Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:08:11 am

Author Topic: Chem exam time allocation  (Read 2111 times)  Share 

PocketRishi

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Chem exam time allocation
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:29:07 pm »
Hey guys,

I was wondering what time allocation you would recommend for tomorrow's Chem exam.
I am trying to finish off multiple choice in roughly 35 minutes (includes 12 mins reading time, 23 mins writing time). I don't know if this is too fast or too slow. What would you guys recommend? Thanks

kasey.mercieca

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Chem exam time allocation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:34 pm »
+2
Hey!

That sounds like a pretty good plan to me! Make sure that with your practice exams you can stick to that, in order to prevent you from worrying or getting stressed if you take a few minutes longer in the actual exam. I myself tends to jump around a bit. I am not sure if this would be recommended, but for myself it ensure that I finish all the easier questions off, and have time to go back and spend more time trying to thoroughly understand the root of the question. A good idea for reading time also, is to ensure that you have a quick look over the challenging questions, particularly in relation to the extended design. This will ensure that you think about it throughout the exam in order to maximise your marks and have a coherent and well structured answer that addresses all the required chemistry.

Best of luck for tomorrow! :)

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 06:00:08 pm »
+3
Reading time:
- Read short answer first
- Identify the hard questions (the ones you are likely to get stuck on)

Writing time:
- Work sequentially through short answer questions (if a question stumps you for more than 1 minute, skip it and move on) until you reach the end of the short-answer section
- Do multiple choice next (again, if you find yourself getting stuck on a question for more than 1 minute, skip it and move to the next) until you reach the end of the multiple choice section

*You have now done all the straightforward/easy questions and guaranteed yourself the easy marks (if you just spent ages on the hard questions, you might not have had enough time to do the easy ones at the end and realise that you lost easy marks).

*So after you have done all the easy questions, go back to the hard ones. You have read them once/a few times before so your mind will be fresh again, and you might see how to do it from a different perspective

Stay calm, always keep track of time, every second counts.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:02:34 pm by turtlebanana »
2018: Business Management [44]

Matthew_Whelan

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:07:26 pm »
+1
Just a small point, instead of skipping multi choice questions take a solid guess then move on, I usually do an asterisk next to the question so when I go back over it with more time I can locate it, you don’t want to accidentally forget about unanswered questions.
2018: Psychology
2019: English, Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
ATAR: 88.65

turtlebanana

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 06:10:31 pm »
+1
Just a small point, instead of skipping multi choice questions take a solid guess then move on, I usually do an asterisk next to the question so when I go back over it with more time I can locate it, you don’t want to accidentally forget about unanswered questions.

Oh yes definitely mark it on your multiple choice answer sheet. If you want to be really safe, you can just shade in a random answer (e.g. C) as well as put an asterisk next to it, and then move on.
2018: Business Management [44]