Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:01:48 am

Author Topic: How Tiring Is Studying Medicine ?  (Read 1010 times)  Share 

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
How Tiring Is Studying Medicine ?
« on: July 20, 2019, 10:16:06 pm »
+1
-
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:06:41 pm by Geoo »
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

brothanathan

Re: How Tiring Is Studying Medicine ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 10:17:49 pm »
+3
Got any ambition of becoming Australia's best Food Scientist?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 10:29:29 pm »
+3
Just a question to people who are doing med, or someone who has completed their MD and is practicing medicine.
When I say tiring, I don't mean the "what you study" part. I am referring to how much work and time is required to study medicine and practice it.
I have an illness were I am chronically fatigued, which inhibits my day to day life so much so, that I can't attend normal highschool. I do it online.
I have always liked medicine and have thought of becoming a Dr not only from my personal experience, but with my love of science.

I thought I might be able to manage the workload of a full time or part time load of the degree, but I have heard the hours of residency in 3rd and 4th years are very long and tiring, and I don't think I am able to do that. I have heard that some peoples shifts can be 12 - 16 hours, along with studying for exams.
I haven't even taken into account what expertise I would like to go in, and how much more hours and time that would mean.

Even if I did pass the course, I can't see myself working extremely  long hours. This is not out of laziness, just my condition. I could manage more of a consultation type of job, like how you would see a GP, but I would still need to undergo training.

So you can see my dilemma here. I don't know if I am capable of handling all the hours of studying and practicing medicine, and even if I did get through uni, I don't think any hospital would accept me for residence as I could only work shorter shifts.
Is medicine still possible for me?
I do have my backups, like doing the back end of medicine, whether that is research or maybe pharmaceuticals, i don't know.

you're in a really tight position.
Medicine is known to be a tough course - both mentally and physically draining.

I'm sure there will be some part of medicine that could use your contribution, for now, I would just stick to working hard.

You do make a good point about being hired by a hospital, but dont stress to much about that rn 
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 03:20:13 pm »
+11
Medicine is certainly very demanding, but the willingness of the medical profession to provide reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities is increasing (finally). So I wouldn't discount it as an option simply because of your circumstances, whilst acknowledging that it would be tough.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 07:21:08 pm »
+6
Furthermore, while you're at uni you can register with places like Disability Support Services and they can help modify things like assessment tasks for you to make them more suitable to you. I've been registered with Monash's DSS since first year and have found them super helpful.
Then when it comes to your clinical years, I assume med is similar to physio in that you'd have someone who deals with fitness to practice issues. In my course, they liaise with the places you go on placement to let them know of any adjustments that need to be made, and they can organise things like rest days or shorter days, and they're a point of contact for you to have when you're finding things a bit tough on placement.