Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:59:26 am

Author Topic: New Student? Read this.  (Read 127818 times)  Share 

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Here to listen and help
  • Respect: +324
Re: New Student? Read this.
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »
hey fellas when are the subject selections due in?

Census date is 31 March for semester 1 subjects.  After this date, if you decide to drop a subject, it will appear as a Fail on your academic transcript and you will have to pay for it. 

But in any case, it's not like high school where you have a "due date".  You can drop the subject on the last day of the semester if you want.  No one is going to stop you, I think.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

mikee65

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2011, 12:07:58 am »
Dont lectures start 28th?

mikee65

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2011, 12:18:14 am »
Is it in second semester? If it is, you can do it after completing Ideas and Practice in first semester.

The three major pieces were: poetry, creative non fiction and regular fiction
So poetry wasnt that bad? creative non fiction seems like a paradox

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2011, 12:29:48 am »
You can enrol and unenrol in subjects any time before the census date, which you can find on the website and is after lectures start. Just enrol in everything a week or two before uni starts at the latest and you'll be fine.

mikee65

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2011, 01:01:15 am »
You can enrol and unenrol in subjects any time before the census date, which you can find on the website and is after lectures start. Just enrol in everything a week or two before uni starts at the latest and you'll be fine.
Alright cool, I still refining my subjects, since on academic day its unlikely that ill get to have a one on one, would making another appointment be pointless as they'll jut tell me to check over the handbook?

/

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2011, 01:05:32 am »
Yeah. Student centres are really only there for bureaucratic purposes, such as processing credit applications, prerequisite waivers and transfers. Everything you need is in the handbook. AAD is really just about going to lectures and getting a feel for what it's like to be a uni student. The uni just finds it convenient to throw bits of information about subjects at you. The only people who will really get a lot out of it are people who hadn't bothered to find out about subjects at all, since they basically just read the handbook entries to you over the course of the lectures with a few motivational pictures and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 01:08:04 am by rustic_metal »

mikee65

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2011, 01:10:34 am »
Well the motivational posters will make all the difference aha

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »
Just remember this:  If you want to change subjects, just drop it in the portal under the "Admin" tab.  Then add the subject of your choice.  That's what you call "changing".

Took me ages to figure that one out.

Bachelor of Science (Mathematics & Statistics) - Discrete Mathematics & Operations Research

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2011, 09:09:54 pm »
I have a few questions :O

1. Is it worth joining the union?

2. Is it worth getting a locker? (and is there any place i can rent one, either temporary or yearly, other than the union and sports centre thing)

3. Can i get a The Age 2011 Tertiary Card without being a union member?

Thanks! :)

mikee65

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »
Gloam says census is 31 march, calendar says Semester 1 (12 teaching weeks) including:    Monday 28 February - Sunday 29 May, maybe im reading it wrong

Also were can we pick up the SSS showbags??

rustic_metal

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2011, 09:36:56 pm »

2. Is it worth getting a locker? (and is there any place i can rent one, either temporary or yearly, other than the union and sports centre thing)

1. Yes it's definitely worth joining the union. We run a free bbq every tuesday, have a computing centre upstairs so you'll never have to wait to use them, will save you a over 50% on joining clubs & societies, often save you $20 or more on tickets to events, etc. I made my union membership fees back many times over the course of last year. :)

2. Talk to envi, the environments society. The old postgrad society, apple, used to have a ridiculous number of lockers in the architecture building, but they collapsed. Pretty sure they've handed control of the lockers over to envi, though. That's where I'd go if I wanted a locker.

3. No idea.

Gloam says census is 31 march, calendar says Semester 1 (12 teaching weeks) including:    Monday 28 February - Sunday 29 May, maybe im reading it wrong

Also were can we pick up the SSS showbags??

Yeah the census date is during semester, so you can change subjects after uni starts if you find you don't like them.

We'll be in a few different locations tomorrow if you're after a showbag. You'll find us eventually. If you're struggling, just ask somebody with a bright orange plastic bag where they got it. :P

Edmund

• Dr. Ruler Snapper
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

3. Yeah for about 15 dollars iirc
2007-2008 VCE ATAR 90.15
2009-2011 BSc (Unimelb)
2012-2015 DDS (Unimelb)

Booksale: Drugs That Shape Society, Forests in a Global Context

mankay

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2011, 09:45:03 pm »
Thanks both of you :)

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2011, 09:10:56 am »
I don't think a locker is really worth it. What are you thinking of leaving in there?

I never had a problem that could have been resolved by having a locker, just use your backpack instead.

Gloamglozer

• The Walking VTAC Guide
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2011, 05:14:08 pm »

1.  Along with the reasons above.  In life, when the shit gets damp, the Union can be a VERY powerful resource.  :)