Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:26:06 pm

Author Topic: Is The Simpsons the most iconic TV show of our generation?  (Read 12325 times)  Share 

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Is The Simpsons the most iconic TV show of our generation?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »
+2
Like, sometimes it's damn hard to relate to people when I don't even fkn know what Pokemon is about and have yet to watch a single TV show. As soon as TV comes up as a topic of conversation I switch into nod-and-smile-manically-at-apparently-appropriate-intervals mode.

I guess after a childhood compleeeeetely free of those, it's hard to know where to start in assimilating relevant cultural knowledge... the volume of information is overwhelming and I would have to watch thousands of hours of stuff to be up with y'all. :-\
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »
Like, sometimes it's damn hard to relate to people when I don't even fkn know what Pokemon is about and have yet to watch a single TV show. As soon as TV comes up as a topic of conversation I switch into nod-and-smile-manically-at-apparently-appropriate-intervals mode.

Me with movies lol.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 06:37:28 pm »
+1
Me with movies lol.

But like

You still have never explained what makes movies so much worse than TV shows. Like seriously. What's the fkn difference?! (Having not watched TV shows because of lack of TV and only the very occasional family-controlled movie night, I don't even know hahahahahaha)
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 06:38:28 pm »
But like

You still have never explained what makes movies so much worse than TV shows. Like seriously. What's the fkn difference?! (Having not watched TV shows because of lack of TV and only the very occasional family-controlled movie night, I don't even know hahahahahaha)

I'm not huge on TV shows either, to be fair (EDIT: Since childhood, that is).

I think it's probably the length.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:40:03 pm by Joseph41 »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »

I guess after a childhood compleeeeetely free of those, it's hard to know where to start in assimilating relevant cultural knowledge... the volume of information is overwhelming and I would have to watch thousands of hours of stuff to be up with y'all. :-\

I doubt many people are up to date with all such childhood TV shows -- definitely not thousands of hours behind :) I would recommend trying The Simpsons though, not for the cultural significance, but just because it's enjoyable.

At the risk of venturing too off-topic; what things was your childhood filled with instead? :)
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 06:41:31 pm »
+1
DUDE

I HAVE TRIED MENTIONING THESE SHOWS TO PEOPLE, BUT I FORGOT THE NAMES

NOBODY ELSE HAS KNOWN OF THEM

FINALLY

F I N A L L Y

THANKS

excuse my excitement
I legit had to google a description of the show from my hazy memory 😂 There are several shows I just can't remember enough of to find out what they were - all I remember is that I enjoyed them a lot! Anytime you want to join me sifting through Wikipedia lists of Australian children's TV shows, let me know :P Same with old Aussie lollies and icy-poles and stuff! Can't remember their names for the life of me because they were discontinued a while back, but I remember the flavour of so many things.

Oh and Pokemon - loved it when I was young, I tried to re-watch it on Netflix when exams finished last year but sadly Ash's voice was just too annoying for me to handle. It was nice, being young and not realising that, it meant I could actually enjoy the show. But I just physically can't watch it now :P

Me with movies lol.
But like, are there any that you have enjoyed? Surely there's something. What about stuff with lots of action and all that to keep you occupied and interested?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 06:43:40 pm »

But like, are there any that you have enjoyed? Surely there's something. What about stuff with lots of action and all that to keep you occupied and interested?

Definitely some that I've enjoyed. But like, even with the knowledge that I somewhat enjoy some movies, I still wouldn't be thrilled about sitting down to watch one.

Harry Potter the exception. ;)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 06:45:34 pm »
+2
After reading this it gives me a lot more comfort.

There's literally a doc at my school called " Things Wales doesn't know about" and it gets added daily.

I only just found out who Johnny Depp was. Forgive me.

BUT GODDAMN, NEVER WATCHED POKEMON?

What is a childhood? you guys are appalling D:

Heavy Things :(

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:14 pm »
Wow, Wales. Right in the feels. :(

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:34 pm »
+1
Definitely some that I've enjoyed. But like, even with the knowledge that I somewhat enjoy some movies, I still wouldn't be thrilled about sitting down to watch one.

Harry Potter the exception. ;)

I never could get into Harry Potter ): Read a page and gave up. I should revisit someday.

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 06:47:55 pm »
Wow, Wales. Right in the feels. :(

Will I be in trouble if I force you in front of a screen and show the entire Season 1 of Pokemon right now? It's a sin...IT'S A SIN...

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:26 pm »
+1
I legit had to google a description of the show from my hazy memory 😂 There are several shows I just can't remember enough of to find out what they were - all I remember is that I enjoyed them a lot! Anytime you want to join me sifting through Wikipedia lists of Australian children's TV shows, let me know :P Same with old Aussie lollies and icy-poles and stuff! Can't remember their names for the life of me because they were discontinued a while back, but I remember the flavour of so many things.

Please tell me you remember 'Round the Twist'!? I hiked to the Aireys Inlet lighthouse once as a kid -- it was glorious (well, I was hiking, and found a lighthouse I later learnt to be that special one).

Not Australian -- I think it's English -- but do you remember 'Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids'?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 06:58:04 pm »
+1
Please tell me you remember 'Round the Twist'!? I hiked to the Aireys Inlet lighthouse once as a kid -- it was glorious (well, I was hiking, and found a lighthouse I later learnt to be that special one).

Not Australian -- I think it's English -- but do you remember 'Grizzly Tales for Gruesome Kids'?
Yessssss! Ah the mems <3

I never could get into Harry Potter ): Read a page and gave up. I should revisit someday.
Sooooooooo good to come back to as an adult.
Honestly, so many things are like that. I re-read a lot of my old favourite book series at the end of year 12, and got so much extra from them. I rewatched Harry Potter (and re-read it) - although that's definitely not the first time I've done that :P - and enjoyed it a lot. I even watched Shrek again the other day and got a new understanding of it and some of the jokes that are in there (it's honestly like an "ohhhhhhh" moment...just delayed by years :P)

Will I be in trouble if I force you in front of a screen and show the entire Season 1 of Pokemon right now? It's a sin...IT'S A SIN...
But his voice is so annoying :/ If anything, Joseph41 should have to watch the Pokemon movie. At least that one's ok - I think there's a different voice actor

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 06:59:20 pm »
+2

Round the twist..that was weird :P The theme song was amazing though

Calebark

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 07:01:06 pm »
+2
I still wouldn't be thrilled about sitting down to watch one.

Okay, not one. But what about three? All 682 glorious minutes of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy : Extended Edition.