Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:19:11 am

Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 360960 times)

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
Re: The Cricket Thread
« Reply #2190 on: January 20, 2021, 12:40:26 pm »
+3
Are you talking about the 2018 series? Because India won that.

Was probably talking about the first test.

Wanted to wait until the end of the series before weighing in here - quite a few decent talking points.

We were all waiting for Warner to bolster the batting line up in the 3rd and 4th tests, but that didn't really happen - we essentially had Smith and Labuschagne opening the batting (almost felt like deja vu from the Ashes, seriously). It's tough to point out how Australia lost the series other than vaguely point at the batting being largely rubbish (loads of wickets thrown away, to be honest) but let's not take away how good India were at times. They bowled well, though arguably not as well as their first choice lineup would have, and let's see them get the plaudits and respect they deserve :D. The strength and depth is seriously something to admire.

I'm really not sure how people will still argue for Saha being in the team over Pant, and not sure how the likes of Neser and Richardson are still not getting a look in the Aussie pace attack. But hopefully something changes over time.

Gill, Green and Natarajan (mostly over the limited overs parts of the tour, but also the last test) have really impressed me. Hopefully they get better and better, Gill in particular looked brilliant. Reminded me a bit of Sehwag

You also can't seriously question Pujara's intent or perceived inability to change the gears/bat to the situation. In hindsight probably played perfectly, and got out to peaches every time (though he does force bowlers to bowl them to dismiss him).

Respect India - beat the Poms please :D
Hopefully Australia turns this around against South Africa

Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Oynx

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #2191 on: January 20, 2021, 01:56:14 pm »
Are you talking about the 2018 series? Because India won that.

Talking about the Adelaide test match I believe.

2021 - Biology | Further mathematics

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #2192 on: January 20, 2021, 02:16:45 pm »
+5
I am actually laughing soooo hard that India's C team and net bowlers(who bowled in the test match) could beat a full Aussie team. Tim Paine will really face some Pain(Get it) from the media and so will Justin Langer. I was practically running around when Rishabh Pant was smacking the Aussies with Washington Sundar. ( Unlucky for Sundar in the end). Instead of playing it safe and going for the draw both of the players went crazy and went for the win. Australia will face the music from the media for sure. ( Unlucky for Sundar in the end).

I was really impressed with the way Gill has been playing. The way he smacked around Starc in one of the overs was ridiculous. ( I think it was(6,4,4,1,.,4)or something like that). He even made Pujara hit a 4 which is RARE. I really have high hopes for his future. I was soo gutted when he got out on 91.

I hope that there are more crazy test matches to come later this season.   8) :D ;D ;) :)
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2193 on: January 20, 2021, 03:14:40 pm »
+2
Gee whiz, Gill looks a player.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2194 on: January 20, 2021, 04:17:36 pm »
+2
Can't be too surprised with Gill, was averaging about 68-69 in First Class Cricket before this series.

I would expect Wade/Harris to be dropped. Paine probably keeps his place in the team given there is no one to replace him as captain (unless you want to make Cummins captain which I wouldn't be opposed to). The team definitely needs to work on their on-field chat as well.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2195 on: January 20, 2021, 04:32:23 pm »
Can't be too surprised with Gill, was averaging about 68-69 in First Class Cricket before this series.

Absolutely - has a ridiculous FC record. This series is the first time I've seen him bat, though, and he just looks so solid.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2196 on: January 20, 2021, 04:37:36 pm »
+3
Absolutely - has a ridiculous FC record. This series is the first time I've seen him bat, though, and he just looks so solid.
First time for me as well. Definitely passes the eye test.

For AUS I liked what I saw form Green so far so hope he gets an extended run and maybe a bit more of a bowl in the future.

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #2197 on: January 20, 2021, 04:56:41 pm »
+1
Gee whiz, Gill looks a player.

He's also only 21. Could potentially have 15 or more years at the top :D
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2198 on: February 03, 2021, 11:54:56 am »
+2
AUS tour of SA is cancelled/postponed

Whilst I understand/agree with that this should happen if there are health concerns I am sure if AUS was going to IND they would basically do anything to make sure that series goes ahead.

Cool to see NZ qualify for the final of the WTC though

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2199 on: February 06, 2021, 10:15:34 pm »
+1
Joe Root in his purple patch  ;D

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #2200 on: February 06, 2021, 10:51:33 pm »
AUS tour of SA is cancelled/postponed

Whilst I understand/agree with that this should happen if there are health concerns I am sure if AUS was going to IND they would basically do anything to make sure that series goes ahead.

With that, I thought "Imagine the commentary here in Australia about 'entitled sportspeople' if one of the touring team got the (slightly less) dreaded South African strain".  Though if they do happen to qualify for the WTC Final and it's in England, I can't imagine them pulling out of it because of the "UK strain".

Joe Root in his purple patch  ;D

Definitely.  I'd mentally written him out of the Big Four or Big Five or whatever it's been in the last few years - his average dipped below 50 and his performance was good but not up to Smith, Kohli, or Williamson (or Labuschagne, for that matter, though need a few more years to see if he'll continue to perform long-term).  But with 3 centuries (2 doubles) so far in 2021 I guess Root's back in the Big Four :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #2201 on: February 09, 2021, 09:08:16 pm »
+1
Anderson's reverse swing though! oh my god! It was ridiculous. He got Gill and Rahane both out in one over. Apparently, it is one of the best overs of the century.
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #2202 on: February 10, 2021, 02:54:51 pm »
+1
Anderson's reverse swing though! oh my god! It was ridiculous. He got Gill and Rahane both out in one over. Apparently, it is one of the best overs of the century.

I haven't seen it yet, but gee, what a player. Just getting better with age.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #2203 on: February 15, 2021, 11:52:41 pm »
+2
Kinda embarrassing to complain about the quality of the pitch then have the other team's number 8 score a hundred.

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
« Reply #2204 on: February 22, 2021, 09:33:35 pm »
All I am going to say." Aus vs NZ.
Discuss