Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:47:27 am

Author Topic: Is vic uni really that bad?  (Read 37882 times)  Share 

natrox14

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Is vic uni really that bad?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:01 pm »
+1
Yes thank you , someone who understands where im coming from. My father worked at Melbourne Uni for 12 years and it's not all it's cracked up to be.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Overloading, just don't do it.
  • Respect: +631
  • School: Western Suburbs Area
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 10:36:32 pm »
@Panicnode

You could not be more WRONG

How would even know this? Both my parents are university educated, one in the engineering sector and one in the education sector. They both obtained degrees from Melbourne University and on no occasion has the employer cared where they studied. The reality is that in the context of your professional life, Uni represents your first foot steps and you learn about most things pertaining to your job on the job. As a result, they care where you have worked, not where you have studied. Your Uni education counts for absolute zero unless you studied at Harvard or Yale or did something really outstanding.

Source: Both my parents went to uni and now hire people in their respective fields.

That's great for later in life. I'm not exactly part of a wealthy family and I'm looking to launch straight into a job after work. Therefore, I want the best possible chance of employment after I finish my degree. I was simply recommending that in terms of first time in the field employment options, where you studied does matter.
Seconded, in terms of breaking into the industry, it is easier to get in if you have graduated from a higher tier university as I found out with my sister and her friends when applying for teaching jobs. The majority of employers didn't even look at people from VU when comparing them to others when they both didn't have any expirence.
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)
TI-NSPIRE GUIDES: METH, SPESH

Co-Authored AtarNotes' Maths Study Guides

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

BorisPeters

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: -9
  • School: james Ruse
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 10:38:19 pm »
cc
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:01:56 pm by BorisPeters »

BorisPeters

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 10:42:13 pm »
cc
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:01:50 pm by BorisPeters »

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 10:44:07 pm »
Panicmode, once again, you're wrong.

What will get you your first job is a good interview.

Your Uni marks, the Uni you studied at doesn't matter one little bit. I know this because my parents are the ones deciding who gets the job.

What gets you the job is a good interview where you demonstrate that you actually want this job because you love it and are willing to work hard, regardless where you come from.

What university you went to does not mean one little bit, unless you absolutely woo them with a Harvard PhD.

Do you realise every Victorian Uni follows the same curriculum?

b^3, my mother's school prefers Vic uni over Melbourne?
That is one single case, and I'm sure that there are other uni's that prefer vic uni graduates as well. But in general that (refer to previous post) is what we found when she was going for job interviews. I agree that the uni that you went to is not going to get you the job, you have to be right for the job and have to show yourself in the way you want to be percieved.

Just want to point out that in terms of wanting to do the course to enjoy it, the facilites at different uni's are different. You may have access to certain equipment at some that the others don't. e.g. Monash is one of the only uni's in victoria that has a full-sized wind tunnel. Not that you are really going to be involved with it much as an undergrade, unless you do post grad stuff.

EDIT: added bracket after "but in general that"
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:47:02 pm by b^3 »
2012-2016: Aerospace Engineering/Science (Double Major in Applied Mathematics - Monash Uni)

I'm starting to get too old for this... May be on here or irc from time to time.

b^3

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 10:44:47 pm »
b^3:

If you love your job and truly want to work hard to get good at it. You will break into the industry without a sweat because the interviewer will see this and will absolutely not give a shit where you came from.

Other than that, connections help.
Agreed. Although life is tough sometimes, we just have to keep working hard at it.

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:03 pm »
+1
Panicmode, once again, you're wrong.

What will get you your first job is a good interview.

Your Uni marks, the Uni you studied at doesn't matter one little bit. I know this because my parents are the ones deciding who gets the job.

What gets you the job is a good interview where you demonstrate that you actually want this job because you love it and are willing to work hard, regardless where you come from.

What university you went to does not mean one little bit, unless you absolutely woo them with a Harvard PhD.

Do you realise every Victorian Uni follows the same curriculum?

b^3, my mother's school prefers Vic uni over Melbourne?

I am well aware of that the curriculums follow the same course outlines. However I respectfully disagree that your marks in University and where you went mean nothing in terms of finding employment. When breaking into the industry, some people will not even consider people without prior experience in the field unless they went to particular Universities. It is great that your parents are open minded like this. Unfortunately, not everyone is. I only hope I get someone like them to interview me.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

BorisPeters

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 10:48:01 pm »
sd
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:01:33 pm by BorisPeters »

Panicmode

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +46
  • School: De La Salle College Malvern
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 10:50:57 pm »
+2
@Panicmode:

What are you basing your information off?

You can disagree all you want, but find evidence for me that they give a shit about your marks?

What industry are we talking about?
I'm basing this off my brother having difficulty finding employment after completing his degree.

I am of course talking about the industry I wish to join, medicine / pharmaceuticals / research.

This is not the case for all industries I know.
2012 Biomedicine @ UoM

BorisPeters

• New South Welsh
  • Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 10:55:36 pm »
Click here to hide this post again.
November 04, 2011, 10:55:36 pm - Hidden.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:01:21 pm by BorisPeters »

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 03:26:03 am »
Medicine doesn't at all matter. All the course are accredited by the AMA and follow more or less the same cirriculum. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

As for research that usually entails a PhD and if you have high enough marks to get a PhD you probably have high enough marks to move over to another uni if you so wish.

I know the law and commerce industries do pay attention to which uni you go to. I have heard around here if you did not go to UoM or Monash your chances of getting a job at these top companies is very very slim. If you are first starting off anyway. After you've had your first couple jobs it doesn't matter about where you got your degree from so much but where you have worked, ect.

It doesn't matter if theres a true difference in teaching quality or not (we can debate this till the cows come home) but there is a perceived difference in the minds of many people. In a situation where an employer gets 50 resumes for 1 job of course they'd choose what they consider the best they can get. So, just differentiating on resumes, i think they will look for people from UoM/Monash first in most cases. Especially for areas of abundance. If its an area of massive shortage like nursing, i doubt it matters very much at all.

Lets also please be respectful and respond to peoples arguments rather than swearing without presenting a good argument..

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2011, 09:22:23 am »
+3
It doesn't matter if theres a true difference in teaching quality or not (we can debate this till the cows come home) but there is a perceived difference in the minds of many people.

There is a difference in teaching quality, in general, between academics at VU and academics at UoM/MU. VU isn't atrocious but to suggest it's on par with the bigger universities is ridiculous. Academics follow money and when UoM spent millions on a new neuroscience building and just bought land and began construction on an infectious disease research lab, it's not hard to see where the best academics will be working.

VU is a competent university and the degree discrimination is not ideal, but it's unfortunately the way of the world that people (employers) will want the absolute best, even if the difference between them and the next best person is small.

nathhan.

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2011, 11:41:48 am »
what about courses such as Law/Business which require an atar of 84?
if somebody from a firm was to hire a person, would they be like 'nah he's from vu, i'll look last' or is there differences in the type of course undertaken? because from what i have gathered, VU takes a very practical approach in terms of their Law course. The only reason i'm asking is because i applied for a PPP scholarship for the course.

jerry_jefferson

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 04:26:21 pm »
José Ramos-Horta went to Vic uni and he seems to be doing very fine.

LOVEPHYSICS

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 12:58:08 am »
Law/Business in VU is 84, yes, but you have Monash whose law/commerce cutoff  is at 98. Besides, the atar score is also largely determined by supply and demand.  I think the legal culture in most first world countries is very much into prestige and reputation, that's just something to be aware of I guess.
Arts/Law (ANU)