Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:42:26 am

Poll

suzanne cory?

didn't get in
8 (25%)
hoping for round 2
6 (18.8%)
got in, not going?
6 (18.8%)
got in, goinnnnnnnnnn
12 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Suzanne Cory Yr 9 2020  (Read 5091 times)  Share 

imhungry

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Suzanne Cory Yr 9 2020
« on: August 12, 2019, 08:46:31 pm »
hi! since i can't seem to find one, decided to make a board for anyone going to suzanne cory in 2020. (mainly bc at this point i don't know anyone who's going so um atm im a loner (:   )

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
Re: Suzanne Cory Yr 9 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 10:39:48 am »
hi! since i can't seem to find one, decided to make a board for anyone going to suzanne cory in 2020. (mainly bc at this point i don't know anyone who's going so um atm im a loner (:   )
I got 2 Superiors, 1 above average/high average/average each. I don’t even make it to the interview.
What does it take to get in?
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

imhungry

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:34:25 pm »
I got 2 Superiors, 1 above average/high average/average each. I don’t even make it to the interview.
I don't know, haven't gotten my results yet

ProbotMelbourne

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:41:53 pm »
For year10, I’m pretty sure u must be like super good;3 superiors minimum mate and no averages. Gl

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 01:55:14 pm »
I did the year 8 selective entry in 2017 and got no offer from any school. I also got no PD, oh well RIP

cerrahpasha

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:11:26 pm »

dude its still so blurry how these schools pick students. i got two superiors in maths and rest were high average- did not get into mhs but got into nhs. i heard ppl get into mghs and mhs w only one superior and rest high avg. do these schools have weighting on the diff papers? how do they rank? does it matter if u only put one school in ur selections? was i offered nhs bc i saw it as a back-up and other got mhs bc they only put mhs?

not saying nhs is bad (its just that location is crap) but man am i pissed

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 02:14:11 pm »
dude its still so blurry how these schools pick students. i got two superiors in maths and rest were high average- did not get into mhs but got into nhs. i heard ppl get into mghs and mhs w only one superior and rest high avg. do these schools have weighting on the diff papers? how do they rank? does it matter if u only put one school in ur selections? was i offered nhs bc i saw it as a back-up and other got mhs bc they only put mhs?

Yeah I know what you mean, I heard some people getting 3 or 4 superiors and not getting in. Nossal is in Berwick (which isn't too bad). It does matter if you put 1 school in your selection, cuz if you don't get into it that means it might be over. Everyone should put SCHS its the easiest to get into from what I heard.

qwerty124

• Trailblazer
  • None
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 08:22:06 pm »
Same story here, got an email at 9am today saying I got a second round offer to SCHS
Congratulations!  :)

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 09:24:22 pm »

Possibly you got rejected because the percentage rule that most selective schools have...same here
Yeah I know what you mean, I heard some people getting 3 or 4 superiors and not getting in. Nossal is in Berwick (which isn't too bad). It does matter if you put 1 school in your selection, cuz if you don't get into it that means it might be over. Everyone should put SCHS its the easiest to get into from what I heard.
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

Hermit_Crab_study

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 03:04:52 pm »
You have to get at least 4 superiors. Either that or you have to have a very good reason why you should be accepted. One girl I know got accepted even though she had 2 superiors, because she was very athletic and Suzanne Cory wanted a diverse range of people.

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 08:12:38 pm »
+1
I'm a Year 11 Suzanne Cory student and I'm pretty sure that what results gets you in depends on the school that you go to. Generally, people put Macrob and MHS as first preference, so generally people with 4 superiors and above go there. I put Suzanne Cory as first preference as I didn't want to travel and got 4 superiors. There are many in my cohort who have gotten in with no superiors, as well as with 4 superiors (me and a few friends). I'd say the average Suzie student gets 1 or 2 superiors and a couple of high averages or averages. If you get top tier marks (for my cohort it was 4 superiors and above) they'll gobble you up with no interview, as it's rare for those people to prioritise the school as 1st.
The school adopts a 5% quota where they take the top 5%  achieving students in your school. If you go to an academically bright school (like Uni High's AP program that's where I went) then many people should be getting top marks (in my school the highest was 4 superiors and around 10-20 people got it and got into their first preference). If you go to a not-so-great school and you didn't get the top marks then it comes down to luck on whether SCHS chooses to pick from your school. If you got a few superiors and didn't get in, then Suzie might have adopted the 5% rule and only taken the top, or maybe it completely disregarded your school for some reason. If you don't score top-tier marks then sometimes it really can only come down to luck.
You've probably heard of students getting in with no superiors. Either that was complete luck, or they did amazing in their interview. You can definitely get in with less than 3-4 superiors, but it sometimes comes down to luck and if the school decides to adopt the 5% rule with your school.
All the best!!
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 08:31:48 pm »
+2
The school adopts a 5% quota where they take the top 5%  achieving students in your school. If you go to an academically bright school (like Uni High's AP program that's where I went) then many people should be getting top marks (in my school the highest was 4 superiors and around 10-20 people got it and got into their first preference). If you go to a not-so-great school and you didn't get the top marks then it comes down to luck on whether SCHS chooses to pick from your school. If you got a few superiors and didn't get in, then Suzie might have adopted the 5% rule and only taken the top, or maybe it completely disregarded your school for some reason. If you don't score top-tier marks then sometimes it really can only come down to luck.
You've probably heard of students getting in with no superiors. Either that was complete luck, or they did amazing in their interview. You can definitely get in with less than 3-4 superiors, but it sometimes comes down to luck and if the school decides to adopt the 5% rule with your school.
All the best!!

Just wanted to add a slight clarification. It seems your implying (and correct me if i'm wrong) that for some schools the 5% rule means they'll take 5% of the student body of some schools regardless of how they went. The 5% rule is strictly a limit on how many students they can take from a school, not a maximum. It only comes into play when there is both greater than 5% of the student body sitting the test AND more than 5% of the student body is eligible for entry due to their scores. They can absolutely choose to take 0 students from every school where there was not a candidate eligible for entry. There is no minimum.
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 09:02:23 pm »
+1
Just wanted to add a slight clarification. It seems your implying (and correct me if i'm wrong) that for some schools the 5% rule means they'll take 5% of the student body of some schools regardless of how they went. The 5% rule is strictly a limit on how many students they can take from a school, not a maximum. It only comes into play when there is both greater than 5% of the student body sitting the test AND more than 5% of the student body is eligible for entry due to their scores. They can absolutely choose to take 0 students from every school where there was not a candidate eligible for entry. There is no minimum.
That's a great explanation! Thank you for adding that, as I forgot to mention that very very important point wOOps
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Help me now pls

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 09:50:42 am »
+1
Hi guys, I'm currently in year 10 this year and applied for year 11 suzanne cory. Well i got an interview but is 1hr 30 mins long  :o, i really don't know what is going on and I also did not get my scores. ???

random101.1

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 02:59:00 pm »
Hi guys, I'm currently in year 10 this year and applied for year 11 suzanne cory. Well i got an interview but is 1hr 30 mins long  :o, i really don't know what is going on and I also did not get my scores. ???
Hey, new to Atarnotes not rlly sure how this works but same! Im a yr 9 currently and applied for year 10 schs. I passed the first round and got an interview which is also 1hr 30mins long. Bit confused on whats going to be happening in the interview and also have not gotten more scores yet too.