Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 07:34:46 pm

Author Topic: Accelerated Maths Program Mac.Rob  (Read 9678 times)  Share 

FlyWithoutWings

Accelerated Maths Program Mac.Rob
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »
Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you are at Mac.Rob/know of someone at Mac.Rob, who has done the Accelerated Maths Test (yr 8 - yr 9)
What is on the test? (especially on the problem solving area) What do you need to know? How many questions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Mac.Robertson Girls' High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
Re: Accelerated Maths Program Mac.Rob
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »
+1
Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you are at Mac.Rob/know of someone at Mac.Rob, who has done the Accelerated Maths Test (yr 8 - yr 9)
What is on the test? (especially on the problem solving area) What do you need to know? How many questions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I think this might be a bit late, but I'll still post my reply just in case someone else is interested.

Firstly, I'll do a bit of clarification about what the accelerated maths program at Mac.Rob is all about. The program is primarily for people who are exceptional in the area of maths and have the advanced background knowledge, capabilities and thinking skills to skip year 9 maths and do year 10 maths instead. So what's the purpose of this acceleration program? It's basically aimed at students who are wishing to undertake units 3/4 methods in year 11. So that means in year 10, you'll be doing units 1/2 methods. Now in terms of form groups, they don't segregate the non-accelerated maths students and the accelerated maths students. When it's maths period, the people in your class who do accelerated maths just go to their accelerated maths class.

Now approximately 90 year 8 students sit Mac.Rob's accelerated maths program exam and they are all vying for 75 places. The 90 who are selected are the mostly the top scorers in the mathematics section of the Mac.Rob/meblourne high entrance exam plus a few others who have applied to sit for the accelerated exam.

There are two exams overall and they give you exam 1 to do first and then exam 2. It takes about 3 hours to do both exams.

Exam 1 is short answer and multiple choice. I found exam one the most easiest. It covers year 8 work so stuff like simultaneous equations, linear equations, basic geometry. It's similar to what you got in the entrance exam.

Exam 2 is the more challenging paper, it contains 5 worded scenarios with a series of mini questions in each one. The questions require you to apply mathematical logic to come up with a solution that satisfies the premises. Again, questions are based off the year 8 mathematical curriculum.

Mac.Rob's accelerated maths program exam was only implemented in 2008 as before, they would just offer the places to students who were the top 75 scorers in the mathematics section of the entrance exam and have accepted a place at Mac.Rob. So I guess the exam just makes sure that the people who are in the accelerated maths class did not just fluke an exam and it gives opportunity to other students who didn't score as high.

If you don't get in the accelerated maths class, don't despair. It doesn't mean you're not good at maths. Just think of it as an opportunity to strenghthen your foundations and getting accepted into Mac.Rob in the first place is a great adjustment itself. Not all students in the accelerated maths class end up doing units 3/4 methods in year 11. Some people repeat 1/2 methods in year 11 or they just take a break on methods for a year before picking it up in year 12.

Hope that helps :)

EDIT: i've heard that the questions have changed since I did the test but the questions will still be based on the year 8 curriculum
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:54:32 pm by azngirl456 »
2010: Biology
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +588
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 06:49:38 pm »
Isn't it based on the entrance exam?

And all it does is get you into 3/4 methods in yr 11? :X
vce: english, methods, spesh, chemistry, physics, geography.

ex admin/mod/partner

2010: Melbourne High School (VCE)
2011 - 2016: Monash University BComm/BEng (Hons)

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 06:53:01 pm »

Just out of curiosity, is there reason MHS doesn't adopt a similar program?  (sorry to hijack)

(all we have is a 'maths extension group', which is rubbish)

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 07:09:52 pm »
MHS maths teachers are already on overload unfortunately, though I feel the school is obliged to do something as part of their joke of a "curriculum review". Aside from running "being a better man" programs, hiring more staff in the maths department is the easiest way to do this. You'll find that the school has been hiring more than it has been letting go (within the maths dept.), so I think once the national curriculum is applied, the school will allow put in something like this.

Additionally, our ex-principal says that the system is "working" as it is, so if it isn't broken, why fix it? MHS needs to stop acting as if it's trying to revolutionize education when really we're one of the most conservative schools out.

I know some national mod may read this and go OMG GRAVEDIG MUST LOCK, but please don't, accelerated maths is a good thing to talk about.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 07:11:26 pm by taiga »

ex admin/mod/partner

If you guys have any concerns/suggestions for making ATARNotes a better place, don't hesitate to PM me.

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:16:00 pm »
+1

Yes, it is loosely based on the entrance exam, the top 90 scorers in the maths section (not including the numerical reasoning section) have to sit another test to get into the accelerated maths program. before 2008, they just went by the maths scores from the entrance exam

And yes, from observation and from the word of friends, that's the sole benefit of being in the accelerated maths class-doing 3/4 methods earlier. But the class doesn't suit everyone because because about half the people don't choose to do it earlier.

As with MHS, you guys would still be topping maths in VCe/other related maths competitions with/without an accelerated maths program
2011: English | English Language | Chemistry | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Psychology

taiga

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 10:20:12 pm »
Aah good to see they changed it. The entrance exam isn't always a good option either. One of my friends got into accelerated maths after the entrance exam, but decided that she was better with arts/performing arts, and ended up getting a 30 in methods due to simply not being able to do it.

ex admin/mod/partner

azngirl456

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 01:35:02 pm »
Aah good to see they changed it. The entrance exam isn't always a good option either. One of my friends got into accelerated maths after the entrance exam, but decided that she was better with arts/performing arts, and ended up getting a 30 in methods due to simply not being able to do it.

Before year 9 begins, they give you the option of accepting or rejecting a place in the accelerated maths class. But most people just accept it because it might be one of those things you regret if you don't 'strike while the iron is hot'

I think the entrance exam is a fair test because it measures aptitude and potential. But too bad it doesn't measure work ethic, motivation or personal development. Some people have the intelligence but they're just not applying it to a useful extent where they could be helping people or promoting for a great cause.