Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 03:03:25 am

Author Topic: 2010 Hawker Scholarships  (Read 1144 times)  Share 

kat148

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +16
2010 Hawker Scholarships
« on: November 01, 2009, 11:31:42 pm »
Something of interest my school career advisor sent :)

2010 HAWKER SCHOLARSHIPS

"The 2010 C.A.S. Hawker Scholarships open on December 7th and close on January 8th 2010. The scholarships, valued at up to $60,000.00 over four years, are the most generous privately funded scholarships available to undergraduate and postgraduate students in Australia.

The C.A.S. Hawker Scholarships are available to Australian students to study at a large number of Universities and Colleges. An application form, scholar profiles, including the seven recipients in 2009, FAQs and the remarkable life story of C.A.S. Hawker can be found on the website

www.hawkerscholarship.org

Information is available by contacting the secretary to the Trustees on (08) 8127 1654. Selection is based largely on personal qualities as well as academic ability.

The scholarships commemorate the memory of scholar, soldier, pastoralist and statesman Charles Allan Seymour Hawker. The life story of C.A.S. Hawker was aired on ABC TV’s Landline in October last year. The story coincided with the 70th anniversary of the death of C.A.S. Hawker in the Kyeema air disaster.

Year 12 students who know they have shown commitment to school and/or community activities and are strong in their studies should investigate these lucrative scholarships and apply in early December to be a “Hawker Scholar” in 2010."

humph

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +16
Re: 2010 Hawker Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:24:58 am »
Most of the 2007 Hawker scholars are friends of mine :) There are about 5 or 6 who go to Burgmann college at ANU (the Hawker Scholarship for ANU students includes free accommodation there). When you read the descriptions of each student though you'll notice that they were all high achievers at high school as well as doing a ludicrous amount of extra-curricular activities, as well as being (for the most part) very politically driven. Most of them still are that way too - my friend Ellen gets extremely high marks and is (still) a very successful debater and mooter. Also the scholarship seems to be quite biased towards Law students... ;)
Hmmm by the looks of it, I know at least one scholar from each year between 2005 and 2009. Crazy.
VCE 2006
PhB (Hons) (Sc), ANU, 2007-2010
MPhil, ANU, 2011-2012
PhD, Princeton, 2012-2017
Research Associate, University College London, 2017-2020
Assistant Professor, University of Virginia, 2020-

Feel free to ask me about (advanced) mathematics.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
Re: 2010 Hawker Scholarships
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:46:12 pm »
Yeah, Burgmann is full of them. If you get a Hawker Scholarship, it is definitely worth going to Burgmann. It's a pretty awesome scholarship too, in terms of what they offer!