Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:01:05 am

Author Topic: The Night Before Biology...  (Read 10261 times)  Share 

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
  • Respect: +13
The Night Before Biology...
« on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:07 am »
+10
Understand what BOSTES wants you to know, and think about how you’ll prove that you do actually know it.
The number one mistake that people make in Biology is not answering the question. This is easily avoided by, you know, answering the bloody question. Read it, underline the key parts, and explicitly use the words of the question in your answer.

As for what you’ll be asked…
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – HSC Biology has a Hidden Curriculum; concepts that BOSTES wants you to understand, but that aren’t explicitly stated in any dot points.
This is, in short:
Scientists use new technology to build on the work of others – furthering our understanding of biological concepts that have important implications for both the environment and for human health.

This idea will be the focus of the 8-marker. Absorb it into your soul, take a deep breath, then read on.

NO MORE PAST PAPERS
Don’t do the 2015 paper. In fact, don’t do any more papers. I don’t care what you’ve been told. There are only two possible outcomes:
1.   You don’t know something and it makes you anxious. Not helpful.
2.   You internalise the questions and go into the exam with expectations about what the questions will be. Also not helpful.
By this point you’ve done enough preparation and papers. Stressing yourself out is the last thing you want to do.

Flick through your notes
Use this opportunity to remind bring key content to the forefront of your mind, recall examples you might have forgotten, and get yourself in the right ‘frame of mind’ for Biology. This is the time to highlight some key ideas, make yourself a little palm-card of the names of your examples/the pracs/the scientists to jog your memory.

Treat yoself
Have a bath or something. You probably smell. Take the opportunity to meditate a little. Try to clear your mind and come to peace with the facts that:
1.   You have done some really good work.
2.   You have a really good understanding of a lot of important and interesting ideas
3.   You will soon be finished with biology, perhaps forever.
4.   You no longer smell

Get some sleep
Seriously. Tomorrow you’re going to need lots of stamina to work at your best for three whole hours. You are prepared enough. Cramming all night long will not do your brain any good. Pat yourself on the back for getting through two whole years of biology, and give yourself an early night.
Set your alarm for bright and early tomorrow, have one last flick through the highest-yield content then have a good night’s sleep. You’ve earnt it.

If you have any last minute questions, post them in the comments below. Deep breaths, fam.
xx Naomi
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 04:46:07 pm by naomisirmai »
ATAR: 99.45
Studying Medicine at UNSW
Biology: 94 | Chemistry: 93 | Ancient History: 95 | History Ext: 47 | English Adv: 93 | English Ext 1: 47 | English Ext 2: 49 | UMAT: 95

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: The Night Before Biology...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 11:02:05 am »
+1
Have a bath or something. You probably smell. Take the opportunity to meditate a little. Try to clear your mind and come to peace with the facts that:
1.   You have done some really good work.
2.   You have a really good understanding of a lot of important and interesting ideas
3.   You will soon be finished with biology, perhaps forever.
4.   You no longer smell

If you have any last minute questions, post them in the comments below. Deep breaths, fam.

Naomi You are the real MVP :P

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:18:39 am »
Naomi You are the real MVP :P

Thank you Sanaz :D Best of luck!
Biology: 94 | Chemistry: 93 | Ancient History: 95 | History Ext: 47 | English Adv: 93 | English Ext 1: 47 | English Ext 2: 49 | UMAT: 95

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 01:48:51 pm »
thanks for the advice Naomi

JDENG

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Heritage College Syd
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 04:39:06 pm »
I was about to my start my first past paper, but I shall not anymore :) Thanks Naomi! #99atar <3

Neutron

• Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:41:36 pm »

Yo! Just with this question (idk whether you meant questions about general health or actual content but whatever hahah), which 3 scientists would you recommend? I picked Mendel, Morgan and Sutton and above to (I treat them as one) but it doesn't really 'verify' or 'modify' it just expands on Mendel. Also, what technologies do they want us to talk about, all I can think of is microscopes :/ cheers!

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 05:52:39 pm »
(Image removed from quote.)

Yo! Just with this question (idk whether you meant questions about general health or actual content but whatever hahah), which 3 scientists would you recommend? I picked Mendel, Morgan and Sutton and above to (I treat them as one) but it doesn't really 'verify' or 'modify' it just expands on Mendel. Also, what technologies do they want us to talk about, all I can think of is microscopes :/ cheers!

This is a really difficult question! I've attached how I answered it (obviously just expand by giving definitions and descriptions).
I think the key here is to put them in order of time - when they discovered what they did - and to try to link their discoveries together.

Krijan

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
  • School: Merrylands High School
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 06:15:46 pm »
Heyy, I have one question about two of the scientist, Im still sort of unsure about Sutton and Boveri and their work, i mean i read about it but it just seems like they are similar but im still unsure about their work, can you please help me out there

Thanx :)

stephanieazzopardi

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 06:35:56 pm »
Heyy, I have one question about two of the scientist, Im still sort of unsure about Sutton and Boveri and their work, i mean i read about it but it just seems like they are similar but im still unsure about their work, can you please help me out there

Thanx :)

The main difference between Sutton and Boveri is:
  • Sutton: showed that in meiosis, every gamete receives half the amount of genetic information
  • Boveri: used sea urchins to show that a complete set of chromosomes is necessary for normal development of an organism AND that the genetic information of an organism is located in the nucleus, NOT the cytoplasm
Hope this helped!  :)
[/list]
ATAR: 95.70
Bachelor of Applied Science (Speech Pathology) @ University of Sydney

Krijan

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
  • School: Merrylands High School
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 06:41:36 pm »
Yep I Understood !! Thank You  :D

rileyqt

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 07:20:31 pm »
Hey! I have a few questions:
In questions where we are asked to identify the structures of the eye in two animals, for example, would humans be an okay option?
And is there ACTUALLY a difference between independent assortment and random segregation?

caninesandy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 08:50:08 pm »
THAT WAS AWESOME, Naomi!
Omgosh...I laughed SO MUCH when you told us that we stink. ROFL

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!!!  :D
"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."

Neutron

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:09 pm »

This is a really difficult question! I've attached how I answered it (obviously just expand by giving definitions and descriptions).
I think the key here is to put them in order of time - when they discovered what they did - and to try to link their discoveries together.

Yo but how are these scientists (apart from Sutton) related to inheritance?

Sanaz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 09:22:13 pm »
Yo but how are these scientists (apart from Sutton) related to inheritance?

Mendel is the father of genetics, He noticed similar traits between successive generations. The height, colour, pod colour, wrinkly-ness etc. These are all traits and his experiments are all about inheritance.

Beadle and tatum- their experiment was about how a gene controls a polypeptide, experimentally linking how genetics and phenotypes work, therefore it shows how actual physical traits are inherited from the genes given to them from generations above.

mmadeleine

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Abb
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 09:44:21 pm »
Could someone please explain why there are two independent variables in this experiment (it was a 2015 multiple choice question):

Investigate the optimum pH of four different enzymes.