Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 08:50:47 pm

Author Topic: Euphemism of the Year by United Airlines?  (Read 2315 times)  Share 

dmitridr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • VCE English Language Tutor
  • Respect: +38
Euphemism of the Year by United Airlines?
« on: April 13, 2017, 02:11:35 pm »
+3
*** EUPHEMISM OF THE YEAR BY UNITED AIRLINES!? ***

In today's post, I want to show you a VERY MODERN example of how euphemism has been used in corporate speak in the media recently and how this ties in to its obfuscatory and confusing purpose.

First, watch the video here at the top of this page to give you context: http://time.com/4735588/united-airlines-video-overbooked-reaccommodate-oscar-munoz/

To give you some context, I am sure many of you have heard about the customer being dragged out of the plane by Airport security on United Airlines a few days ago. As a viral video spread across the Internet, showing a man dragged off a plane, bloodied and protesting, after paying for a ticket to be on that plane, CEO Oscar Munoz released a statement apologising “for having to re-accommodate” customers like him who found themselves bumped from a flight.

Let's just stop right here and look at the lexeme 're-accommodate'. What does this mean? In fact after the statement, the search for this term went up 80,000% on the Merriam-Webster dictionary website. So obviously, the public didn't know what this even meant.

"Euphemisms can certainly be used for good. But this particular euphemism 're-accommodate' has been used as a means of cloaking shame. They would rather forget about it, so let's not call it for what it is. Therefore it didn't actually happen, right?"

In the days of social media, when there are helpful visual aides that can contrast with a politician’s or company’s account of a controversial event – and when armies of irascible tweeters are ready to pounce on a single misplaced descriptor – euphemisms aren’t great deflective shields. As hundreds of thousands of people watched the video and felt empathy for the man, Zimmer says, the notion that he was being accommodated not just once but twice conveyed a robotic lack of “human emotion.”

The language used by airline representatives often seems to be “the corporate voice from nowhere, where there’s no discernible individual behind the language, addressing people who want to engage in an emotional way and who are often shut down,” Zimmer says. No doubt United has received some backlash about the statement out of frustration travellers have built up over years toward this type of doublespeak.

Also stay tuned! Next week I will be announcing my upcoming English Language workshop for winter.

Enjoy your Easter :)
Dmitri.
Winter EL Workshop on Unit 4 AOS 1! Click here!

Need VCE English Language tutoring? Offering personal and group tutoring! See more details here!

Require a VCE tutor for any subject? - Click here!

Learn the entire VCE English Language 3/4 course inside out, in an interactive & engaging way! Get 25% OFF the full price today: Click here.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Euphemism of the Year by United Airlines?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 02:43:01 pm »
Great example! ;D +1

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 03:47:43 pm »
+1
Wait, so we're allowed to include and talk about examples from America, like this one?
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

Ahmad_A_1999

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »
+1
Wait, so we're allowed to include and talk about examples from America, like this one?

Straight from the 2016 exam in regards to section C

High-scoring students:
• included contemporary examples from 2016 media

I can't find anything about needing Australian examples from the study design :-/ but from what they've said above, it doesn't have to be Australia. Although it is best to use Australian examples according to most language teachers.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:35:39 pm by Ahmad_A_1999 »
2017:
Chem [41] Bio [44] Spesh / Methods / EngLang 
ATAR: 95.65
2018-2020: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »
+3
IMO Australian examples are preferable, all other things equal.

But all other things are rarely equal lol.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

dmitridr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • VCE English Language Tutor
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 03:10:44 pm »
+1
I agree that Aussie examples are more pertinent, but I posted this also to just show linguistic awareness. Find an Aussie company that would do this - and trust me, many do. :)
Winter EL Workshop on Unit 4 AOS 1! Click here!

Need VCE English Language tutoring? Offering personal and group tutoring! See more details here!

Require a VCE tutor for any subject? - Click here!

Learn the entire VCE English Language 3/4 course inside out, in an interactive & engaging way! Get 25% OFF the full price today: Click here.