Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 09:19:06 am

Author Topic: Legal Exam Prepartion  (Read 2048 times)  Share 

Olivia Shamoon

Legal Exam Prepartion
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:38:19 pm »
Hi guys, I just wanted to know how can I study effectively for my legal exam? I'm in year 11 and doing legal as a year 12 subject.

Please help :)

Thanks guys!

Rowan98

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Dubbo College Senior Campus
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Legal Exam Prepartion
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:46:51 pm »
All you have to do is plan out your paragraphs for each essay and remember the legislation and main changes

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:55:44 pm »
Hi guys, I just wanted to know how can I study effectively for my legal exam? I'm in year 11 and doing legal as a year 12 subject.

Thanks guys!

All you have to do is plan out your paragraphs for each essay and remember the legislation and main changes

Thanks for helping out Rowan! Olivia, I'll be writing some stuff on this a little closer to the exam, but in the mean time Rowan has you covered. Learn your legislation, practice making strong arguments, and do lots of practice essay plans, practice MC, practice essays; practice practice practice! :)

Olivia Shamoon

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 11:08:43 am »
Hi guys!

For planning essays, do you mean the questions that ask us to evaluate or to what extent? The 10+ mark questions?

Thanks for the help :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 11:10:47 am »
Hi guys!

For planning essays, do you mean the questions that ask us to evaluate or to what extent? The 10+ mark questions?

Thanks for the help :)

Yep exactly!! Sorry essays probably isn't the best word; I'm to engrained in the HSC mindset ;) but yep! Just dot point out your responses to the big questions to see if you have enough memorised to answer them, and if not, study that! :)

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 03:25:53 pm »
+2

Thanks guys!

Memorise all your notes, starting from the key definitions then working towards the more subjective stuff like strengths and weaknesses. Go through short questions, allocating material to each question and knowing where each mark comes from. Practise writing those answers in approx 1 minute per mark. Then select a range of longer questions for every AOS, look at the task word, content and mark allocation - use this to plan a detailed structure. Then write those answers in approx 1.5-2 mins per mark. When you're feeling confident, move to whole exams.

And go through your answers, deleting any repetitive statements, any time you repeat the question, any time you waffle on about unnecessary facts before you get to the important part of the example etc.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

Beamer

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 04:27:15 pm »
Study and memorise some recent/contemporary examples for certain topics (a recent example is considered under 6 years old). A basic example of this is the case Commonwealth v ACT 2013 as an example of s.109 in operation. Examples are an easy way to secure additional marks in a lot of cases, and contemporary examples demonstrate to the marker that you know how to apply the content of the course to recent events that might not be covered in the textbook. The former chief examiner for Legal Studies specifically remarked last year (or the year before) that students should really consider memorising some of these.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:29:32 pm by Beamer »

Olivia Shamoon

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 07:55:25 am »
Thanks for the tip Beamer! I'll be sure to memorise recent examples.