Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:32 am

Author Topic: Bea's Films  (Read 40402 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Bea's Films
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:26:58 pm »
+16
Hey!

My name is Bea. I've been making films/edits since Year 8 and eventually became the main photographer and videographer at my school during Year 11 and 12. I've done mostly films for my school but have done random edits just for the lols. Seeing that I will be studying film from 2018 to 2020, I might as well share my films during my uni years. But I will also share previous edits that I've made in the past ;D

In this thread, I'll link you guys to my films and edits. Hope you guys enjoy them! :)

LINKS: Facebook page, Instagram, Youtube Channel

films & edits
Artists Anonymous - 2018 (Editor and script supervisor)
ATAR Notes NSW Lecture Team Promo - 2018 (Producer, cinematographer, editor and colourist)
Clean - 2016 (Editor)
DOGUE Lookbook 2019 Video - 2019 (Cinematographer and editor)
Donut Envy - 2016 (Dolly grip, camera operator and editor)
Ensemble Muse Concert Promo 2019 - 2019 (Editor, sound mixer)
Ida v.2 - 2018 (Cinematographer and editor)
Interview with Jamon - 2019 (Cinematographer, director, editor, colour grader, post-sound edit)
Jack - 2020 (Writer, editor, sound designer)
Just Relax! - 2018 (Co-producer, writer, director and editor)
PARACHUTE; - 2018 (Producer, writer, director, cinematographer and editor)
Memento Mori - 2018 (Writer, director and editor)
UNSW MathSoc Integration Bee 2019 Highlights Reel - 2019 (Cinematographer, editor and colourist)
VARK - 2018 (Actor, editor and second assistant camera)
What's Your Flava? 2020 - 2020 (Series Producer, Marketing)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:16:32 pm by beatroot »
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
Re: Bea's Films
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:21:46 pm »
+7
Film: Donut Envy
Link: [X]
Date made: October 5, 2016 - October 7, 2016
Filmed: this other guy who was in my group
Edited: by me!

Plot: One boy becomes envy of another boy's donut.

** sorry for the terrible audio editing. It was my first time using Adobe Premiere Pro and I didn't know what I was doing half the time.

Behind the Scenes/Personal Anecdote
I took a three day course at AFTRS called 'HSC Video Intensive'. Throughout the course, we learnt how to gather film ideas, work on set and edit. Our tutor put us into groups and I was the only girl in the group of three boys. We were asked to do a film based on an emotion and the boys decided to do envy. A boy in the group was craving for a donut while we were making our storyboard so that's why we included it in the film. We created a "very convincing" office set. There we had the two boys as the actors, this other guy as the director/cameraman and I was stuck on boom and was also the clapperboard person. Took about 3 to 4 hours to film whilst editing took around 5 hours.

This film isn't the best film I've been involved in but this film had a lot of firsts. First time using a proper camera. First time filming in a studio. First time using studio lights. First time using a book mic. First time editing with premiere pro. And it was my first film course at AFTRS. This film course made me realise that I should study film. I had reassurance that this was definitely the thing I wanted to do as a job in the future. I knew I wanted to study at AFTRS for my tertiary studies.

Thanks 'Donut Envy' for being a memorable film. A year and a few months later, I finally secured my spot at AFTRS. I'm so excited to create more films in the future.

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 10:27:19 pm »
+5
You're account is private, but I requested to follow...keen to see your folio  :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:48:22 pm »
+4
SO KEEEEEEENNNNNN!!!!!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:57:25 pm »
+5
Edit: Clean
Date: January 6, 2016

A visual representation of what I would like the 'Clean' music video to look like

Video credits all go to TSwift and her team :-)

Sidenote
I've been a huge fan of the song 'Clean' from Taylor Swift's 1989 album. TSwift never released a video for it so I edited one instead. **This isn't a film. It's more of an edit.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:21:07 pm »
+5
I. AM. HERE. FOR. THIS.

*Clap emoji x3*
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:47 pm »
+8
Film: [Work in progress]

I think the only way I can actually motivate myself to make an edit/film is to actually announce it somewhere. If I just keep it to myself, nothing will happen and I'll just let my potential edit/film slip away...

I've been wanting to do a post HSC life review type of thing. I just want to make a film that's really personal and will include voiceovers and some nice shots of my area and subtitles from the script.

This potential edit/film will be called: What post HSC life has taught me

I actually wrote a 'book' but it's way too personal to share so I decided to translate it over to a script instead and create a film.

This is what I've got for the opening lines so far:

I’m not gonna lie and say that I enjoyed post HSC life. Sure I did enjoy waking up late and eating whenever I wanted and not having to rush for the 8:05 bus in the morning. But post HSC life stripped me away from having a routine, a social life and a sense of purpose.

I just hope I actually create this film. I don't mind editing (the easiest part when making a film imo) but I just need to stop being lazy and step outside my house to film some nice ~aesthetic~ shots. From that point on, I will have actual videos to edit with. Just need to find a microphone as well to do my voiceovers.

Fingers crossed I get this entire film done before I start film school :)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 10:25:11 pm »
+5
Film: VARK
[In progress]

Editing days: February 21-22, 2018

Film: [Unnamed film] Name: TBC

At the start of the ice breaker session with my group, we took a quiz to find out what type of learner we were. We were asked by our group lecturer to make a film to teach people about the different learners there are (visual, aural, read/writer, kinaesthetic). Within the group of 19, I got into a group of 7 and we decided to do a crime, mockumentary film. The different witnesses/suspects are different type of learners. But the irony is, their ability to learn is taken away from them. For example, the read/write learner had her glasses removed off her. The visual learner tried to draw the suspect from memory but their drawing ends up being ripped up by the bad cop. The kinaesthetic learner has her arms strapped to the chair so she couldn't identify the murder weapon. Lastly, the aural learner kept getting interrupted by the bad cop. I'm really bad at explaining plots but I'm hoping once I have this film up and running, you guys will understand what my group is trying to get here. It took about 1.5 hours to film this ~90 second film. Literally no one wanted to be in front of the camera because all our excuses were 'I'm studying film not acting'. But in the end, everyone ended being an actor anyways, which I find really ironic and hilarious.

I really wasn't expecting to start filmmaking during orientation week so above is just the plot of the new film that should be up and running by Friday!
Just finished my assembly cut and will be adding text and background music tomorrow.

Think I'm going to name the film 'VARK'. Straight to the point.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 07:48:45 pm »
+9
Film: VARK
Date: February 20, 2018 - February 23, 2018 (AFTRS O-WEEK 2018)

*VARK stands for visual, aural, read/write and kinaesthetic

Plot: It's a murder case. There's a bad cop and there's a good cop. The four witnesses all have different learning styles. But what happens when their learning style is taken away from them?

an explanation for why the good cops keeps changing
There's a reason why the good cop keeps changing in every scene. The first actress didn't want to continue so we got another actress. But she didn't want to continue as well. So then we got stuck with an actor at the end. The lack of continuity between the good cops is an inside joke in my group.

This film is my first ever film as a BA student at AFTRS. I'm gonna look back on this film in 2020 and think "why?"

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 07:56:11 pm »
+1
I actually laughed out loud at the end:
"dada da da! Learning is fun!"
What a masterpiece, thank you for showing, that was great! x3
You're right about the continuity, but it just made it more entertaining.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 09:32:22 pm »
+3
I actually laughed out loud at the end:
"dada da da! Learning is fun!"
What a masterpiece, thank you for showing, that was great! x3
You're right about the continuity, but it just made it more entertaining.

Thank you so much for the feedback!! ;D
I genuinely thought that the continuity error would be confusing but glad to know you found it entertaining.

The reason why a lot of the actors and actresses kept swapping was because NO ONE in my group wanted to be infront of the camera and all our excuse was "this is why I'm studying film so that I can stay BEHIND the camera. Not be infront of it". Everyone in my group ended up being actors anyways ahah :D

"Dada da da! Learning is fun!" -these words will forever haunt me during my three year film degree

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 05:26:57 pm »
+8
Film: Memento Mori [Work in progress]

Our end of semester one production block involves the 'Visual Storytelling' task and we have to make a 90-120 second film with the following briefs:
- no editing
- no dialogue
- no non-diegetic sounds
- only pan and/or tilt
- no zooming
- maximum of two characters
- all in one shot
- actors have to be within your degree, no external actors
There's a HUGE emphasis on the visuals to tell the story, hence the task being called 'Visual Storytelling'.

So I decided to go with a very artistic approach to this task and I will be calling my film 'Memento Mori' which is Latin for 'remember that you have to die'. I have a HUGE fascination with the concept of death because it's so abstract. Our first draft for our script is due this Thursday which is reallly close and I have no clue how to write a script :(

However, I do have a logline which is 'Death tries to seduce Life into his world through the art of dance and his many alluring gifts'.

I got a girl from my Story class and a guy from my Screen Business class to play Life and Death because I believe they have the 'look' that I'm looking for. Though they have minimal dancing experience so I might just make them do the waltz for two seconds and just have them slow dancing. I still have to research some simple ballroom choreography online just for reference. I would love to have a dancing scene just like the following: 'Epilogue' (La La Land), Parachute music video (Cheryl Cole) and Horny Angry Tango (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend). I really want to go for that innocent and forbidden love vibe yet have a hint of seductiveness and physical tension between Life and Death.

I've got a team of four which involve a 1st AD, producer, production designer and a cinematographer.

Production starts May 28 and ends on June 12. Film should be up by June 13 :) I will post more updates on this thread the more I get into this film. I honestly can't wait because I've never written and directed a film before so this will definitely be a new experience for me.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 08:35:51 pm »
+6
Edit: Ida v.2
Date: April 3, 2018

Just our version of a scene from a Polish film called 'Ida'. All cinematography and camera operation done by all the lovely ladies in my Image class. My tutor kept insisting on ONLY the girls in the class to do all the work today as there is a huge demand for female cinematographers in the industry.

*edit was meant to be in a 4:3 ratio but I forgot to do that and it's too late to back out now

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 05:33:01 pm »
+6
Film: PARACHUTE;
Date: April 25, 2018
Filmed and edited: by me!

'The only person who can save you is yourself'
A short art film about internal conflict, self loathing and love.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 08:08:05 pm »
+5
Film: Memento Mori
Pre-production dates: March 2, 2018 to May 25, 2018
Date filmed: May 26, 2018
Official screening: June 15, 2018

Written, directed and edited by me
Key creatives credited at end of film

Death tries to seduce Life into his world through the art of dance and his many alluring gifts

My first official ever written and directed film is here! After months of stress, preparation and rehearsals, she's finally here. She's made it.

My director's vision statement:
open me!
There is a certain beauty and abstractness to the whole concept of death that appeals to me and I find it quite inviting and seducing. I want the audience to sympathise with Death’s vulnerability and to be pulled in by his grace, beauty and charm as I aim to humanise Death and normalise him in this death fearing society. Combining Life and Death is a paradoxical idea- none of the two parties can co-exist with one another, therefore creating this forbidden involvement that is alluring and inviting. By placing these two characters within a setting where they cannot be together romantically, adds tension to the scene but as well as feelings of caution, desperation and love; a reflection of the intensity of human emotions. The film will adopt symbols from Vanitas Still Life paintings which were prominent during the 17th century and placed an emphasis on the fragility of life, prized possessions and the reality of death. The genre of this film will be drama as the film will include themes relating to life, death and love. It would seem appropriate to portray these themes in a serious manner. The dance sequence in the film will ultimately drive the story forward as this will illustrate the dynamic between Life and Death as they learn to become comfortable with one another first and then reunite in this intimate yet innocent slow dance. In terms of technical approach, I want a symmetrical shot of the scene to present a balanced relationship between the two characters. I want this film to be an artistically driven piece that is both beautiful yet bittersweet at the same time.

Enjoy!