Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:34:09 am

Poll

Author Topic: .  (Read 9125 times)  Share 

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: What do you want to do next?
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 04:11:44 am »
+4
Wish i knew..

I feel like my progression to this point has been more "stumbling into things" and less of a "well planned and carved path". Originally wanted to do IT in highschool, entertained med for a bit, wound up in science. Wanted to transfer to UoM cause i still believed the whole prestige thing plus it was closer (-1 hour off my time). Did a whole bunch of prereqs i never wanted to do because i was still entertaining medicine (chemistry, anatomy, math, etc) and got smashed to bits, probably because i didnt even want to be there. If i could turn back the clock on that i would. Turns out i never really wanted to do medicine all along and i decided to stay in Monash science (which was only meant to be temporary).

I do love pharmacology but do i love it enough to research it for the rest of my life? I honestly don't know. I dont think it'll make me over the moon happy but almost no job will, everyone needs to get a profession sooner or later right. I just hope this isn't another stumbling move. My marks are high enough to get into honour as is but im contemplating adding on a diploma of arts so i can explore my other interests a bit longer, that is probably my next move. Even that i'm not sure about though, this is all mega stressful and existential.

I'm not sure if there's been a poll for this before but there is now!

When I see in your sigs that you're doing BBiomed/BSc, for whatever reason I just assume that means you're planning on doing either Engineering or Med. Honestly until late last year I didn't even really know what Honours/MPhil/PhD meant... Similarly for BCom students I assume you are looking at doing IB/MC. Clearly this is very shortsighted so I thought it might be interesting to ask what you want to do and why?

Wow, you went from Marine Biology to (planning to go into) architecture? What motivated your decision there, it's a fairly big switch but i definitely commend it if its what will make you happy!

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Valjean

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 10:36:02 am »
+1
Wow, you went from Marine Biology to (planning to go into) architecture? What motivated your decision there, it's a fairly big switch but i definitely commend it if its what will make you happy!

Hahaha no I'm doing Urban Planning for undergrad then a Juris Doctor postgrad  :D My sig is a Seinfeld reference (Click 2014-2016 and 2017-2019 for a youtube link)  :P :P :P
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:40:42 am by Seinfeld »

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 09:03:45 pm »
Well at the moment i'm currently half way through my IT degree. My plan is to enter the MTeach at either Monash or UoM depending on whereever I get into. I've had the same goal set out for quite a long time.. These are the only two places I am aware of (other than La Trobe Bendigo) that offer IT as a teaching method, so I'm basically forced to choose one of them (was planning on it anyway).

There is a certain part of me however, that questions whether I should be doing what I'm good at (that is, IT) or going with what I've wanted to do for quite a while (teach). Obviously in the long run, going with something I enjoy is best. But, especially with programming, I score extremely high (this is probably the only area of IT I score extremely high in - the rest are just 'meh' scores).. and with developer/programming jobs, the pay is very decent which obviously I have to take into account as well.

That being said, I hope the perception of teaching changes in the future - in the sense that teacher quality dramatically improves and entry scores/requirements are increased (at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels), and the profession is not seen as a fallback career.

It's strange. I hear about many people swapping and changing degrees/totally changing pathways all the time @ uni.. I guess i've never really had that massive swing away from the two areas - IT/education.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 09:25:11 pm »
+1
Finish PhD, then academia =]
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

Ballerina

• well butter my bottom and call me a biscuit
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Riefe Sie dr Polizei!
  • Respect: +169
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2014, 05:54:58 pm »
Hahaha no I'm doing Urban Planning for undergrad then a Juris Doctor postgrad  :D My sig is a Seinfeld reference (Click 2014-2016 and 2017-2019 for a youtube link)  :P :P :P

Oh my God lol that is amazing. You could meet up with the user Art Vandelay, over at the Monash subforum.

I was wondering why you had Bachelor of Science in your signature when you're a Bachelor of Environments student who is transferring to a Bachelor of Commerce. I just assumed you were a complex guy.

kandinsky

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2014, 12:05:57 pm »
+4
1. Undergraduate: study languages (Classical Greek, Latin, Syriac, Arabic)
2. do a second undergraduate degree: study more languages: Persian, Urdu, Sanskrit
3. do a PhD somewhere : study more languages (Turkish, Tibetan, other Indian/Semitic dialects...)
4. Live as a hermit/monk/holy man in the Himalayan foothills for a few years, meditating and living off the land. Travel in disguise through the mountains of Afghanistan, through Georgia around the Black Sea and into Turkey, passing through all the Ancient Hittite towns. Avoid being killed by rebels. Write some books. Do a linguistic analysis of tribal dialects (?)
5. Do the same in Africa. Sail up the Nile, visit the Tassili Frescoes. Journey through the Sahara on a camel.
6. Become an academic  (?)
7. Write more books
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:11:27 pm by kandinsky »