Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:58:11 am

Author Topic: Inconistencies and Paradoxes in Crucible  (Read 9507 times)

JCorben.2019

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Inconistencies and Paradoxes in Crucible
« on: August 13, 2019, 09:02:37 am »
+1
Hey so I got trials in a few days and I still don't understand examples of inconsistencies in human behaviour and paradoxes in Arthur Miller's "The Crucible", can someone give me a few examples from "The Crucible"

Kind Regards
James

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Inconistencies and Paradoxes in Crucible
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:06:05 pm »
+2
Hey so I got trials in a few days and I still don't understand examples of inconsistencies in human behaviour and paradoxes in Arthur Miller's "The Crucible", can someone give me a few examples from "The Crucible"

Kind Regards
James

Hey, JCorben.2019!

If we look at the definitions of those two concepts, paradoxes refer to people or things that combine contradictory features or qualities and inconsistencies refer to things which fail to remain constant. We can apply these concepts to human behaviour because they explore how our actions and thought processes are complex in nature.

A great character example for the first concept is Danforth who despite being a judge has poor judgement and bases his legal procedures on false accusations. There's a paradox that lies in that and this exposes a flaw in human behaviour, more specifically in terms of the ability to rationalise and make informed decisions.

We can recognise the inconsistencies in behaviour with a character like Abigail who manipulates and adapts to the social circumstances for personal gain. Her longing for Proctor's attention, as well as her limited role as a woman in a highly conservative society, renders her to act in ways that best suit her individually and politically. Hope these examples illustrate well that rubric dot point for you  :D Good luck for your Advanced Trials!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music