Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:33:51 am

Poll

Has tutoring increased your grades? If so, around how much (%)?

50% +
50%
40%
30%
20%
10%
5%
2%
None
It decreased my grades

Author Topic: Has tutoring increased your grades?  (Read 13438 times)  Share 

THem

Re: Has tutoring increased your grades?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 03:30:54 pm »
Would the tutor be able to point out all these small things that would make a major difference on your score? ( For someone such as that doctor guy, he would as he's specifically looking to help students that are already achieving high scores but what if a good student is unable to get such a tutor?)

Isn't accessibility besides the point? I'm just giving an example of a tutor that can help high-scoring students. And yes, he definitely can. He pointed out many mistakes in the work of people who eventually got 45+, including some who got 50. I think it's relevant because there is no point finding out that there are tutors out there that can help students that would already achieve high scores if they can't "use" their services.
So thats why I said I was referring to most cases because a lot of students who could achieve around a 40 may want a tutor that can help improve their standards but may not be able to get such a tutor

Would you need to( or know to) question them about every single thing to find it out or would they actually just tell you as you cover the topic?
( I guess this depends on the actual tutor)

You just go through the course entirely, ask the students on what they know, test them to see whether they really do know it, and then point out these small things as you go. That's how most tutors (at this level at least) would teach.

I think for a majority of things, you would be able to find the "correct" way of setting out your work ( following text book examples, study guide examples, teachers advice, notes online etc). What other kinds of small things would you be referring to?

I can comfortably say most people actually don't after having seen my friends' work, and having been a tutor. It's not something people pay much attention to, either in maths/science calculations, or in short answer questions. Other small things include short cuts in Maths, little technicalities in wording to avoid in subjects such as Biology and the things to pay attention to when writing essays in English.
This is what I was referring to as getting a tutor motivates you to study. A lot of people over look the small things because they "cant be bothered" to try and find the best way of doing things. If a student is really "motivated", they would take the initiative to find "good ways" of setting things out and so forth

I'm not saying there isn't any benefit of getting a tutor even if you're performing well but I think, it's not very noticeable in most cases.
My original post was kind of referring to sacs, where I found that nothing I learnt outside was really helpful.

You're equating what happened to yourself as what you think would occur in 'most cases'. I'm not sure whether it's just that I had a lucky run with good tutors, but I'm assuming and hope that most people have tutors that actually do the things I've pointed out above. I'm sure plenty of tutors on VN do this.
I'm not equating my own personal experience to most cases. I'm saying that those classes you're referring to have limited spots and there are a lot more 90%+ students than there are tutors that focus on helping high achieving students.

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 03:42:31 pm »
I still don't see accessibility as a relevant factor. Your question was whether or not a tutor can help a high-end student and I think I've shown the answer is yes. Besides, if people are interested, they are around and there's space. I joined half way through the year to both of mine. Not to mention my tutors aren't the only ones doing this. My English tutor had ONE selective class, but ran like 4 others. I also know of a tutor in Kew that charges $100 per hour or something along those lines who apparently has never had a student get under 40. Like half of MHS/McRob probably went to Jacks/TSFX/Kevin's. I'm sure that plenty of student tutors even on VN can also improve high-end students as well. I basically teach exactly what my tutor taught me (although at an extremely discounted price), and that's why I successfully ran those workshop sessions over the mid-sem break. The opportunities are there if you look for them.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

THem

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 03:54:02 pm »
I still don't see accessibility as a relevant factor. Your question was whether or not a tutor can help a high-end student and I think I've shown the answer is yes. It wasn't a question, I stated that I think it doesn't help much because in most cases, people won't even be able to get a hold of these tutors. It was more the person who made the thread that had the question of how much it helps. Besides, if people are interested, they are around and there's space. I joined half way through the year to both of mine. Not to mention my tutors aren't the only ones doing this. My English tutor had ONE selective class, but ran like 4 others. I also know of a tutor in Kew that charges $100 per hour The majority of people wouldn't even pay half of this for their tutors. You've made it sound like that those "good" tutors that can help these students probably charge a lot of money. What if they are good students but don't have the money to pay for it? Even if they do, I doubt most people would even want to pay that much. So once again, I'm referring to "most", not whether it's a possibility or something along those lines who apparently has never had a student get under 40. Like half of MHS/McRob probably went to Jacks/TSFX/Kevin's. I doubt these people/companies are able to point out those very small things. It's more like a class room environment ( such as school), so if they could cover it, there is no reason why your school teacher wouldn't be able to do it. I'm sure that plenty of student tutors even on VN can also improve high-end students as well. I basically teach exactly what my tutor taught me (although at an extremely discounted price), and that's why I successfully ran those workshop sessions over the mid-sem break. The opportunities are there if you look for them. You're own tutor was probably very expensive and I did see that workshop you ran. You said it was a lot cheaper than what your normally charge your students but for a lot of people, it wouldn't seem cheap. On top of this, you probably would of studied only a few of the texts yourself. I don't know anyone that actually went so I can only generalise for this specific event but would you have been able to point out all those very small details, unique points that are relevent to a large variety of different texts and contexts? It may just be that you're good at english but I doubt it's possible that you have heavily analysed every single novel/context that you've had to "tutor" someone for at the length you studied for your own. So in that case, a high achieving student could know a lot about their own novel/context and the tutor can help but not necessarily that much.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:57:37 pm by THem »

Over9000

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Loves the banter
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »
I think it increased my grades by 1.6.
Gundam 00 is SOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD I cleaned my room

VCE 200n(where n is an element of y): Banter 3/4, Swagger 3/4, Fresh 3/4, Fly 3/4

squance

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 07:31:45 pm »
Tutoring for me...well it didn't really help me that much since I was somewhat lazy in my work and was not motivated.
The tutor would explain things to me in more detail than what was presented in the lectures

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2009, 12:22:19 pm »
I also know of a tutor in Kew that charges $100 per hour or something along those lines who apparently has never had a student get under 40.

That's really impressive.  What subject(s) did they tutor? 

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 05:53:37 pm »
I would argue that tutoring indirectly increases your grade through things like motivation and confidence (a big one).

Lots of my students are already capable -- they just don't realise it, or believe in themselves. Their low goals are their primary problem a lot of the time.

This is why I believe my role has evolved over time into one of a mentoring role, over a tutoring role. I have needed to develop interpersonal skills along with the technical academic skills I already had.

Employers lap this story up, and it's true. (Note to self: mention this more in my interviews, and less about Merspi.)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:56:26 pm by Collin Li »

ngRISING

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 12:06:03 pm »
personally. i hated methods. i got between 40-55% on sacs. i remember on one sac i got 39.5%. after getting private tutoring, i began picking up methods well and starteed getting 70-80%.
2008: Further Maths & LOTE
2009: English Language, Psychology, Maths Methods, Business Management and Physics
2010: Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash!
2011: Bachelor of Business-Logistics & Supply Chain Management (applied)

Employed by NAB.

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 02:36:39 pm »
I feel that tuition is unnecessary for subjects like Methods, Chem, Physics, Accounting and Biology. This is because hard work and effort practically guarantees a good score.

I didn't take tuition for Methods, Chem or Accounting and still did well in Methods, and ranked 1 for Chem and Acc at my school. Absolutely no need to take tuition for Further Maths. It shows that perseverance is the most important in maximising grades. For subjects like English/English language it might help because you need constant feedback.
Raw Scores:
Psychology 50 | Mathematical Methods 49 | Further Mathematics 49 | Accounting 49 | Chemistry 44 | English 43
ATAR: 99.75

shinny

• VN MVP 2010
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +256
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2008
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 02:41:22 pm »
I feel that tuition is unnecessary for subjects like Methods, Chem, Physics, Accounting and Biology. This is because hard work and effort practically guarantees a good score.

This might be true for you, but many people don't understand the concepts in Methods and Chem for example, in which case a tutor is the best option. It really comes on a case-by-case basis I guess.
MBBS (hons) - Monash University

YR11 '07: Biology 49
YR12 '08: Chemistry 47; Spesh 41; Methods 49; Business Management 50; English 43

ENTER: 99.70

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 02:47:38 pm »
This is because hard work and effort practically guarantees a good score.

*cries*

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 02:50:46 pm »
Hmm that's true, shinny. Some concepts in Methods are difficult to get, especially if you don't have enough time to spend on the theory section.

Raw Scores:
Psychology 50 | Mathematical Methods 49 | Further Mathematics 49 | Accounting 49 | Chemistry 44 | English 43

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 02:51:08 pm »
How come, SmRandmAzn?
Raw Scores:

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 02:57:45 pm »
How come, SmRandmAzn?

I think I worked reasonably hard, but I somehow don't think it'll get reflected in scores >_>

I still kind of regret not getting a tutor for Science/Maths, particularly Chem and Methods.

Ilovemathsmeth

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 03:00:54 pm »
Aww I'm sure it will have paid off!

I'm not sure if my hard work has this year, I make the stupidest mistakes in my exams :( :(

Hope it'll be reflected in your scores! I worked so much for Accounting, but I still went and screwed up the exam :(
Raw Scores: