Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:46:09 am

Author Topic: Related texts for Worlds of Upheaval  (Read 12968 times)  Share 

maxoxo

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +2
Related texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:11:51 am »
Hey! We have an upcoming assignment where we need to find two related texts that correspond to our module of worlds and upheaval and our prescribed texts- including Frankenstein and Waiting for Godot. I don't know where to start looking, but I know I would prefer to do a short story or short novel that is quick to get through. Does anyone have any suggestions in mind?

Thank you so much :D

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Related texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 11:55:40 am »
+5
Hey! We have an upcoming assignment where we need to find two related texts that correspond to our module of worlds and upheaval and our prescribed texts- including Frankenstein and Waiting for Godot. I don't know where to start looking, but I know I would prefer to do a short story or short novel that is quick to get through. Does anyone have any suggestions in mind?

Thank you so much :D
Hey there,

I didn't study Extension English but I do have a text in mind. Christopher Marlowe's play 'Doctor Faustus' would probably be a good text for both prescribed texts because it talks about the clash between medieval and renaissance ideology, i.e. who should we prioritise first: God or man? The play even opens with a monologue from Faustus, rejecting the idea of God and the importance of science. I think this fits really well with how Mary Shelley discusses the dangers of pursuing knowledge through the impacts of the monster on Victor Frankenstein, but also Beckett's anti-religion stance in Waiting for Godot. The play isn't also too long, maybe around 60-70 pages. While it isn't as influential as Goethe's version of Faust (in fact this play is way too long stage productions don't even adapt the whole thing), Marlowe's version was still controversial since literary scholars have debated whether the play is Calvinist or anti-Calvinist.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Related texts for Worlds of Upheaval
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 05:31:27 pm »
+5
Hey, maxoxo!

Olivia's suggestion is a fantastic one! I second that as a choice to consider. It pairs really well with Frankenstein and Waiting for Godot so I definitely recommend it! I have some more suggestions below which you may like to have a look at too for a second text  ;D These are neither drama nor prose so you can have variety in your textual forms for the related text discussion.

Poetry
Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven (1845)
Thomas McGrath's All The Dead Soldiers (1967)
Afaa Michael Weaver's Waste (2014)
Nomi Stone's Anthropocene (2016)

Film
Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun (1987)

Nonfiction
Wyndham Lewis' Blast Manifesto (1914-1915)
George Orwell's Why I Write (1946)

Hope this helps  ;D Would love to hear what you end up choosing  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music