Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 11:43:02 pm

Author Topic: Help Understanding Essay Question (The Tempest & Hag-Seed)  (Read 2376 times)

ro_ro

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Help Understanding Essay Question (The Tempest & Hag-Seed)
« on: February 27, 2020, 09:53:10 am »
Hi i'm writing an essay for school on the tempest and hag-seed however i'm really struggling with how to address the question and answer it if any one has any idea it would be much appreciated.

A text can not only survive the shift from one form to another, but it can also thrive in ways not previously thought possible in in the original form.

To what extent is this statement true of the texts you have studied in this module?

Answer this with detailed reference to your study of The Tempest and Hag-Seed

Mod Edit: Removed caps in title.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:52:42 am by angewina_naguen »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Help Understanding Essay Question (The Tempest & Hag-Seed)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 11:03:20 am »
+2
Hi i'm writing an essay for school on the tempest and hag-seed however i'm really struggling with how to address the question and answer it if any one has any idea it would be much appreciated.

A text can not only survive the shift from one form to another, but it can also thrive in ways not previously thought possible in in the original form.

To what extent is this statement true of the texts you have studied in this module?

Answer this with detailed reference to your study of The Tempest and Hag-Seed

Mod Edit: Removed caps in title.

Hey, ro_ro!

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've got an interesting question here to work with. Your essay will essentially need to address whether you believe that Hag-Seed has managed to not only successfully translate Shakespeare's The Tempest into a new medium, but also that it has obtained a certain edge over its appropriated text because of it. You will need to cite aspects of The Tempest that have enduring values and universality, and how they have been reimagined for prose fiction in Atwood's novel. You should also consider how the differences in form and representation in Hag-Seed might invite more relevance to audiences today; the novel form is far more accessible and easy to register from a general audience view than a play, and representations of characters like Felix are more interesting and compelling than Shakespeare's (arguably) one-dimensionally motivated Prospero. 

When comparing your texts, you should draw attention to how Hag-Seed increases your understanding of Shakespeare's text and because it was created in retrospection and for a contemporary audience, it both builds from the original play, whilst transforming itself into an independent novel worth engaging in. Some really good themes to get started with include revenge and justice, agency, power and redemption. You can also check out these resources that I recommended to another user a while back to help deepen your engagement in the module. Hope that helps and if you have any further questions, let me know!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

ro_ro

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:13:58 am »
+1
Hey, ro_ro!

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've got an interesting question here to work with. Your essay will essentially need to address whether you believe that Hag-Seed has managed to not only successfully translate Shakespeare's The Tempest into a new medium, but also that it has obtained a certain edge over its appropriated text because of it. You will need to cite aspects of The Tempest that have enduring values and universality, and how they have been reimagined for prose fiction in Atwood's novel. You should also consider how the differences in form and representation in Hag-Seed might invite more relevance to audiences today; the novel form is far more accessible and easy to register from a general audience view than a play, and representations of characters like Felix are more interesting and compelling than Shakespeare's (arguably) one-dimensionally motivated Prospero. 

When comparing your texts, you should draw attention to how Hag-Seed increases your understanding of Shakespeare's text and because it was created in retrospection and for a contemporary audience, it both builds from the original play, whilst transforming itself into an independent novel worth engaging in. Some really good themes to get started with include revenge and justice, agency, power and redemption. You can also check out these resources that I recommended to another user a while back to help deepen your engagement in the module. Hope that helps and if you have any further questions, let me know!

Angelina  ;D

thank you so much

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 09:14:40 am »
Hi, not OP but what if I don't believe that Hag-Seed is an enhanced version of The Tempest. The only thing I think it enhances is Prospero's character - Atwood adds depth to him. Other than this, though, I don't think Hag-Seed "thrives" anymore than The Tempest.  Is arguing this point of view risky and susceptible to losing marks or not? I only ask because the question specifically asks "to what extent".

Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 12:17:07 pm »
Hi, not OP but what if I don't believe that Hag-Seed is an enhanced version of The Tempest. The only thing I think it enhances is Prospero's character - Atwood adds depth to him. Other than this, though, I don't think Hag-Seed "thrives" anymore than The Tempest.  Is arguing this point of view risky and susceptible to losing marks or not? I only ask because the question specifically asks "to what extent".

Thank you!

Hey, BakerDad12!

Sorry for the delayed response but you are absolutely welcome to argue to a moderate or limited extent if you establish your judgement clearly in the thesis and have strong textual evidence to support your arguments  :) It's risky, yes, but if executed effectively, will set your response apart.

To also clarify something really important, you will never lose marks for anything. Teachers (though some annoyingly don't) are always looking to give marks, not deduct them. When you receive a 15/20, for example, you should never think of it as "I've lost five marks because of something I've done", but rather "I've been given 15 marks, so what else could I have done/should I do to gain those remaining marks?" This is not only the truth behind how marking is facilitated in the HSC, but is also intended to ensure students have healthier mindsets and reflective processes after their assessments.

Ultimately, English is incredibly subjective but that's what makes it so empowering. Your ideas are welcome to thrive and be explored, so long as you do them with guided judgement and provide relevant examples  :D Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

kiwibirdau

• MOTM: Feb 20
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 01:10:05 pm »
+1
There are quite a few things going on in this question, I would simply break it down into a two-pronged approach:

1. The demands of the audience and expectations placed on either Shakespeare or Atwood.

In a simple sense, composers attempt to use "mass" literature, that is the forms that are consumed most commonly by their audiences. This ensures the focus of the text is not arguing why the form is the best mechanism to share meaning, but rather, actually focus on the core ideas within the text. (Easier to accept the meaning rather than audiences trying to "understand" and figure out a new form - that may be unfamiliar).

That is, if Atwood reappropriated Tempest into another play, it would't perceptively connect to audiences as well as the novel does. This is because we as a modern audience want more intellectual autonomy in understanding the characters, but also in a capitalist sense - novels sell the most at present and is what is more commonly published. (e.g. Hogarth Press)

Hence, the reason I would structure my argument on the basis of the changing demands of the audience is that it doesn't influence the form but rather forces composers to use a particular structure and form. This is quite an interesting argument about authorial intent and do composers actually have a sway on the base form. You can explore and delve into it a bit more.

For my second aspect to this response:

2. How has the successor changed my impression of the hypotext (edit from hypertext).

This is quite a personal opinion and this question really invites you to consider what you think Hag-Seed has showed you and what meaning you have achieved from reading it.

For me, I've learnt that the abuse of power is something that people so readily accept and has become an engrained aspect to how our society operates.

The "acceptability" of revenge and individual power compasses has been reasoned by Shakespeare through the degradation of the Great Chain of Being while Hag-Seed operates on the destruction of our strongly held meritocratic values.

In order to explore how Hag-Seed has "thrived" is that it shows the nuances that we as modern readers don't see or realise on a daily basis. Though the abuse of power remains constant, how it is embedded within our daily lives has significantly changed - this is where Atwood thrives.

An example of this is how Felix promises an "early parole" to 8Handz that demonstrates our "acceptance" of this abuse of power because it benefits both individuals. At first reading, I was quite supportive. However, after understanding more deeply Felix's intentions - he can control 8Handz, while 8Handz will be returned back to the "utopia" of the outside world (something he longs for). Though this benefits both parties - it unfavourably favours one over the other.

This has allowed me to re-analyse Ariel's imprisonment by Prospero as through my modern-lens it seems a gross violation of human rights, but after reading Atwood's text, I have realised that Prospero has actually "freed" Ariel from Sycorax - he isn't physically constrained and he is actually considered a "saviour". This is because he is re-instating the Great Chain of Being.

Therefore, in the same way as we accept Felix's control over the prisoners (that is quite nuanced and very deliberate choice by Atwood), I assume, the contemporary audience of Shakespeare similarly accepted and believed in Prospero's control over Caliban and Ariel. 

This is one example of how Atwood has thrived - it has made me realise that the abuse of power is more and more common as the capitalist system promotes a decollectivitised society - one that focuses on individual gains (hence manipulative abuses of power).

This is just one way of approaching the question, but again remember to provide a judgement on "extent". If you have any questions feel free to ask. :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:48:11 am by kiwibirdau »
HSC 2020
Work smart, not hard.