Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:43 pm

Author Topic: COVID-19 and Education  (Read 84099 times)  Share 

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
Re: COVID-19 and Education
« Reply #255 on: August 03, 2020, 05:32:43 pm »
Nothing else changed (at this point at least) for VCE dates and so forth?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #256 on: August 03, 2020, 05:36:42 pm »
+6
Nothing else changed (at this point at least) for VCE dates and so forth?
Nup, exams are the same dates. GAT is, as Arty said, on the 7th of October :)
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2020, 12:24:00 pm »
+4
James Merlino just announced that each student will be individually assessed in regards to the effects of COVID-19. Additionally, an extra $28,500,000 has been allocated to Mental Health resources in schools.
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

brothanathan

« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2020, 12:26:55 pm »
James Merlino just announced that each student will be individually assessed in regards to the effects of COVID-19. Additionally, an extra $28,500,000 has been allocated to Mental Health resources in schools.

Just like the old Victorian HSC system, students being assessed individually. Well, they did scale people's marks up if the bell curve was very low. Very noice

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2020, 12:27:41 pm »
+5
Here is the exact announcement to add on to elise:
"I'm constantly asked about this and constantly being raised concerns from our students and from our schools. This year is like no other, it is an unprecedented year and we need to support our students in an unprecedented way.

"This year we're going to do things very, very differently. What we're announcing today is that every single VCE student will be individually assessed and any adverse impacts from COVID-19 will be reflected in their ATAR ranking.

"This is quite an extraordinary change. So every single student will be individually assessed. We'll look at things such as school closures, we'll look at things such as long absences. We'll look at things, for example, such as significant increase in family responsibilities as a result of COVID-19 and we'll of course consider the mental health and wellbeing of students during this period.

"So all of those factors will be considered. So now, students will go into their VCE exams with the confidence knowing that they will not be disadvantaged as a result of COVID-19.

"They'll go into their exams knowing that their final scores and their ATAR ranking will be a fair reflection of their year, and they will not be disadvantaged as a result of COVID-19.

"This is a way that we can give every student and every parent of a VCE student the comfort and the confidence that their student will receive their final scores that take into account their individual circumstances. It puts them on a level playing field with every student across the state."

My question is, "what does this mean?"
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #260 on: August 07, 2020, 12:31:37 pm »
My question is, "what does this mean?"
I'm not too sure, quite broad. I took it in the way that there is more special consideration, depending on school closures, absences, family pressures and other similar things.
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #261 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:12 pm »
+4
So this is how that will work:

"It'll be individually assessed. Every student is different. We'll work it out at a variety of ways.

"For example, at a school level, for each student, schools will be asked to rank where they expect that student to be right now.

"But they'll also be asked to rank their students if it were not for COVID-19. So both a ranking of where they are at now and where they would have been had it not been for COVID-19 and why.

"Then we'll get all that data from across the state. So we'll have a standardised adjustment. So whether it's a long-term closure, we'll have a standardised way to assess the scores and that will be reflected in the ATAR.

"We'll look at the impact prior to COVID. We'll look at the general achievement test for term 4 and most importantly their VCE exams. But at  school level and an individual student level we're looking at and asking teachers where do you rank your students right now and where would they have been had it not been for COVID-19, and why.

"That's why the message to every single student is that, 'You will be individually assessed. You will be at no disadvantage when you step into the VCE exams at the end of the year.'"
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

brothanathan

« Reply #262 on: August 07, 2020, 12:46:02 pm »
So this is how that will work:

Schools definitely have a clear picture of what people could've done if not for what's occurred. Here we come character references..  :-\

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2020, 12:51:00 pm »
So then what happens for the people who already needed special consideration? Who therefore talked to teachers last year saying, This is what I'm gonna be like next year? Who therefore the teachers already expect not to do as well? The ones where the teacher handed back a decent grade saying that they were very pleasurably surprised by the mark? Teachers who maybe still think of these kids as coasters this year from circumstances outside their control?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

s110820

• QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2020, 03:02:48 pm »
+6
Hey everyone!

I'm not a VCE student but I would like to let you know that the Victorian government have just posted an update about the COVID-19 situation in terms of education. If you would like to read it, I have linked it below: https://www.9news.com.au/national/victoria-year-12-vce-special-consideration-atar-coronavirus-lockdown/f6a7235a-cf8a-4709-8583-6cee216ce19b

I'm not exactly sure how they are going to calculate the VCE ATARs just based on individual assessment but I'm sure that this may help ease some anxiety around graduating this year.

Hopefully, this helps :)

Have a great weekend and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2020, 05:43:00 pm »
+14
It seems like they are selling it as a win-win for everyone when in reality given the way VCE is set up it really can't be.

They say students will be "individually assessed" quite a bit which I think can be a bit misleading if someone is just reading headlines. I think it is good that they are looking at each student's individual circumstances and how the pandemic has impacted everyone but in the end, everyone still gets an ATAR which compares each student against the rest of the state.

The biggest problem with the changes imo are the following:
Teachers will be asked where they rank their students now and where they would have ranked them if it was not for COVID-19.
This is never going to be done well for everyone. Obviously those with a strong relationship with their teachers will benefit quite a bit.

From this, those students who adapted well and possibly outperformed what their teacher's expectations were at the start of the year may be disadvantaged, same goes for those students who maybe didn't do too well in year 11 but focused in for year 12 thus exceeding expectations.

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2020, 06:04:49 pm »
+12
It seems like they are selling it as a win-win for everyone when in reality given the way VCE is set up it really can't be.

They say students will be "individually assessed" quite a bit which I think can be a bit misleading if someone is just reading headlines. I think it is good that they are looking at each student's individual circumstances and how the pandemic has impacted everyone but in the end, everyone still gets an ATAR which compares each student against the rest of the state.

The biggest problem with the changes imo are the following:This is never going to be done well for everyone. Obviously those with a strong relationship with their teachers will benefit quite a bit.

From this, those students who adapted well and possibly outperformed what their teacher's expectations were at the start of the year may be disadvantaged, same goes for those students who maybe didn't do too well in year 11 but focused in for year 12 thus exceeding expectations.
I 100% agree. I personally think it's ridiculous to suggest that teachers can move people's ranks around based on their perceived impact of COVID-19 on individual students. It's ironic that every time they introduce something that is supposed to "alleviate the stress" of students or to "ensure that no one will be disadvantaged", it immediately makes me feel more stressed because we are now leaving things up to subjective judgement by teachers rather than consistency across the state.    That said, I think one of the reasons why they can present it as a win-win is that, barring a massive turning point in the global vaccine hunt, the COVID-19 situation is going to completely block international students from coming to Australian universities next year, leaving heaps of places for domestic students, as long as they meet minimum entry requirements.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2020, 07:19:34 pm »
+8
My immediate thoughts when I heard it agree with the above.  It feels like it's being presented as a generous salvation from on high, when really it changes little and possibly causes more problems.

An ATAR is not an objective exam score - it's a percentile, a comparison or ranking of people within the same system.  The same number of people will get 99.95s and 88.30s and 64.25s under Covid-19 conditions as would have in normal years.  Maybe the average score on the same exam is 60% this year rather than 70% in normal years - but people's ATARs remain the same.  ATARs are also state-based not national, so we're not disadvantaging Victorians compared with Queenslanders, for example.

I understand that some people are far more significantly affected by this than others, but that's always the case.  All you're doing is shuffling round the factors that affect comparative rankings - now it's based more on subjective teacher relationships and expectations than actual performance.  Way to put an unjustifiable burden on already-stretched teachers!

Perhaps the same schools that are more disadvantaged due to poorer online teaching and systems will also have teachers less able to write convincing justifications.

That said, I think one of the reasons why they can present it as a win-win is that, barring a massive turning point in the global vaccine hunt, the COVID-19 situation is going to completely block international students from coming to Australian universities next year, leaving heaps of places for domestic students, as long as they meet minimum entry requirements.

I know *nothing* about this, but I imagine the number of places in each course are based partly on projected employment needs in different industries.  International students may be given extra places because they're more likely to seek employment in other countries and not overburden our workforce (and make things cheaper for the govt as they pay full fee!)  But no idea.
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2020, 07:39:48 pm »
Would this affect non-year 12 students studying a 3/4 subject this year?
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2020, 07:56:32 pm »
Would this affect non-year 12 students studying a 3/4 subject this year?
I'm in the exact same boat. I am under the impression that it will, as for each subject you are ranked against your cohort, while the ATAR is a rank of aggregates.

Can someone please confirm or deny this? I am very confused tbh  ???
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !