Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:37 pm

Author Topic: CU in the NT - How Informal Language Shocks & Amuses!  (Read 965 times)  Share 

dmitridr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • VCE English Language Tutor
  • Respect: +38
CU in the NT - How Informal Language Shocks & Amuses!
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:00:33 am »
+1
*** CU in the NT! How Swearing Can Shock & Amuse! ***

Hey guys,

I came across this article about 1.5 months ago about how the Northern Territory is using swearing to hopefully persuade visitors to travel to the NT for a holiday.

Their using this slogan to persuade people: "CU in the NT" - I am sure many of you can see the connection to the swear word, so I am not going to write it here.

In my opinion, this is an example of how swearing is becoming quite standard in public discourse and is characteristically Australian. What could this indicate about our Australian cultural values?

This is a great example of how informal language is used in Australian society.

Read more about it here. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/marketing/cu-in-the-nt-campaign-slogan-obscene-says-advertising-watchdog/news-story/42fa51c273b53e88d204992a9ccaca60

Do you think this campaign achieved it's intended social purposes of persuading travellers to travel to the NT?

I hope this helps with finding modern examples!

Dmitri :)
Winter EL Workshop on Unit 4 AOS 1! Click here!

Need VCE English Language tutoring? Offering personal and group tutoring! See more details here!

Require a VCE tutor for any subject? - Click here!

Learn the entire VCE English Language 3/4 course inside out, in an interactive & engaging way! Get 25% OFF the full price today: Click here.