teacher and most of the people in my class despise it. But you can't really say anything about the quality of the texts in your essays.

I'm doing these texts too, totally agree that the ending of YOW is very questionable! Don't know how I'd compare it to Crucible either...
2016 - HHD (49)

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #372 on: July 26, 2017, 11:18:22 pm »
+3

That's true.

I'm doing these texts too, totally agree that the ending of YOW is very questionable! Don't know how I'd compare it to Crucible either...

There are actually quite a lot of area to compare between the two texts. One which immediately comes to mind would be the interpretation of religion and how it shapes the society. Something which Quantum44 has mention in an earlier post.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #373 on: August 03, 2017, 10:09:17 pm »
+3
3/08/17

Term 3 is going so quickly already  :'(  Today I finished the Methods course and it just confirmed how imminent exams really are. Given that Methods is my weaker subject, I'll be glad to take my time with revision and fill in any knowledge gaps. I feel in control of both English and German at this point but am terrified for Literature. I've still got to learn about 12 more poems before the exam.

My main aim from now until exams is to prioritise skilfully and back myself more  :)

Hopefully everyone else is surviving term 3  ;D
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #374 on: August 04, 2017, 12:28:08 am »
+4
3/08/17

Term 3 is going so quickly already  :'(  Today I finished the Methods course and it just confirmed how imminent exams really are. Given that Methods is my weaker subject, I'll be glad to take my time with revision and fill in any knowledge gaps. I feel in control of both English and German at this point but am terrified for Literature. I've still got to learn about 12 more poems before the exam.

My main aim from now until exams is to prioritise skilfully and back myself more  :)

Hopefully everyone else is surviving term 3  ;D
YES. always back yourself!

You have so much time to smash out Methods papers if you've already finished the course!! Seriously. Just a few hours a week from now until exams is like, 50+ papers easy. (Hypothetically!)

And plenty of time to smash Lit too. Kill it!
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️