Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:51:24 am

Author Topic: Communal VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)  (Read 182225 times)

shezzaloves

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Journey Journal (feel free to participate!)
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:10 pm »
+1
Does anyone know the benefits of having a VCAA examiner as a teacher? My health & psych teachers aren't but they get around 32-33 median whereas my legal and history rev teachers are both VCAA examiners (they started last year) My legal teacher marked PLC, one of the top schools in the state, not sure about my history teacher but he is a VCAA examiner haha

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2017, 09:05:41 pm »
Does anyone know the benefits of having a VCAA examiner as a teacher? My health & psych teachers aren't but they get around 32-33 median whereas my legal and history rev teachers are both VCAA examiners (they started last year) My legal teacher marked PLC, one of the top schools in the state, not sure about my history teacher but he is a VCAA examiner haha

one of my health teachers is an examiner! she doesn't teach me personally, but will end up crossmarking my sacs (aah). i feel like it's automatically beneficial to have an examiner as a teacher though because they'll be marking the exam you do (obviously not yours, but same questions) at the end of the year, and if they've been doing one study design a while they'll know exactly what needs to be included in an answer for it to get full marks. of course, all your teachers are going to be pretty sure of that, but it can't hurt to have someone who's literally going to be marking exams teaching you!

also at this point i'd literally give three of my limbs (would be four but i need my right arm to write with) for that legal teacher, lmao. kind of dying with mine right now.

SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2017, 09:08:05 pm »
+1
not much ahaha - it's really down to the students work. I guess it helps because they usually go to conferences to talk about accepted answers/notation etc The assesors get a marking scheme so marking VCAA exams doesn't automatically make them a god  :P
I think 3 of my 5 teachers marked vce exams in my year but in the end there were students who did well and others who didn't.

vcestressed

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2017, 09:09:38 pm »
Benefits:
- most of them give you tips on how to answer questions pretty well  :D
- they know what mistakes are likely to be made
- they can be super strict when marking SACs
- they know their subject inside out - will most likely be a very good teacher
My bio teacher was a vcaa examiner last year and this is what i've experienced.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:12:53 pm by vcestressed »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2017, 09:11:19 pm »
+1
not much ahaha - it's really down to the students work. I guess it helps because they usually go to conferences to talk about accepted answers/notation etc The assesors get a marking scheme so marking VCAA exams doesn't automatically make them a god 
I think 3 of my 5 teachers marked vce exams in my year but in the end there were students who did well and others who didn't.
I second this, my methods/spec teacher last year was an methods exam 2 marker (or was it both, I don't remember, haha) and it was mostly about the effort/work we put in, not about the teacher being a marker. :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:15:11 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2017, 09:22:08 pm »

Having a VCAA assessor as your teacher is very useful as they know the course inside out and they will know all the tips and tricks for doing well as well as the common errors people make. I had an assessor as my teacher for bio last year and it was really helpful as she could mark all my practice exams like they were the real thing, giving me excellent feedback. I simply wouldn't have been able to mark my own exams to the same level and wouldn't have had any constructive criticism to work with. Overall I think they are most useful for subjects where it is difficult to mark your own practice exams.
UAdel MBBS

chooby

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
+2
=14th of March 2017=
-few study periods today so revised for bio whole day basically
-starting electricity and circuitry in physics; just glad to be away from thermo
-got chem test back got 93%. super happy with it.
-got first english sac results back. was a text analysis on Frankenstein; didn't do too well. definitely pass but I'll need to do better :\
-doing choir was a nice break. love me some music.
-did some permutations stuff for methods
-time to devote rest of tonight for bio  :D
"It's not the building that matters; it's what happens in it that does" ~ Mark Conner

2017 | Biology [38]
2018 | English [] Methods [] Chemistry [] Physics [] MUEP Chemistry []

thammie

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2017, 09:27:51 am »
Benefits:
- most of them give you tips on how to answer questions pretty well  :D
- they know what mistakes are likely to be made
- they can be super strict when marking SACs
- they know their subject inside out - will most likely be a very good teacher
My bio teacher was a vcaa examiner last year and this is what i've experienced.  ;)

I totally agree.... my legal teacher was an examiner and she gave our class a lot of tips and advice throughout the year on how to answer questions and make them relevant so that we could save time on the exam and give the examiners the points they're looking for. She also marked my practice questions really quickly (but harshly!) and gave me a lot of feedback on how I could improve..... So yeah... based on my experience, having a vcaa examiner as your teacher is really, really helpful.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:55:08 am by thammie »
2019-2023: BMedSc/MD at Monash Uni
Music performance tips
How I got 48 raw in legal

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2017, 12:27:17 pm »
+2
Ooh, this is such a good idea. Guess this is my first entry.

15th of March, 2017

I received my first English SAC results yesterday. 26/30, for a creative SAC on I for Isobel. I'm a bit conflicted -- I know that rankings are what's most important, and I scored the highest in my class (and possibly the cohort), so I should be happy about this (hard to say it without sounding like a humblebrag though, haha), but I'm still disappointed nonetheless, as that's a lot of mistakes. Fortunately, we're starting 'No Sugar', and I am much more happy with how my practice SAC for that went.

I'm not at school today, as I have four hours of my university extension subject ('Anatomy & Physiology') today, and that coincides with my only VCE class for this day. I'm pretty excited so far. It's all really interesting, so it's much easier to study for, and I'm happy with my results on the quizzes and whatnot thus far. I'm doing my first lab today, so that's pretty neat.

I have three assessment tasks tomorrow though, so wish me luck, haha. Pretty confident so far though. The most difficult one is for Chemistry, which is a practical report, and my fantastic group managed to fly through the prac.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:32:50 pm by Calebark »
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

shezzaloves

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2017, 12:30:44 pm »
I totally agree.... my legal teacher was an examiner and she gave our class a lot of tips and advice throughout the year on how to answer questions and make them relevant so that we could save time on the exam and give the examiners the points they're looking for. She also marked my practice questions really quickly (but harshly!) and gave me a lot of feedback on how I could improve..... So yeah... based on my experience, having a vcaa examiner as your teacher is really, really helpful.

My legal teacher gave us SOOO much holiday homework, summarise 1st 3 chapters, questions etc, we get a weekly workbook and she is tough, she will let us go to her house and she will help us.. some of my classmates hate her, but if she wants us to do well, she has to be tough :)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2017, 01:11:15 pm »
+2
=14th of March 2017=
-few study periods today so revised for bio whole day basically
-starting electricity and circuitry in physics; just glad to be away from thermo
-got chem test back got 93%. super happy with it.
-got first english sac results back. was a text analysis on Frankenstein; didn't do too well. definitely pass but I'll need to do better :\
-doing choir was a nice break. love me some music.
-did some permutations stuff for methods
-time to devote rest of tonight for bio  :D
Well done with chem! ^_^
Thermodynamics sounds horrible, I can't remember much (if at all) of it! :)
Don't worry about your English SAC, I'm sure you'll ace the semester!
How'd studying for bio go last night? :)

Ooh, this is such a good idea. Guess this is my first entry.

15th of March, 2017

I received my first English SAC results yesterday. 26/30, for a creative SAC on I for Isobel. I'm a bit conflicted -- I know that rankings are what's most important, and I scored the highest in my class (and possibly the cohort), so I should be happy about this (hard to say it without sounding like a humblebrag though, haha), but I'm still disappointed nonetheless, as that's a lot of mistakes. Fortunately, we're starting 'No Sugar', and I am much more happy with how my practice SAC for that went.

I'm not at school today, as I have four hours of my university extension subject ('Anatomy & Physiology') today, and that coincides with my only VCE class for this day. I'm pretty excited so far. It's all really interesting, so it's much easier to study for, and I'm happy with my results on the quizzes and whatnot thus far. I'm doing my first lab today, so that's pretty neat.

I have three assessment tasks tomorrow though, so wish me luck, haha. Pretty confident so far though. The most difficult one is for Chemistry, which is a practical report, and my fantastic group managed to fly through the prac.
Glad you love this idea! ;D
Mistakes happen a lot, I get that. However I reckon that your score is really, really good, I believe it should go up from there! (Okay, that sounds cheesy, don't mind me ::) )

How's anatomy and physiology going? I do a physiology unit and I'm practically going insane (but then I didn't do bio- I should apologise to M one day for absolutely disliking it at school, haha)

Good luck for Chem and the other SACs! You have the T for chem right? :)

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2017, 01:27:09 pm »
+2
Mistakes happen a lot, I get that. However I reckon that your score is really, really good, I believe it should go up from there! (Okay, that sounds cheesy, don't mind me ::) )

How's anatomy and physiology going? I do a physiology unit and I'm practically going insane (but then I didn't do bio- I should apologise to M one day for absolutely disliking it at school, haha)

Good luck for Chem and the other SACs! You have the T for chem right? :)
[/quote]

Haha no, I like cheesy, I appreciate your confidence :D

It's going great -- it's a very hectic unit. Absolutely loads of content already. We're not expected to know it all in vast detail, but I can't help trying to learn anyway. We haven't heaps yet -- mainly body organisation, homeostasis, cell structure and corresponding function, and microbes and methods of controlling them. It's starting to pickup now, so I'll update in a week, haha. Do you like the content so far though? I'll be sure to pass on your apologies to M :P

Haha yes, I have the T for Chemistry. I've lost my seat though, I had that for years!
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2017, 01:40:14 pm »
+1
don't worry about 26/30 in an English sac. Especially if it was the highest in the cohort. Usually teachers in English are very reluctant to give full marks or close to full marks because they think the student will feel that they have no room for improvement.

In my cohort we would only receive a range for our score e.g 27-30/30

EDIT: 800th post

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2017, 01:45:38 pm »
Haha no, I like cheesy, I appreciate your confidence :D

It's going great -- it's a very hectic unit. Absolutely loads of content already. We're not expected to know it all in vast detail, but I can't help trying to learn anyway. We haven't heaps yet -- mainly body organisation, homeostasis, cell structure and corresponding function, and microbes and methods of controlling them. It's starting to pickup now, so I'll update in a week, haha. Do you like the content so far though? I'll be sure to pass on your apologies to M

Haha yes, I have the T for Chemistry. I've lost my seat though, I had that for years!
Hahaha confidence? That happens when you're half tired and you don't think as well

Ah, hectic units are always fun! I've covered so far cells, tissues, organs, systems (and functions thereof), genes to proteins (so transcription and translation) and we're now doing a really indepth look into membranes. (I'll be glad to start the systems in more depth though!) Please do, I've been saying it since year 9 hahaha.

No! You lost your seat! Sad reacts only :'(

Edit: missing bracket- I have a habit of that :o

NAT0003

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2017, 02:11:48 pm »
Hahaha confidence? That happens when you're half tired and you don't think as well

Ah, hectic units are always fun! I've covered so far cells, tissues, organs, systems (and functions thereof), genes to proteins (so transcription and translation) and we're now doing a really indepth look into membranes. (I'll be glad to start the systems in more depth though!) Please do, I've been saying it since year 9 hahaha.

No! You lost your seat! Sad reacts only :'(

Edit: missing bracket- I have a habit of that :o
What degree are you studying :)