Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:09:30 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231605 times)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4515 on: October 08, 2019, 10:17:46 pm »
+1
So a lot of past papers state "use the stimulus below as a starting point." How exactly do I use a stimulus- do I quote it. do I talk about the ideas within it? These are for the essays btw. Just a bit confused of how to integrate them, as I've never actually been taught how.

Hey, dani01!

I would use the stimulus as the basis of your essay's judgement and answer to the question. If it's a statement or quote about the module and/or its concepts, you would discuss the ideas that emerge from it and decide on themes from your text that best illustrate those ideas. You wouldn't have to quote it directly if it isn't specified in the question but I do recommend quoting it anyway so you can engage more deeply with its ideas.

As for having an extract from the text as a stimulus, I would highly encourage discussing the ideas and themes that reflect it and using it as textual evidence in the essay itself. You were welcome to include your own prepared techniques in your analysis too! Hope that helps  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4516 on: October 08, 2019, 10:30:50 pm »
+1
Hey Angelina! Just wanted to clarify with you about that essay question.

In other words, do you have to link back to setting (eg. how Oceania is decrepit, how the populace is dehumanised) in every example you use?

What are some other likely literary devices that they may specify?

Hey, worldno1!

If the question specifies a technique, it's definitely a good idea to link back to setting since it is being asked as the dominant language form/feature to analyse. That being said, your links should still be human experience-centred for this particular module; with this example of setting, consider how constructions of place using language in texts can help the audience better engage with the contemporary world and its dynamics.

As for specifying language forms or features to use, I would assume that they would keep them quite broad and use "umbrella" techniques such as imagery, narration, voice, genre conventions (narrative, dramatic, cinematic, poetic etc.). This is so you can expand and elaborate with more detailed evidence (so with imagery, you could look at all the different types of sensory imagery or with dramatic conventions, you could explore stage directions, props, lighting and sound effects). Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

violet123

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4517 on: October 09, 2019, 10:41:16 pm »
Hi,
When analysing quotes, in a circumstance where there is no technique but I want to use the quote, is there any technique that is general and I can apply to a lot of quotes?

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4518 on: October 10, 2019, 08:37:57 am »
+1
Hi,
When analysing quotes, in a circumstance where there is no technique but I want to use the quote, is there any technique that is general and I can apply to a lot of quotes?

Hi!

I don't think there is one technique that can apply to every quote.
However, some things you could look out for could include imagery (visual, visceral etc.), syntax, type of language used (high modality, emotive etc.), allusion, or symbol/motif.

Or, if you could pair the quote with another shorter quote that emphasises your point / explanation, that is also a good option.

Hope this helps!
 :)

therese07

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #4519 on: October 10, 2019, 08:02:45 pm »
Hi there!!

I was just wondering for HSC, can we write just "1984", instead of "Nineteen Eighty Four"? is that allowed?

Thank you!!
2020: Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Law @ Macquarie University

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #4520 on: October 10, 2019, 08:23:33 pm »
+1
Hi there!!

I was just wondering for HSC, can we write just "1984", instead of "Nineteen Eighty Four"? is that allowed?

Thank you!!

Write out the full title in the introduction but then add (1984) in brackets so you can use the abbreviation after eg. Nineteen Eighty Four (1984)
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4521 on: October 11, 2019, 07:41:11 am »
Hey,
Any advice for preparing for module C?
Should I prepare a discursive, persuasive and creative?

_Himani_

• Adventurer
« Reply #4522 on: October 12, 2019, 09:57:15 am »
Hiya all!
For Mod A my prescribed texts include 7 poems (Keats: The Complete Poems) and currently in my prepared scaffolds, I have discussed 4 of these. Should I also include the other three as part of my existing scaffold or plan for them to fit my ideas so I can exchange which poems I use on the day? In other words, would it be better to talk about all 7 poems in my response or should I prepare all of them but only talk about a few?
Thank You and good luck everyone- we can do it!

elewisdando

• Adventurer
« Reply #4523 on: October 12, 2019, 10:07:16 am »
Could you say that fragmented sentences are a post-modern technique?

infinityandbeyond

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4524 on: October 12, 2019, 05:38:38 pm »
Hey eleswisdando,

Honestly, if fragmented sentences add meaning to post-modernist concepts, it can be said to be post-modernist but remember that fragmented sentences were used heavily in Modernism literature like Eliot's poetry for example. I guess it's just better calling it just a technique.

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4525 on: October 13, 2019, 09:44:01 am »
Hey!
I just want to ask if we choose to include context, should it be placed before QTE or after it ?

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4526 on: October 13, 2019, 12:13:30 pm »
Hi all,

So for a question like: Choose a character from ONE prescribed text that you have studied in Module C. Using the voice of this figure, write their thoughts and feelings on a concept from their text as if they were writing on it.
How would I answer this if my Mod C texts don't actually have a character in them? As in, all my mod c texts are either a speech or an essay. So would i just write my response from the perspective of the author of one of my Mod C texts?

violet123

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4527 on: October 13, 2019, 12:37:22 pm »
Hi,
can someone help on how to answer a narrative voice question from module b? I am studying Emma btw.

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4528 on: October 13, 2019, 12:48:34 pm »
+2
Hi,
can someone help on how to answer a narrative voice question from module b? I am studying Emma btw.

throughout your analysis you could integrate phrases such as 'free indirect discourse' which is the style Emma is written in and it also pertains to narrative voice! and i think you could also probably talk about how everything is pretty much from emma's perspective, so the narrative voice is in fact limited in that it only offers her perspective. hope this helps :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4529 on: October 13, 2019, 02:25:53 pm »
+2
Hi,

Hey, violet123!

Definitely can second Emily's points on free indirect discourse and omniscient limited third-person perspective being the key language forms that contribute to constructing narrative voice  :D To add to this, you would need to make sure your response highlights how narrative voice contributes to the text's enduring value. Since the module is particularly focused on the timelessness of the text, you would argue that narrative voice enables the text to "speak" (pun intended) to audiences across different contexts and retains importance because of the values that are communicated through said voice. This will elevate your response and address both the specified language form in the question and the demands of the critical study. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-