Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:06:02 pm

Author Topic: Methods or further - subject selection  (Read 3213 times)  Share 

lin1234

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Methods or further - subject selection
« on: July 25, 2020, 04:52:19 pm »
Hello all,
I am finalising my subjects in the next couple of days and I am really stuck on whether I should do general/Further maths or Maths methods. I am quite strong in the topics that further maths underlies however if I want to ensure I have a pathway in multiple bachelors such as Biomedicine I will need methods as a prerequisite, except of course I do not know if biomedicine is for me or not and I feel like if I decide I do not want to do biomedicine there would be no point in me doing maths methods. As well as this, methods looks quite hard and I am not sure if I can support myself in the intensity of it as I am also thinking of doing chemistry, biology and psychology, as well as Business management and I heard all those subjects can be quite content heavy as well.
please can someone help :'(
Thank you kindly,
India.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: Methods or further - subject selection
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:26:09 pm »
+4
Hello India!

I would personally choose math methods for year 11. It will give you lots more options for (direct) university entrance. If you decide throughout year 11 that methods is too hard or in combination with your other subjects too much to handle, picking up further maths in year 12 without general is very accessible as all content is repeated.

I personally did not do 1/2 general but found it very easy to pick up further 3/4 as the concepts are simple.

Trying to keep your options open is always a good idea but it is easy and perfectly fine to drop to general/further whenever you need!

Eloise :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 06:18:09 pm »
I'd advise - do Methods if you possibly can, as a general rule. Gives you more options etc.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

lin1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:13:38 pm »
Hello India!

I would personally choose math methods for year 11. It will give you lots more options for (direct) university entrance. If you decide throughout year 11 that methods is too hard or in combination with your other subjects too much to handle, picking up further maths in year 12 without general is very accessible as all content is repeated.

I personally did not do 1/2 general but found it very easy to pick up further 3/4 as the concepts are simple.

Trying to keep your options open is always a good idea but it is easy and perfectly fine to drop to general/further whenever you need!

Eloise :)
thank you so much  :) did you do methods and drop it? or did you end up doing methods and keeping it? thanks again ;D

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 07:26:20 pm »
+2
thank you so much  :) did you do methods and drop it? or did you end up doing methods and keeping it? thanks again ;D

I did Methods 1/2 in year 10 and I am now doing Methods 3/4 in year 11. I picked up further 3/4 as another accelerated subject for year 11 and am currently completing both maths' as early 3/4 subjects :)
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

lin1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 07:27:27 pm »
I'd advise - do Methods if you possibly can, as a general rule. Gives you more options etc.
Thank you - would you say methods is enjoyable and can be manageable with other content-heavy subjects?

eloisegrace

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 07:45:24 pm »
+2
Thank you - would you say methods is enjoyable and can be manageable with other content-heavy subjects?
I would say I enjoy it 85% of the time when I am not completely stuck with some weird application question haha. I definitely think it is a great VCE subject and is one of my favourites :). I don't do the most "content-heavy" subjects (chem, eng lang, french are my current 1/2s) however I don't think methods is too content heavy as at least 1/3 of the content is a repeat from year 11 and the rest just an extension besides the probability and statistics unit :). Lots of people manage very "content-heavy" subjects (bio, psych, chem, legal) along w methods fine and sometimes the straightforwardness of maths (one answer) makes it a nice break from content heavy subjects.

Hope that helped!
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !

lin1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 07:56:00 pm »
+1
I would say I enjoy it 85% of the time when I am not completely stuck with some weird application question haha. I definitely think it is a great VCE subject and is one of my favourites :). I don't do the most "content-heavy" subjects (chem, eng lang, french are my current 1/2s) however I don't think methods is too content heavy as at least 1/3 of the content is a repeat from year 11 and the rest just an extension besides the probability and statistics unit :). Lots of people manage very "content-heavy" subjects (bio, psych, chem, legal) along w methods fine and sometimes the straightforwardness of maths (one answer) makes it a nice break from content heavy subjects.

Hope that helped!
Thank you so much! I definitely feel like I will give it a go now because I know if I don't like it, I can always drop it. Thanks for the help :) :)

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 09:04:07 pm »
+1
Doing both Methods and Revolutions (both content-heavy subjects). I'd say it is both enjoyable (if you work hard enough to understand the content) and manageable. At the start of the year, I couldn't do any Methods homework because I was recovering from spinal surgery. Despite the teacher telling me that I wouldn't be able to even pass if I was only working in class, I still managed to learn the content enough that I could easily pick up the slack later on. And I've been enjoying it, mostly.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

lin1234

• Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 09:42:58 pm »
Doing both Methods and Revolutions (both content-heavy subjects). I'd say it is both enjoyable (if you work hard enough to understand the content) and manageable. At the start of the year, I couldn't do any Methods homework because I was recovering from spinal surgery. Despite the teacher telling me that I wouldn't be able to even pass if I was only working in class, I still managed to learn the content enough that I could easily pick up the slack later on. And I've been enjoying it, mostly.
That's amazing! I hope your feeling better too. Are there any tips and tricks you used? I have chosen other subjects that many people describe as content-heavy such as legal, business management, psychology and bio and because of this, I'm not sure how I would handle all of this. Is there any in particular advice seeing you have managed to do well in the end?

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 10:58:16 am »
That's amazing! I hope your feeling better too. Are there any tips and tricks you used? I have chosen other subjects that many people describe as content-heavy such as legal, business management, psychology and bio and because of this, I'm not sure how I would handle all of this. Is there any in particular advice seeing you have managed to do well in the end?
I'd say - if you can, keep up to date in your subjects. Write notes for them. Even if you don't understand the content, writing coherent notes for them so you can come back later and get all the information in one easy place, helps. I didn't write notes for Methods, though, I don't see how you can. But most importantly, keep up to date.
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Marylen

• Forum Regular
  • 'You can live with disappointment but not regret.'
  • Respect: +46
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 12:26:16 pm »
+2
Hello!
As a year 11 student who is undertaking both further and methods, I would highly recommend if you would choose maths methods. Touching upon what eloisegrace has written, methods is prerequisite for many university courses and moreover, it is a very rewarding subject if a student is strong at mathematics due to the scaling.

Further maths is also rewarding and again, touching upon what eloisegrace has written, is a very doable and easily paced subject. I personally found further easy to study ahead for and during the summer holidays, I advanced up to financial maths so I could enter class feeling much more confident.

It all depends on what your prerequisites are and where you place yourself in the world of maths. If you are more into abstract thinking, methods is the way to go. If you enjoy analysing numbers and statistics, further is your best option.
Marylen's VCE journal

2020:
Psych: 40
Further Maths: 39

2021:
Methods, Accounting, English & Chemistry