Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:32:25 am

Author Topic: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)  (Read 182228 times)

NAT0003

Re: VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2017, 08:51:13 pm »
English creative writing sac week 2 term 2. Lots of time, but should start preparing from today onwards to do well in it

TooLazy

• Trendsetter
  • 2014 Forest Hills Drive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2017, 08:59:32 pm »
+3
English creative writing sac week 2 term 2. Lots of time, but should start preparing from today onwards to do well in it

Man you're so switched on. In year 11 I slept through most classes hahaha
nah but srsly good on you mate, you'll do great next year. :P
Future engineer

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:19 pm »

- I just wrote my whole debate.. it's at 3 tomoz and we're against some really high ranked private school so I don't know what I'm supposed to feel like -_- I'm the only one on my team who has finished their speech hahah. My other team members actually 'start' making their debate half an hour b4 the actual debate cuz they can make everything up on the spot. (well, they think they do :P)

Which region are you in? I'm adjudicating tomorrow haha. Don't worry about the prestigious private school stuff, I once gave a debate to a considerably low SES public school over a selective school ( I went to a selective school myself). Unless you have an adj that automatically awards close debates to the elite private school just to appease them... The B grade topic has the potential to be fairly interesting (as long as you interpret it correctly)  :). Also most people write up their speech shortly before the debate ( as long as you roughly know what model, stance and arguments you are going to run, it will be fine. In uni we only get 15 minute to prep.).
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2017, 09:17:20 pm »
Fml. So few weeks ago i did my fitner sac which was much harder than the content and it was harder than checkpoints whicg are past vcaa exam papers is also what evreyone was saying. I got 67.5% for it. That's shit comsidering i do methods and even though it was much harder. But its all g. I can still get 40+ if i do well on my exam as it will scale up the sac results since if will show that the sacs my school did were much harder than other schools (assuming my cohort does this to) all g further is not a pre resequite for any university course.
I'm so behind in methods it takes so long ive got a history sac on friday this week. Lets hope i did well for my Emg sac i did. Did the eco sac todsy, easier than i though. I knew alot more than i thought. But if 60%+ is comsidered a solid effort i wouldnt be suprised with maybe a 60% or 50%.

NAT0003

« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »
Man you're so switched on. In year 11 I slept through most classes hahaha
nah but srsly good on you mate, you'll do great next year. :P

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:27 pm »
Yeah in year 11, i hardly did methods h/w yet somehow managed to pass, didnt read my English book kinda tried, i cared bu tcpildnt be bothered with jw but passed  didnt do  any of my eco hw yet i passed, the only subject i tried in was my 3/4. I only regret not trying for methods tbh. That really fked my up this year
Also since ur not doing 3&4 really prioritise method sicne thats the same thing u learn in yr12 (only much faster and harder) and really prioritise english. U may want to prioritise it over maths as it will be you primary four in year 12
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:45:28 pm by TheCommando »

NAT0003

« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2017, 09:44:36 pm »
Yeah in year 11, i hardly did methods h/w yet somehow managed to pass, didnt read my English book kinda tried, i cared bu tcpildnt be bothered with jw but passed  didnt do  any of my eco hw yet i passed, the only subject i tried in was my 3/4. I only regret not trying for methods tbh. That really fked my up this year
is 3/4 methods anything like 1/2 methods

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2017, 09:46:06 pm »
Pretty much. Thats why i regret hpw i acted in 1/2
Same concepts but except much quicker and a bit harder

NAT0003

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2017, 09:49:24 pm »
1/2 methods is an excercise a lesson pretty much, like 1 lesson 3.1, then next lesson 3.2, and so on.

vcestressed

« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2017, 09:57:12 pm »
Which region are you in? I'm adjudicating tomorrow haha. Don't worry about the prestigious private school stuff, I once gave a debate to a considerably low SES public school over a selective school ( I went to a selective school myself). Unless you have an adj that automatically awards close debates to the elite private school just to appease them... The B grade topic has the potential to be fairly interesting (as long as you interpret it correctly)  :). Also most people write up their speech shortly before the debate ( as long as you roughly know what model, stance and arguments you are going to run, it will be fine. In uni we only get 15 minute to prep.).
This is so exciting now! My region is Ivanhoe. . are you the adjudicator? Omg can you make us win. . . only joking. I think I'm ready to smash it and i reckon my team is pretty okay so we will be fine. It's just that no one has that 'I want to win' spirit that most selective/private school students have and I actually do want to win.  :(

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2017, 09:57:14 pm »
+2

1/2 methods is an excercise a lesson pretty much, like 1 lesson 3.1, then next lesson 3.2, and so on.
Guys, I love the discussion about the intricacies of Mathematical Methods (CAS), however the purpose of this thread is to document the journey through VCE, not compare units 1/2 and 3/4 maths. Please seek the appropriate boards and/or threads for this. :)
(I may/may not be overly sick of maths atm)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:04:47 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

NAT0003

« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:32 pm »
Guys, I love the discussion about the intricacies of Mathematical Methods (CAS), however the purpose of this thread is to document the journey through VCE, not compare units 1/2 and 3/4 maths. Please seek the appropriate boards and/or threads for this. :)
(I may/may not be overly sick of maths atm)
Are we still allowed to document what homework we get each day

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2017, 10:50:39 pm »
Are we still allowed to document what homework we get each day
Absolutely! :)
Just the discussion I quoted was getting off-topic. Happy to discuss via PM. :)
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2017, 11:31:51 pm »
3 and 4
Is 2 excersies a lesson and we are suppose to finish a whole chapter in 2 weeks max

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2017, 11:32:18 pm »
+3
This is so exciting now! My region is Ivanhoe. . are you the adjudicator? Omg can you make us win. . . only joking. I think I'm ready to smash it and i reckon my team is pretty okay so we will be fine. It's just that no one has that 'I want to win' spirit that most selective/private school students have and I actually do want to win.  :(

Unfortunately not, Ivanhoe clashed with another region which is marginally closer to where I live. I have been to Ivanhoe a few times though, by elite private schools in that region I'm thinking IGS (the Ivanhoe campus tends to be fairly good but the Plenty campus is average) and IGGS. To be honest, a few teams from those schools may be quite good but the majority are fairly similar to the other schools ( most of the debates I've adj in that region are pretty close, the public schools that I've seen have been quite good). Apart from Melbourne High, St Kevins, Melbourne Grammar and Scotch (Mac.rob used to be really good but nowadays only have the occasional good team), the standard of the private/selective schools in debating aren't much different from the other schools. Just be mindful of a few things:
-The topic is supposed to discuss the power struggle between the doctors and parents, instead of the children and parents (as suggested by a few teams). This is the interpretation proposed by the DAV ( you should always aim to provide models/definitions that the adjudicator than expect). If this topic was intended to be about a power struggle between the parents and the kids, it wouldn't be a great topic to begin because 1. It will be full of assertions about the decision making capacities about parents and kids, 2. Realistically most kids are unable to fully rationalize the harms and benefits of medical treatments.
-If a team sell themselves short, by providing a 'soft' model and refuses to deal with a range of cases/scenarios (eg. A negative team gave a model that they'll allow parents to deny minor medical treatments like immunizations but have to negotiate other kinds), use it to your advantage. A team often provides a soft model because they don't really believe or agree with their team's side. As a result, there's a strong tendency for them to contradict themselves (the neg team I was referring to earlier, main arguments were about the financial burdens of major surgery, which was weird considering they only seemed interested in discussing minor treatments for the most part). It's also rather difficult to provide a principally consistent case when you have a whishy- washy stance.
- Try to get to the nuance of why parents deny medical treatments for their kids. Assume that parents care about their kids. Some parents have a preference for unproven, alternative medicine. Some parents have religious reasons for doing so (which is valid in some cases, because religion at times guides parenting and in many cases the state allows parents to raise their kid in such a way). There are also some cases where the kid is terminally ill, and deciding to go ahead with a medical treatment is difficult for a parent because they are so emotionally connected to the child ( they worry about the pain that they'll go through during surgery, their chances of surviving and the quality of life after the surgery). Parents often make the trade - off between extending life and quality of life unlike doctors. In other cases perhaps,  the parents are in a state of emotional trauma as the kid's sickness such that it is difficult for them to rationalize the potential risks of medical treatment. If you are aff, deal with these nuances.
-Structure: If you have a major argument,  consider internal sign-posting like 'there are 2 harms to this....1.........2..........', ' this argument is particularly important because. .......' or when you make a claim ' this is true for 2 reasons......1......2. Just make sure you clearly state why the claims you make within an argument are true ( if it's a practical rather than principled) and why it is important (principled and practical). For principled arg, explain how your principles apply to the topic.
-Rebuttal: Focus on broad argumentation rather than glib statements. Like how the other team explained their arguments (were the assumptions/premise they made valid, did they explain why their claims were true and important, did they clearly state harms and benefits and why they would accrue). If a premise isn't true, the benefits are irrelevant.  Like if a parents no longer wants to send the kid to a doctor the benefits on receiving medical treatment do not accrue. So with a false premise,  explain why the premise is false then say that the benefits won't accrue as a result, and then explain potential harms. If a team didn't explain why certain claims or benefits were true, say that they didn't provide an explanation of why they were true then provide an explanation of why they aren't.

Hope that this somewhat helps  :P
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb