Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:45 pm

Poll

Do you want to settle down and live in one place?

Of course
13 (46.4%)
Of course not
3 (10.7%)
I'm unsure
9 (32.1%)
I'll do whatever is cheapest
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Do you want to settle down and live in one place?  (Read 2977 times)  Share 

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
Do you want to settle down and live in one place?
« on: July 14, 2018, 02:11:57 pm »
+7
This thread was inspired by Joseph41's housing market thread here.

Do you want to live in one place, or would you rather rent and move around a lot more? Why?
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Do you want to settle down and live in one place?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 02:15:22 pm »
+8
I think the answer to this question will depend on what experiences others have had (e.g. growing up, work, life...).

For me personally, I grew up where we have always rented and moved around every so often. I think renting gives you the flexibility of packing up and moving when circumstances change. For example, as a teacher I can teach anywhere in Victoria with my registration. If a permanent opportunity came up in say Geelong for e.g., I would have nothing holding me in Melbourne to pursue it.

I don't like the idea of staying in one fixed location for the rest of my life. It limits your possibilities. While renting is essentially paying off somebody else's mortgage, it gives you that flexibility that cannot (or is extremely difficult) be achieved with owning a home.

Buying a home as an investment property? Perhaps in the future... but in the meantime, no. Maybe my thoughts will change later on in my life as i'm still quite young...

I definitely wouldn't buy in metro melbourne though. It's becoming extremely crowded. I have entertained the idea in the past of a new development in a regional area / by the beach. That'd be nice. Fantasy end /
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:20:43 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 02:25:05 pm »
+12
I think, in general, I like stability. And if I were happy with my living arrangements, I don't think I'd much feel the need to move around.

Don't get me wrong - I love travelling and the like, and would want to continue with that, too, if possible - but in terms of living arrangements, I'm pretty keen to settle somewhere.

I think.

But I might be wrong.

EDIT: Voted "I'm unsure", but more toward the settling in one location side of things.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:14:37 pm »
+6
I kinda like the idea of owning a house and living there but it's all going to depend on what's practical & how it works with my career.

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 05:35:34 pm »
+5
Maybe I'll change my mind one day, but right now flexibility and the ability to move when I want is like an absolute dream. To see more of the world and it's people than I've known in my little bubble down here between the gum trees is going to be an amazing experience.

Freedom is something I hope to never grow complacent about or take for granted, so moving around, seeing new things and having new experiences is something I value. I guess I'm a kinaesthetic learner, so physically immersing myself in unfamiliar places is the best way for me to learn, and learning is a love of mine, too. Thus, renting makes a lot of sense.

So I guess I want to move around a lot (hence renting, not owning) until I'm about 45 and lose my wander-lust haha :)
i will not be mentioning my paranoia as another reason for moving around a lot
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 11:07:25 pm »
+2
I'd prefer to stay close to family, which at the moment means staying in Melbourne (and I like the stability).
If siblings scatter maybe that will change.
Like Joseph41, that doesn't rule out travel to other places, but they won't be my home.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:35:58 pm »
+4
I think staying in one place is ideal but like others have said that doesn't mean you can't travel frequently and for lengthy periods of time. Although obviously it's understandable that not everyone would have the opportunity to do that for various reasons.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 11:48:59 pm »
+6
Having moved from place-to-place for nearly half of my life*, I honestly don't mind the idea of renting and moving as I please.
Although it is nice to have the stability of one permanent place, the idea of being able to pack and move to anywhere (within reason of course) doesn't tie you down as much if your situation changes- whether it be for a new opportunity or otherwise. When the situation changes, I feel as if that transition is made easier by moving (idk why though!). :)

*I reckon I still have a couple of unpacked boxes from when I moved into where I currently am rn, even though I've been at my current place for nearly 10 years :')
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 11:54:18 pm »
+1
It depends honestly.

If the environment is good, I'd like to stay, but if the environments are bad, I'd like to settle to a place that has a good environment.  The idea of staying a place that isn't doing yourself any good is bad, and having no stability in life is no good either!

(oops, I'm a fence sitter)

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 01:22:11 am »
+4
This one is an easyish one for me.
I would love and do plan to move around, travel and see what I can for as long as I can.
But for me, "settling down" includes marriage and children (definitely not on the horizon for a long time). Moving around is okay when it's just yourself, but uprooting your partner and children is another matter.
So, when I do "settle down" I entirely plan to stay in the same place at least until any children that are damned into existence move out of home.

Talk about long term planning.
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 09:54:08 am »
+5
Definitely planning on settling down and buying a house when I can afford one (in the distant future). I enjoy travelling just as much as anyone else but I can’t imagine travelling without a home to go back to. I’d say I definitely prioritise stability over flexibility, probably because my parents were fortunate enough to buy a house in a nice suburb before house prices skyrocketed.
UAdel MBBS

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 05:10:09 pm »
+1
Really liking all the answers here! I especially agree with Aaron's view.

I don't want to buy a house and live in one spot. I think I'd get too bored with the monotony. I do want something a bit more stable than short-term leasing, and maybe stay in a house for a few years before leaving, but nothing too grounding. The biggest issue is how it'd affect my future career. Two current considerations are education or taking up a trade -- at least this way it'd allow me to be a bit less static.

I guess we'll see how I feel in a few years -- maybe this is just immature 20-year-old thinking.

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢