Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:35:21 am

Author Topic: Mac Rob & JMSS yr 10 entry TIPS  (Read 2359 times)  Share 

caqiu

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
Mac Rob & JMSS yr 10 entry TIPS
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:18:24 am »
+3
Hey guys,
So I finally have time to write a forum about JMSS and MR for both the interview and the exam.

MR and JMSS exam weren't that hard, they were quite mediocre. It just had a lot of question. For the MR test I 'finished' all the questions (had to guess around 10 questions, except for verbal and the two writing pieces).

For math just study the yr 9&10 math test books, most of the question are based on these math topics like surds, quadratic equation, linear etc.

For reading, scan the piece and read the questions first. You won't have time to read all the, unless your a fast reader and can take in all the information. I suggest you read some books, just get a random book, open a random page and read it, ask someone to ask some question on the page up you read.

Verbal - look up a list of yr 10 words and look up definition (also helpful for essay writing). I wrote a book full of definitions of words I didn't know. It's quite helpful and will also be useful in the future. Maybe 3-5 words each night.

Numerical - this may have been the most difficult for me. Find some practice questions online.

Essays - search up writing prompts. I wrote heaps for essays before the test. 15 min by the way. This can train you to write in this limited time. Use wide vocabulary, good structure and context, and try your best to finished the essay. One of my essay were pretty bad and I don't think it really followed the topic, don't be like me and keep it relevant and stay on topic.

On the vic education website there are a few practise test for yr nine entry but it is still helpful for yr 10 entry since its kind of similar. There are many other websites that have practise tests. I did alot for them and i also went tutoring at JAC. Don't stress during the test, I drank a lot of water but don't drink to much. Wear warm cloths, it pretty cold in the hall. Its fine if you guess, others will also guess. I guessed b's.

JMSS's test was just a day after MR's test. I never planned to do the test but I needed to have a bigger chance. I didn't really study for it but I went to JAC JMSSs course. It didn't really help, maybe only the essays writing. They made us write 15 min pracs but in the actual test it was 30. I print a few yr 10 science tests but i didn't even do it.

Math and numerical - were kinda easier, I finsed one of them and had to guest 5 on the other, the same as other selective entry test. So read the tips above for MR.

Science - kinda hard but I finishedl. A lot of the question were more logical but also you had to understand what they were asking. Was quite confusing for me. I looked at yr 9&10 science book, not that helpful.

Essays - write out anything and a lot of science laws. I used a one that wasn't quite relevant to the test but just use it. It show your science knowledge.

Interview - were the classical question why you want to come to the school etc.
JMSS asked a few science based ones. They made us to do activities in groups. Speak out and try to lead the group. Didn't really happen for me,  they was two girls in my group who kept on talking and taking over each, if there's some one quiet ask them for them opinions shows your leadership skill.

Don't be nervous, I was really anxious and also wear school uniform and keep a smile on your face for the whole time.

Thanks guys, I rushed writing this and I know there are a lot of mistake, don't have to time to edit it so Yh. Anyways if you have any questions PM me, I may be slow at respond cause I'm really busy.

Thanks good luck!
Caqiu
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:03:01 pm by caqiu »

hegihugo

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
Re: Mac Rob & JMSS yr 10 entry TIPS
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:44:15 am »
THANK YOU SO MUCH...
There is not a lot of information on year 10 entry for selective school.

Hugo

caqiu

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 05:46:26 pm »
THANK YOU SO MUCH...
There is not a lot of information on year 10 entry for selective school.

Hugo
:) all good! Are you doing the test for MHS next year? Cause I think it's different; a written application.

omnidragon101

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 03:59:55 pm »
Do you know how many girls turn up for year 10 selc entry for macrob??