Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:04:10 am

Poll

Author Topic: .  (Read 9142 times)  Share 

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Re: What do you want to do next?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 12:22:19 am »
Can I assume this isn't just directed at UoM students? If so, can I move this to Gen Uni Discussion?
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 12:38:50 am »
Can I assume this isn't just directed at UoM students? If so, can I move this to Gen Uni Discussion?

Go for it imo!

I'm really not sure. I'm starting a third year research project next semester - if that goes well, I'll do my honours with that group (I'm optimistic, but we'll see.) I've heard from others that it's important to move to a different group at some point - either at the end of Honours, or when you do a postdoc. It shows that you're able to up and move and acclimatise to a new group. I'm about to leave a group which I've spent the last year with - I can definitely see what you mean in wanting to say :P

ANU is listed because I've got family up there, and Canberra's a great city. Otherwise, I'd probably go to the states.

Anyway, I'll do honours and then we'll see. I did a UROP project which I enjoyed a lot (much more then I thought I would,) any first/second years reading this who are interested in biomedical research should definitely apply. Otherwise probably go into APS grad programs or the like.

Yeah, it's definitely important to move - my decision to stay with my current group for PhD is because I really like the lab environment there, know how much I dislike it in other places /cough UROP placement, and fail to see how I would move to a 'better' lab within Australia considering how great mine is in the Immuno field, but also it's even difficult to move to 'better' labs internationally...so I figure it would be good to stay longer, all things considered.  At the end of my PhD I will definitely try to move to the US for my postdoc.  Originally I had thought I wanted to do my PhD in America but with all the fucking around it takes, I don't have time during Honours to commit (eg GRE, billions of applications) and that would mean being in limbo for a while if I took extra time to apply.  Also, I don't think I will have any publications coming out of the end of this year and certainly didn't in UROP so I don't think I would be entirely competitive for the schools I would be aiming for at this stage.  Definitely better to wait until postdoc for me, but let me know how your search goes in terms of o/s study if you do decide to go down that path as early as a PhD, I'd be super interested :)

Most of the people here who have gone to US for PhD have been in either mathematics or the physical sciences - it probably isn't /so/ greatly different from life science programs but it would still be good to hear some stories from those on our side of the science fence.

Out of curiosity, where was your UROP placement based and will your third year project be with an internal UoM department or an associate institute?
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 12:07:47 pm »
I'm thinking:

BBiomedSc/BSc --> Honours --> PhD (and/or) MD/MBBS and MPH, something completely different or actually get off my arse and get a job

Not entirely sure that I want to do medicine, but I've really enjoyed the (pseudo-)clinical aspects of what I've learnt so far - and I think I'd only want to do research if it was supplemented by something else. I'll make a decision at some point I suppose!

I also like the idea of the JD/LLB but there's really only so much student debt that I can reasonably accrue before things start getting a bit ridiculous haha
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »
If you're not getting an MD/JD/MPH/MBA/MHA/LLM then you aren't even trying.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=46525530&authType=name&authToken=1Aqx&trk=prof-sb-browse_map-name

eep, your link is just directing me to a linkedin login page!

I think I'll do several doctorates, move to Germany, then make use of my right to have multiple "Dr." prefixes like Prof. Dr. Dr. Dr. h. c. Michael Ungethüm, a german medical technician. (yes this is a real person)
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 03:00:31 pm »

90+FTW

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 06:13:30 pm »
+1
What to do next? Ah, well then.

1)Complete my Undergraduate
2)Enter the JD
3)Complete a BCL at Oxford University

Same old dream, and might I just say, that it's wonderful to see other aspiring JD students.

"aut inveniam viam aut faciam"

mark_alec

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 07:42:06 pm »
+1
Phase 1. Complete PhD (~4 more years).
Phase 2. ???
Phase 3. Profit.

Ballerina

• well butter my bottom and call me a biscuit
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Riefe Sie dr Polizei!
  • Respect: +169
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »
+4
Please tell me how to profit from a PhD ;__________;

Hancock

• SUPER ENGINEERING MAN
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +270
  • School: Ringwood Secondary College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 08:30:46 pm »
+7

Cure cancer in your PhD.
Thinking of doing Engineering? - Engineering FAQs

2012 - 2014: B.Sc. - Mechanical Systems - The University of Melbourne
2014 - 2014: Cross-Institutional Study - Aero/Mech Engineering - Monash University
2015 - 2016: M.Eng (Mechanical with Business) - The University of Melbourne
2015 - Sem1: Exchange Semester - ETH Zurich

vithvith

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Glen Waverley
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 08:32:37 pm »
Yep I can, but I think I'd like to get some clinical experience first and pick a field so that my research can actually help me down the road haha. I'm liking a lot of things! Cardio, neuro, renal, endo all seem great! Not sure between adult med or paeds yet either, so many choices D: 99% sure not surgery, but with 17 weeks of surgery coming up for me who knows!

Sorry pi, but could you tell me more about your experience during the paediatric rounds? Why are u not sure...is it harder in anyway?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 08:43:23 pm »

One gets a PhD to sound impressive, not profit. :P

Ballerina

• well butter my bottom and call me a biscuit
  • Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Riefe Sie dr Polizei!
  • Respect: +169
  • School: University of Melbourne
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 09:18:33 pm »
If I cured cancer I'd probably just forget to patent it :'D

One gets a PhD to sound impressive, not profit. :P

Haha. I guess that's a bit subjective and contextual from different angles. There's very slight stigma attached to Australian PhDs as they take ~4 years while others (such as those in the U.S) take ~7 years, but fortunately that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue anymore. I'd like a PhD because it's key for research + it means I don't have to acquire a genuine job and enter the real world for another 6 years, but the narrow market for life sciences research is depressing.

mahler004

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 09:27:05 pm »
Originally I had thought I wanted to do my PhD in America but with all the fucking around it takes, I don't have time during Honours to commit (eg GRE, billions of applications) and that would mean being in limbo for a while if I took extra time to apply.  Also, I don't think I will have any publications coming out of the end of this year and certainly didn't in UROP so I don't think I would be entirely competitive for the schools I would be aiming for at this stage.  Definitely better to wait until postdoc for me, but let me know how your search goes in terms of o/s study if you do decide to go down that path as early as a PhD, I'd be super interested :)

Out of curiosity, where was your UROP placement based and will your third year project be with an internal UoM department or an associate institute?

Yeah, I've heard there's a bit of messing around involved. I'll have to see how I go with Honours before I can know for sure. I'd probably want a solid paper in order to get into a good university (i.e. equivalent or better then what I'd be able to get into in Australia.) I also want to live outside Australia at some point, and it's good opportunity to do just that.

I don't really want to dox myself :P My UROP project was at an associated institute (not UoM based,) while my third year project will be with a member of the biochemistry department. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.
BSc (Hons) 2015 Melbourne

PhD 2016-??? Melbourne

I want to be an architect.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »
+1
Haha. I guess that's a bit subjective and contextual from different angles. There's very slight stigma attached to Australian PhDs as they take ~4 years while others (such as those in the U.S) take ~7 years, but fortunately that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue anymore. I'd like a PhD because it's key for research + it means I don't have to acquire a genuine job and enter the real world for another 6 years, but the narrow market for life sciences research is depressing.

Wooooah, what. D: No wonder all the researchers in the US are so old...

I was joking however, hahah. I'll probably end up getting a PhD. :P Granted, sometimes it does seem that they don't get paid as much as they might warrant (although getting paid while doing it is definitely a nice bonus, hahah). So true with research, though - everyone seems to think you have to go into a research if you get a science degree, but you're probably not going to get into research unless you have PhD - honours/masters, at the least.

cameronp

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • grumpy old man
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 10:37:46 pm »
"Looking impressive" is probably the worst reason to do a PhD ever. "Because I don't want to enter the real world" isn't much better (but I assume you were at least half-joking about that one).

Most European PhDs take a similar length to Australian ones, and lot of the extra length of American PhDs is made up of coursework. I think if I were to do a PhD overseas, I'd be looking at Britain or continental Europe rather than the USA. (Having EU citizenship also sways me in that direction!)

I thought life sciences research was one of the best funded disciplines? Certainly better than, say, humanities or pure maths.
BSc (Pure Mathematics) @ UWA, '04-'09
Postgraduate Diploma in Science (Mathematics and Statistics) @ UniMelb, '14
Master of Science (Statistics and Stochastic Processes) @ UniMelb, '15-'16