Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:21 pm

Author Topic: PSA: Information for 2019 Yr 12's: Unimelb MD 2022 Changes  (Read 1256 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
PSA: Information for 2019 Yr 12's: Unimelb MD 2022 Changes
« on: December 13, 2019, 12:11:52 pm »
+8
https://medicine.unimelb.edu.au/news-and-events/towards-2022-the-new-doctor-of-medicine?fbclid=IwAR3n0Ema6cptHzGnLNJRyoXXheYdc3ybv-nyzktVXwJHwuTzzP5HLx2_R4w

I thought this might be something AN users were interested in given the general med-centric nature of the forums. Hopefully, this will give students more information to make an informed decision on future courses.

These changes are for 2022 so are important for year 12's who have graduated this year as this is postgraduate course and 2019 year 12's will mostly complete their 3-year undergrads in 2022.

A lot of it is really broad information but one thing I think is important is the removal of prerequisites to the MD program which means that science/biomedical degrees are of less importance. In the past you were required to study prerequisite subjects of biochemistry, physiology and anatomy and a 2nd year level which means also having done certain 1st year subjects to be able to complete these 2nd year subjects. I believe in the past you could study other undergrad degrees such as Arts, Commerce, Engineering etc (really anything) but it can be quite difficult to incorporate all the prerequisites subjects within your degree.

Hopefully, this can aid anyone's decision in preferencing courses :)

Also to note: "The Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Doctor of Physiotherapy (DPT) and Doctor of Optometry (OD) have not changed their entry requirements."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:13:34 pm by Sine »

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: PSA: Information for 2019 Yr 12's: Unimelb MD 2022 Changes
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2019, 12:28:21 pm »
+1
https://medicine.unimelb.edu.au/news-and-events/towards-2022-the-new-doctor-of-medicine?fbclid=IwAR3n0Ema6cptHzGnLNJRyoXXheYdc3ybv-nyzktVXwJHwuTzzP5HLx2_R4w

I thought this might be something AN users were interested in given the general med-centric nature of the forums. Hopefully, this will give students more information to make an informed decision on future courses.

These changes are for 2022 so are important for year 12's who have graduated this year as this is postgraduate course and 2019 year 12's will mostly complete their 3-year undergrads in 2022.

A lot of it is really broad information but one thing I think is important is the removal of prerequisites to the MD program which means that science/biomedical degrees are of less importance. In the past you were required to study prerequisite subjects of biochemistry, physiology and anatomy and a 2nd year level which means also having done certain 1st year subjects to be able to complete these 2nd year subjects. I believe in the past you could study other undergrad degrees such as Arts, Commerce, Engineering etc (really anything) but it can be quite difficult to incorporate all the prerequisites subjects within your degree.

Hopefully, this can aid anyone's decision in preferencing courses :)

Also to note: "The Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Doctor of Physiotherapy (DPT) and Doctor of Optometry (OD) have not changed their entry requirements."

Hey Sine so just confirming
To apply for the Doctor of Medicine you only need to the GAMSAT and you're GPA.

So let's say I choose to do an arts degree, as long as I do the GAMSAT I can still apply for Medicine?

Wouldn't I still be at a huge disadvantage, because the GAMSAT is heavily focused on science?
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: PSA: Information for 2019 Yr 12's: Unimelb MD 2022 Changes
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 02:14:38 pm »
+7
-snip-
Great questions that I am sure many people have.

I will copy/paste your questions for ease of answering.

To apply for the Doctor of Medicine you only need to the GAMSAT and you're GPA.
Correct - your GAMSAT/GPA will be used to determine whether you qualify for an interview - then your GAMSAT/GPA/INTERVIEW are used to offer places in the course.

So let's say I choose to do an arts degree, as long as I do the GAMSAT I can still apply for Medicine?
Correct - You can do any bachelors level undergraduate degree - this has actually been the norm for most universities around Australia - unimelb are kind of playing catchup

Wouldn't I still be at a huge disadvantage, because the GAMSAT is heavily focused on science?
This is debatable - Firstly the GAMSAT does have a science section however unimelb actually weights it the least amongst universities (one third) - a few other universities do this as well whilst many other universities give it a 50% weighting. So whilst a science background would help for the science section there are two other sections - writing and humanities which an arts degree would be helpful with.

The debatable part is whether the science background actually helps with the science section - some people say that it is useful for a baseline knowledge which means less confusion when reading questions which helps with time but doesn't help too much in answering questions. This section of the GAMSAT has a lot of logical reasoning and problem solving which just having science knowledge soley is not enough to answer - you need the ability to think, not just the knowledge.